Here is the info on making carbon fiber tubing for a camp stool project.
As background I started with the “ultralight” Roll-A Stool® at 14oz. which uses 3/4” aluminum tube for the legs. I cut off some of the tubing and took off the strap etc. and got a very short stool at 10 oz. This stool was stable but actually not much better than sitting on the ground as it was very short. Then I bought 1/2” graphite kite spars and assembled a copy of the Roll-A-Stool® with this thinner stock. The whole thing was never stable (i.e. too much flex) and eventually failed at the joints, but it did only weigh 5.5oz! So I figured I’d have to increase the diameter of the tubing for stability The 3/4” graphite kite spars would have cost about $70+ dollars for one stool so I got the cheaper (but heavier) fiberglass kite spars. That stool weighed about 10 oz, but was a useable 19” high. It was then I started exploring the idea of making my own graphite tubing in a 3/4” diameter.
The following two web addresses are what guided me and have excellent instructions on how to make tubing and what carbon fiber is all about.
The following was also useful
and in addition I have purchased all of my carbon sleeve, fabric and epoxy from this last site. Unfortunately, there is a shortage of carbon fabric in the world right now so you may have to surf around.
Basically, to make my 3/4” graphite tube about 22” long, I started with 1/2” copper pipe in two foot lengths, sanded smooth, then axel grease applied to the pipe, then spiral wrapped the pipe with vinyl tape (non sticky tape like surveyors use). Then I cut a 2 foot long piece of unidirectional carbon fabric just wide enough to wrap around my vinyl taped pipe one time. This is oriented with the fibers running the length of the pipe. (leave a little of the pipe exposed at one end) That fabric was held in place by a few spiral wraps of regular sewing thread. Just enough thread to keep the fabric from falling off. Epoxy was applied to the fabric to thoroughly soak it and then I slid a piece of carbon sleeve over the fabric, snugged it down and basted that layer with epoxy. The whole thing was then hung vertically to dry. After it dried I lightly sanded the outside of the tube (still on the copper pipe form) and appled a thin coat of epoxy to the whole tube. After that dried I clamped the exposed end of the copper pipe and pulled the graphite tube off. The vinyl tape will be stuck to the graphite inside your tube. Carefully coax the tape out by gently pulling and twisting it. Viola! A graphite tube, just cut to length. If you want it stiffer and stronger use more layers of unidirectional fabric. I tried it with just sleeve alone, but that was not strong enough for a stool.
Sorry couldn't find any good pictures.
P.S.-I forgot to mention that working with epoxy is somewhat tricky so follow the manufactuer's instructions and always wear protective gear, never get it on you skin and use in a well ventilated area.