Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Wood Stoves and Knives
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: Re: Re: 1.98 knife / 1.2oz saw solution on 01/30/2010 21:32:14 MST Print View

This is the one I was talking about model 780 :
http://www.swedishknives.com/760craft.htm
from ragweed- "Triflex is a carbon steel with a differential heat treatment, so the edge is hard and the spine of the blade is tough. "

There is nothing like a real saw though, I havent taken one on a trip yet.

Michael Meiser
(mmeiser) - F

Locale: Michigan
Re: Re: Re: Re: 1.98 knife / 1.2oz saw solution on 01/31/2010 05:49:46 MST Print View

Thanks, one of these days will have to order one. A bit heavy for my purposes, but incredible value.

Edited by mmeiser on 01/31/2010 05:53:17 MST.

Troy Ammons
(tammons) - F
Wood Stoves and Knives on 01/31/2010 09:41:25 MST Print View

The becker necker weighs about 4.5 oz with the sheath and is tough. I wrapped the handle with silicone rescue tape to make it a bit more comfortable to use. Also added some paracord to the sheath to make a failsafe loop to hold the knife in.

Michael Meiser
(mmeiser) - F

Locale: Michigan
Re: Wood Stoves and Knives on 01/31/2010 09:59:46 MST Print View

That Becker Knecker is quite a knife.

Picture for reference.
Becker Necker knife

If the specs on the official kabar page page are correct it's quite light too at 2.4oz without the sheath. What's more while listed at $56 on kabar's site it looks like it generally sells for $30-35.

Blade is a little short at 3 1/4 for use with a baton... only negative I see.

https://www.kabar.com/product/productDetail.do?productNumber=BK11

- Weight: 0.15 lb
- Blade length: 3.25"
- Overall length: 6.75"
- Grind: Flat
- Shape: Drop Point
- Stamp: KA-BAR Becker
- HRC: 56-58
- Edge Angle: 15 Degrees
- Steel: 1095 cro-van

Note: gives me a good idea, I should put a bottle opener notch in the end of my home made wood splitting knife posted above. No trouble and actually removes unecissary weight.

Edited by mmeiser on 01/31/2010 10:01:18 MST.

Troy Ammons
(tammons) - F
Re: Re: Wood Stoves and Knives on 01/31/2010 11:13:27 MST Print View

The specs are right.
I weighed mine and the knife alone was around 2.4 oz.

The blade is thick too. I have not measured it but it looks to be about 3/8" maybe ??

Good finish.

Its sharp but the factory edge looks like it was done with a 60 grit wheel. Needs a good bit of work.

I have been looking for a drop point blade with this same shape but with about a 4-4.25" blade but have yet to find one. It is a bit small for batoning wood but for small stuff like for a wood stove it works fine.

Also makes a good small hunting knife and the price is not bad.

This is what mine looks like after wrapping it with rescue tape.

I added a paracord loop, and a paracord wrap to lock the blade in, after I almost cut my thumb off trying to wrap the handle with paracord. It locks in pretty good withthe factory sheath, but it will still pop out if you are doing something stupid and slip like I was.

At any rate if the bottom loop is loose as shown the knife will come out. Pulled tight it will not and is locked in by the cord.

Weighs 5 oz as shown.

Becker Necker

Troy Ammons
(tammons) - F
Wood Stoves and Knives on 01/31/2010 12:13:23 MST Print View

I think my next knife will be a Becker BK2.
Not light by any means, but tough, 1/4" full tang blade you can do anything with. The blade is a little long at 5.25" but for a knife you could use for chopping or batoning any sort of wood, it would be ideal.
More of a survival knife really.

The handle does come off, but unfortuantely the tang is not skelitonized.

There are a ton of youtubes on both the BK11 and BK2 Becker knives.

BK2

I used to cook 100% on a wood fire back years ago. Had a cool fold down swiss made ultralight bow wood saw. Still have it somewhere and it is a real wood cutting machine. Heavy by todays standards but still nice. Expensive back then too.

Over all the years I have wood cooked the most useful tools I have used were a swiss army knife with a saw, the folding saw above, IE a real saw you can cut some serious wood with.

Ideally for me, if I were going out where I would need to work with wood everyday, I would take one of two setups.

Light - a becker necker and a swiss army knife with a saw

or

Heavy for heavier work with wood - Something like a becker BK2, or a real knife that can take some abuse, along with a 1/2 oz buck hartsook

Hartsook

for light knife work and stuff a Gerber collapsable saw in the pack. One of these.

Amazing what you can do with this 3oz saw.Gerber Sport saw

Edited by tammons on 01/31/2010 12:17:23 MST.