Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Bad Tasting Dromlites
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jason Ham
(jasonham) - MLife

Locale: Sierra Nevada
Bad Tasting Dromlites on 03/03/2006 16:06:46 MST Print View

Does anyone have any ideas about removing the plasticy taste from the Dromlites? Any special soaks? Baking Soda? Vinegar? Both? I just drink water out of them without any drink mixes and I can seem to shake that plastic taste.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen Eggleston
(happycamper) - F

Locale: South Bayish
Re: Bad Tasting Dromlites on 03/04/2006 09:27:11 MST Print View

I have experience with the MSR Dromedary bag, which I will assume uses the same coating as the dromlite. My suggestion is to do the things which will promote the leaching process. For example fill the bag with hot water and let it sit until it cools then empty and repeat. Also do the soaks suggested by MSR like soaking with vinegar overnight. Also store the bag sans cap in a ventilated manner to promote release of the the 'stinky stuff' into the air.

Given the nature of the coating on these bags you have to expect more distasteful leaching than you might experience with hard plastics.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Bad Tasting Dromlites on 11/03/2012 18:55:44 MDT Print View

The water in mine just started tasting bad/stale. Blamed it on lake water , but still tastes bad at home with good water. Any ideas on getting rid of the funk?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Bad Tasting Dromlites on 11/03/2012 20:50:19 MDT Print View

baking soda? try it - can't hurt

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Or on 11/04/2012 10:58:27 MST Print View

Sometimes diluted bleach or white vinegar works, depending on what is creating the taste, but never mix the two.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Bad Tasting Dromlites on 11/04/2012 11:13:48 MST Print View

Bleach is next. Baking soda, no effect. Soap and hot water was tried first. Thanks.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
Bleach on 11/04/2012 13:56:23 MST Print View

I vote bleach too. Works well for me on platy style bags from various manufacturers.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Bleach on 11/04/2012 14:01:11 MST Print View

After treating with bleach, treat it with vinegar to neutralize the bad bleach taste

Then, after treating it with vinegar, treat it with baking soda to neutralize the vinegar