Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Baking Muffins - MmmMmmmHmmm!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Warping on 09/22/2009 13:45:18 MDT Print View

HAA seems to do well. Controlled low heat especially helps. This is where alchy stoves can really shine - as the heat if spread all over - where as a canister stove has a red hot center.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
baking on 09/22/2009 13:55:51 MDT Print View

Dan - if you use the riser idea I mentioned then you don't need water or pebbles. Also Tinny of MiniBull design has a great video on baking with an alcohol stove - you should check it out.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Silicone on 09/22/2009 17:50:14 MDT Print View

At less than a 0.25g penalty for 2 silicone cups vs. aluminum foil, that seems like the way to go. The durability is a big selling point for me.

Michael Skwarczek
(uberkatzen) - F

Locale: Sudamerica
baking with woodstove on 10/13/2009 22:02:51 MDT Print View

This was my first real success at baking on the trail, thought I'd add my CO2 to the thread:

At home I prepared my mix: Bisquick butter biscuit, salt, 1/2 cup grated parmesian, dehydrated chives, mixed in baggies. I first tested the plain Bisquick batter using a caldera cone and simmer ring. It worked, it was bland, and so I doctored the recipe for the trail.

My plan was to do a mixed method of steaming and then dry air baking by allowing the water to boil off. I laid rocks into the pot 1" over a 1/2" water level, and followed a general timing of 15-20min baking, and 5min rest. I never removed the lid until I was ready to eat.

In camp I preped my pot and stove, formed a mold out of aluminum foil, and readied my mix by adding water, mushing it in the baggie and squeezing that into my mold.

It came out great, and delicious. The pics here are from the second round. I cheated a little this time, and skipped the stove, using my pot stand to elevate the pot above some coals at the edge of our camp fire. This time was even better with the heat from the surrounding fire.

Thanks for the inspiration everyone...

bakingpotstand

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

yum on 10/14/2009 09:57:35 MDT Print View

very cool!! looks yummy too!

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Steam Baking on 10/14/2009 17:29:50 MDT Print View

When steam baking I don't use rocks anymore. Just add enough water to the pot to float the batter/dough filled Ti400 cup. Works great and leaves me enough water for a cuppa.

Michael Skwarczek
(uberkatzen) - F

Locale: Sudamerica
Re: Steam Baking with TiCup on 10/15/2009 09:53:32 MDT Print View

Oh, of course, I should have used my cup. Is there any downside to that? How much batter can you put in the cup, or any mold, without having issues like uncooked batter? 1", 1.5", 2"?

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: Re: Steam Baking with TiCup on 10/15/2009 10:22:14 MDT Print View

With Betty Crocker Warm Ones, I can fill my Evernew 400 about half full. A little less with Bisquick or Corn Bread.

Keith Selbo
(herman666) - F - M

Locale: Northern Virginia
more on steamed muffins on 10/15/2009 10:31:34 MDT Print View

We eat muffins for breakfast about every other day on the trail. Put enough mix for two muffins in a small Glad baking bag, add water, knead until well mixed. Drop in 2qt. pot with about half inch of boiling water in the bottom, cook for 20 minutes. They don't brown, but taste and texture seems to be about the same.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: more on steamed muffins on 10/15/2009 10:48:05 MDT Print View

I put pre-cooked sausage or bacon in my biscuit batter. Wish I had two right now.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Trail Use on 10/25/2009 23:25:49 MDT Print View

I finally got a chance to bake some muffins on the trail. My wife and I cooked two banana chocolate chip muffins in about 30-35 min on approx. 1 oz of methanol using my FeatherFire stove open 1 full turn (out of 6).

The muffins were delicious and I'm going to keep doing this, but we do need to make more somehow in the future. One muffin each is really just a tease.JDF16

Edited by dandydan on 10/25/2009 23:28:14 MDT.

Jeff Antig
(Antig)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Trail Use on 10/26/2009 00:07:42 MDT Print View

Use the large "Squishy Bowl"

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

squishy muffin bowl on 10/26/2009 07:22:17 MDT Print View

That's a fantastic idea Jeff!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Trail Use on 10/26/2009 09:08:18 MDT Print View

And the squishy bowls are silicone as well - in all honesty, most any silicone baking dish will work great. Just look for a temp rating of 350 to 450* :-)

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
MUFFIN steam-baking / Instructional video: on 10/26/2009 10:04:15 MDT Print View

MUFFIN steam-baking skills!

Instructional video:

http://www.vimeo.com/772798

adam blanton
(adamallstar) - MLife

Locale: Central Texas
baking cups on 10/26/2009 10:41:29 MDT Print View

What Size are the silicone baking cups used in the video, 3 inch or 1.9 inch?

JJ Mathes
(JMathes) - F

Locale: Southeast US
Steam baking on 01/05/2010 16:52:48 MST Print View

Since first reading this thread I knew I wanted to give steam baking a try. Bought the silicon cups, baked muffins, cornbread, biscuits and scrambled eggs. YUMM!

my question is, how well do paper cups work with steam baking?

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Steam baking on 01/05/2010 20:51:36 MST Print View

Paper gets soggy but the aluminum cupcake liners sold next to them in stores work perfect! They are as light as the paper :-)

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Re: Re: Steam baking on 01/06/2010 12:24:16 MST Print View

Many of those aluminum ones are paper lined and it just creates a mess when steam baking. Just my opinion, but the silicone ones are the way to go and the muffins come out nicely.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Steam baking on 01/06/2010 12:34:01 MST Print View

On the foil ones....Reynolds sells them and while they are stacked foil, paper, foil,paper....all one does is pluck the paper off and use the foil. They do this for two reasons: the foil doesn't stick together when shipped and as well when most people bake muffins they want the paper for the inside and the foil for show.
So simple: you just use the foil. Not hard at all. The weight is extremely minimal for a pack.

While silicone liners do work best they also weigh the most of all options. And are much pricier when a person is not sure they will be doing a lot of steam baking.