Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
'mids in the rain
Display Avatars Sort By:
M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah
"mids in the rain" on 09/18/2009 19:39:04 MDT Print View

I have used a BD Megamid and a Mountain Hardwear Kiva extensively in the rain without any problems. Have almost always used them in floorless mode for the advantage of not having to worry about spilled food, liquids, rain coming in through the door...etc...
I've used these as kitchen tents on many a long trek as well without any problem. I've never had any netting in them however. When there are enough bugs out that I want netting I take a different kind of shelter. I've always liked mids for their simplicity and adding a floor or netting seems to make things complicated.

I just got a new MLD Supermid and I'll be spending 6 nights in it on the JMT week with another person. Should be interesting to see how it compares with my 11 year old megamid.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: "mids in the rain" on 09/18/2009 19:41:54 MDT Print View

Martin,
I am looking forward to your report. Hope all goes well. Have a great trip.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Mid vestibule on 09/18/2009 19:43:18 MDT Print View

You could always put down a polycro groundsheet to cover part of the vestibule area. It wont be a bathtub design, but could help prevent things getting too muddy and provide good area for getting out of wet clothes.

Edited by jephoto on 09/18/2009 19:46:08 MDT.

Michael Fogarty
(mfog1) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Trip and Supermid report on 09/18/2009 19:45:04 MDT Print View

Martin,
Please post a combo trip & gear report when you get back! I've been contemplating using my Supermid for an upcoming trip in October, but want to use my Cuben Patrol more so. The Supermid would probably be warmer with 2 inside, pitched tight to the ground. I just might use it, instead of the Patrol? My buddy can carry the water filter and I'll carry the Supermid.

Edited by mfog1 on 09/18/2009 19:46:15 MDT.

Joseph Reeves
(Umnak)

Locale: Southeast Alaska
Pyramid and the rain on 09/18/2009 23:34:47 MDT Print View

We use a 9x9 Oware Pyramid here in Southeast Alaska's Tongass rainforest from September through April. The rainy season begins in August and lasts until November, then it either snows or continues to sprinkle. Two of us with gear in the Pyramid makes for a comfortable shelter. We try to place the bivy sacks away from the open door but sometimes that doesn't work, especially at night. It really doesn't matter that a bit of rain comes in the door, but our goal is to be fast!
Pyramid Tarp Camp

Edited by Umnak on 09/18/2009 23:36:00 MDT.

Jeff Moody
(BigTiki) - F
Rain on 09/19/2009 03:14:41 MDT Print View

Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not trying to be a wise guy but what are you doing that you need to go in and out of your shelter so much in the heavy rain? Usually when I encounter bad weather and have to shelter I stay sheltered for the long haul or if I do have to go out I try to time it with a lull in the weather. Just curious?

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Rain on 09/19/2009 07:56:56 MDT Print View

Jeff,
We're not in and out much. We usually sit tight.

But the occasions will arise and knowing beforehand what to expect minimizes surprises. I would not want to invest (and I do mean Invest) in a shelter combination that keeps me tent bound because of poor design.

Edited by greg23 on 09/19/2009 08:07:01 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Rain on 09/19/2009 15:17:03 MDT Print View

What Greg said - exactly.

Cheers
(When you gotta go in the night, you just gotta go ...)