Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Huckleberry Lovers!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Huckleberry Lovers! on 09/16/2009 21:07:58 MDT Print View

This month has produced some very good Huckleberries up in the hinterlands. (I was in a crop last week that was unbelievable right on the PCT here in Washington - nickel sized and bigger.)
I love nothing more about hiking than picking berries and have no self righteous qualms about responsible picking (so if you have some burr in yer tail about causal pickin', keep it to your self!) Picking berries is a great family hike for bonding and you gets to eats when you are done. Woowoo!

Kirk and I did an article for Washington Trails Magazine this month on Huckleberry recipes. The PDF for the recipes is online and can be found through this link:
http://www.wta.org/trail-news/signpost/huckleberry-bites

Double Ginger Huckleberry Cobbler

In a sandwich bag:
2/3 cup baking mix (i.e.:Bisquick®)
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp diced candied ginger
1/4 tsp dry ginger powder

In a snack bag:
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp corn starch
1/4 tsp True® Lime or Lemon powder

In camp:
Pick about 1 cup fresh Huckleberries, making sure stems are plucked off. That is about 4 handfuls of berries.

Add 1/4 cup cool water to the baking mix bag and knead gently till mixed. Seal and set aside.

Add 1 cup water to your pot and stir in the small sugar bag till dissolved. Add in the berries and bring the pot to a boil. Lower the flame on your stove to as low as it will go and quickly add in the prepared baking mix by dropping in spoonfuls on the hot berry mixture. Put on the pot's lid and simmer gently on low heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until the topping is done.

Photobucket

Edited by sarbar on 09/16/2009 21:18:57 MDT.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
leave some for me on 09/16/2009 22:34:07 MDT Print View

I can't get out until next week so could you please a few bushes for me, thanks.

Dicentra OPW
(dicentra) - F

Locale: PNW
Huckleberry Jam on 09/16/2009 22:52:09 MDT Print View

Sooo... didja get enough for jam? I'll tradeja!

For those who don't know, Sar makes a kick as huckleberry jam every year. I'm down to my last jar...

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: leave some for me on 09/16/2009 23:08:30 MDT Print View

Check! I told the bears to leave you some as well :-D

Di, I found Red Huckleberries and the tiny wild Blackberries - the little pinkie fingernail sized ones today. Oh wow!

Dicentra OPW
(dicentra) - F

I've got... on 09/16/2009 23:12:23 MDT Print View

blackberries. Lots and LOTS of blackberries...

We won't talk about the pears - lordy. Fruit overload.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: I've got... on 09/17/2009 07:45:48 MDT Print View

Hoping tomorrow I will get into the fields off the PCT - J and I are going hiking if the rain clears. We are going cross country so the picking should be good. Do you remember a couple years ago where I slid on the side hill and had an HB branch go through my knee? There :-D The bushes were what, 6 feet tall?
Wish you had tomorrow off!

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Trade time on Steven's Pass on 09/17/2009 08:34:51 MDT Print View

In the age old native tradition of a barter gathering I propose we meet up on Steven's Pass and I'll swap you a box of fresh organic apples for every pint of huckleberries. And I'll through in some fall raspberries ... 14 pears ... a quart of fresh salsa fresca ... and some bright shiny beads.
Did I mention my dog is named Huckleberry?huckleberry
Oh well, guess I'll take a right turn at Smithbrook and pick my own.

Dicentra OPW
(dicentra) - F

pears and apples and berries... on 09/17/2009 10:25:23 MDT Print View

Larry,

normally I'd totally take you up on that offer, but I have pears and apples and berries all coming out my ears right now! A whole tree of pears (about 10 gallons worth?) then a whole tree of Asian pear apples, which are ripening in my kitchen right now before I do anything with them... There's about 35+ cups of blackberries in the freezer.

btw - that area near smithbrook? LOADED with berries. Big fat juicy ones... but that was 3-4 weeks ago. I was just on the other side of the hill, on the PCT (and sadly no time to pick any) Have fun!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Trade time on Steven's Pass on 09/17/2009 11:00:52 MDT Print View

Larry, I like your thinking ;-)

Dicentra OPW
(dicentra) - F

It's a possibility... on 09/17/2009 11:08:59 MDT Print View

I was thinking of heading up that way on sunday... I could bring jam and pears... but how do I get them back to Sarah?

