5 day October Menu help
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jay Cramin
(jcramin) - F

Locale: South
5 day October Menu help on 09/15/2009 06:49:47 MDT Print View

My son and I and a friend and his son are planning to do the Eagle Rock Loop in the Ouachita National Forest on October 9-13. This is going to be for the boys Backpacking Merit Badge for Boy Scouts, so it will be a 5 days and 30 miles, so we plan on doing some of the Points of Interest that are on the side trails so we can make a minimum 30 miles.

My last long backpacking trip I took was Philmont in 1979 and I know things have changed. Usually we only take 3 day trips.

Can someone give me some ideas of food with some variety that teens may eat too ? We will be carrying all our food with us for the full trip.

We will probably need dinner the first day and breakfast and lunch the last day and all meals the middle 3 days.

Thank you all for any help you can give us,
J

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: 5 day October Menu help on 09/15/2009 08:07:07 MDT Print View

I don't let my son eat picky at home so he will eat anything on the trail (for the most part). Teens usually have bottomless appetites so calories really come into play - not juts 3 meals but also 3 to 6 snacks per full day. You want a mix of easy to digest foods for the teens. Watch how much he eats at home and base what he needs off of that.
Realize that they can eat an entire pot of food and be hungry an hour later ;-)

But more so, before you decide on foods - get the two teens involved in the planning. Ask them what they want to eat, how much prep are they willing to do - how much food weight the want to carry. Find out if they expect dessert at night, if they can live on 3 meals a day or if they need to eat every hour to not crash.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
food for four on 09/15/2009 10:07:17 MDT Print View

J - Do you have access to a food dehydrator? If not, you can use an oven set very low. This is a great time to teach the kids how to dry something simple like spaghetti sauce and that also may open up room to earn some other sort of badge perhaps.

The best place to start is by finding out if the boy has any food allergies and making a list of the things that the four of you absolutely dislike. Also an idea of the heartiness of your appetites would be good. Sometimes kids will eat less on a trip but often they will eat more especially by the third day. If you could post the info (or pm it to me) then I could really help you with a menu and send along some recipe ideas and instructions.