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

follow the trail of muffin crumbs on 09/17/2009 21:06:44 MDT Print View

Follow the trail of muffin crumbs, stop anybody with suspicious stained lips and fingers, look for tattered WTA magazines attached to bamboo trail wands, she CAN be found....

Dicentra OPW
(dicentra) - F

Did Someone say JAM??? on 09/20/2009 09:21:46 MDT Print View

Oh yeah. We made jam yesterday all right. Two huge batches! Blueberry and Blackberry. NOM!Jam

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Did Someone say JAM??? on 09/20/2009 10:24:09 MDT Print View

Yes, we did! 24 jars worth of tasty Blueberry and Blackberry jam :-D Yum! I even donated some of my hand picked beauties ;-)

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

2009 berry picking season on 09/21/2009 21:46:02 MDT Print View

2009 Huckleberry Picking SeasonHere's what I think...

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: 2009 berry picking season on 09/21/2009 22:39:27 MDT Print View

OMG, I love it :-D

You make me sound like if you approach me in the berry bushes I will let out a mighty roar, beat my chest and rip the hiker to shreds.

Hehheh!!!! Just call me Momma Sar-Bear! Rowr!

Now I just need to teach Ford to climb the nearest tree with all the berries when other pickers approach :-D

PS: In all seriousness, if we happen to meet in person, I snagged a couple jars of our tasty blue and Huckleberry Jam that Di and I made! It was quite tasty and a jar would be yours!

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Revenge of the Vibram Rock Monster on 09/23/2009 12:50:35 MDT Print View

Well maybe it's not quit revenge and maybe I'm not exactly a vibram rock monster but all this talk about berries and being stuck in the valley was too much.
I decided to take the long way via Smithbrook Rd. to do a traverse of Poet's Ridge from Irving Pass to Whittier Peak-Mt.Jonathon-Mt.David and back.
Many, many "Sarahs" had been up on Smithbrook because the berries, they be gone.
Eventually reaching the trail I noted a few possibilities for picking on the way out if I made it out before dark that is.
[please replace next paragraph with soundtrack of grunting and sweat hitting the dust]me
I managed my return two days later and proceeded to pick about a half a bear cannister of huckleberries.
Since I didn't need to be back until the next day I camped along the Little Wenatchee River at Soda Springs.[had the whole place to myself]
Realizing I wouldn't be baking any huckleberry muffins soon and knowing I couldn't top Sarah's anyway I offer you the Soda Springs Huckleberry Lemonade,lemonade
Carbonated Water from Soda Springs source
Organic Lemonade Mix
8 Huckleberries - 4 crushed, 4 thrown on top
Carry down to Little Wenatchee River, sip until sun disappears behind the Cascades.

[Any Northwest families that are going to be near Lake Wenatchee should take their kids up to Soda Springs Primitive Campground, the cabonated mineral water bubbles out of a spring, just mix in a powdered drink mix.]

Edited by pyeyo on 09/23/2009 13:00:15 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Revenge of the Vibram Rock Monster on 09/23/2009 15:00:24 MDT Print View

LOVE the drink!
I have hiked that area and I didn't know about Soda Springs - I am so taking Ford there! He would love it :-D

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

soda springs on 09/23/2009 17:19:33 MDT Print View

Soda Springs is a primitive [pit toilet] no fee campsite and like everything in the Lake Wenatchee drainage very prone to las moscas y los mosquitos in the season.

It easily found about 9 miles up the Little Wenatchee River that is just a continuation of the road along Lake Wenatchee. There is an old growth forest trail that wends its way down to the river that is pretty neat. The carbonated springs are on your left just across from the campground info sign, there is a bench there where you can watch it bubble, pretty high mineral content, there is an explanation on the forest sign. Taste just like one of those fancy European bottled waters to me.

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: Huckleberry Lovers! on 09/23/2009 17:25:26 MDT Print View

Nickel-sized huckleberries!? No way. Were they red ones or evergreen? (They had to be red if they were that size).

We have some huckleberry bushes on our property in the Puget Sound, some of which reach about 14 feet tall and they sometimes fruit all the way through December. 'Love 'em.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: soda springs on 09/23/2009 18:53:16 MDT Print View

Larry, I need to get back over there. I don't often hike off of Hwy 2 since I moved South/East. Had a friend whose family had a rustic cabin on the lake. It was SO much fun to stay there - and the hiking, yeah, top notch!

On berries: there is something about HBerry plants that grow on the eastside, barely over the crest, in drainage's. They are often the best berry producers. Big dark berries that are so sweet.