Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Combined order for green cuben - Anybody want some?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Matthew Dunn
(Boddunn) - F

Locale: Kirby Muxloe
Re: Is it weird to be excited about cuben fibre? on 09/27/2009 15:27:48 MDT Print View

Me too! : O )
It's ok, I can use the spray booth at work to measure and cut the material as it's cleaned every few days and there's lots of space to work in. Tim mentioned he uses sharp scissors to cut cuben although I've also heard of using razors too; I have both so I'll test them on my bit to what works best.

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Locale: Cascadia
My 2 yards on 09/27/2009 17:07:38 MDT Print View

It doesn't seem like my 2 yards are going to work out that well since I'm in Canada and seemingly no one else is. If someone from the USA needs my 2 yards to make 9 yards, then I'll gladly buy 2 yards from you, but otherwise it doesn't seem worth the hassle.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Re: Is it weird to be excited about cuben fibre? on 09/27/2009 17:34:46 MDT Print View

Matt,

I do use scissors to cut the .33 cuben. However i don't know if it will work on the .75 stuff. Also i don't cut with them like you normally use scissors. I only open them a little and then push them along the cut line instead of chomping to cut. Chomping with them is useless.

-Tim

Lynne Thompson
(LynneT) - F

Locale: Highbury
UK orders on 09/28/2009 02:41:45 MDT Print View

I'm very happy to go with 7 metres for now.
Matt - I will let you know how the tent goes - just don't die laughing!! Designing will be a lot of fun.

Edit - 7.3 metres with a foldline is preferred for the extra fabric, but a plain 7m is fine also, no worries.

Edited by LynneT on 09/28/2009 02:56:46 MDT.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: UK orders on 09/28/2009 02:59:52 MDT Print View

Lynne, 7m is plenty for a two person tent. If you run short with your pattern I will have some offcuts for corner strengtheners etc.

OK, I'll fire the email of to Jon and pay with my cc for 18m. I'll PM my account number to you and Matt. If you'd be so kind as to put the funds into my account, that will all work out. The material will go to Mike Crosby, who will send it to Matt's work address for cutting and redistribution.

Matthew Dunn
(Boddunn) - F

Re: UK orders on 09/28/2009 03:08:52 MDT Print View

Perfect, it's sorted then. Just let me know who I need to pay and the long wait for the new toys to arrives begins ( I think the old adage of watched pots applies here, for me at least)
Rog, you posted as I was writing. No worries, just give me your account number and I can transfer the money to you or PayPal it as a gift if you prefer.

Edited by Boddunn on 09/28/2009 03:14:35 MDT.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Re: Re: UK orders on 09/28/2009 04:35:44 MDT Print View

Matt, cool, I'll let you know in due course.

Lynne, Ah, You edited while I wrote my post. Let's compare designs so we can work out who can best deal with the fold. I know my design will cope with it. I can always send you some spare material at a later stage.

Lynne Thompson
(LynneT) - F

Re: UK Orders on 09/28/2009 05:06:46 MDT Print View

Rog - I'll wait for PM.
USD23.46 x 7metres = USD164.22. Today's rate from natWest is 1.5040 (grim). My bank tells me this amount today is equal to £110.00 (£109.71) = not bad for an SUL tent.

You may need a second payment to cover any shortfall in your bank's daily USD/GBP exchange rate.

I'm after a tent for 2 that concertinas down from the INSIDE to a well ventilated bivy. We lost our common land with the Enclosure Act - I'm sure you know what that's about!

Matt - you need postage £s. Next Day Special Delivery covers insurance and could actually be cheapest.

Thanks to you both - and Mike too (steel rule and roller cutter?) - thanks a million!

Matthew Dunn
(Boddunn) - F

Re: Re: UK Orders on 09/28/2009 05:36:09 MDT Print View

Hi Lynne,
No worries about postage, I can post it by Next Day Special Delivery before 1pm for free (if I paid for it questions would be asked!).
I'm definitely intrigued about this Transformer tent, sounds pretty ingenious!

Lynne Thompson
(LynneT) - F

Re: Re: UK Orders on 09/28/2009 07:21:22 MDT Print View

Inside toggles and a net skirt; longer than usual peaks back and front covering large no-seeum nets placed high and above 8 inch bath; walking pole situated 1/3 way inside front vestibule. The vestibule folds away inside for a lower profile. More than this needs work. Failing this we all breathe in at the same time and wished we'd purchased a manufactured SUL. I will seriously share any half decent ideas, I'm here for the fun of it, and also would like to support Brits who are suffering under said Enclosure Act, although it doesn't sound like those here are suffering too much. So more later I think.

Postage, many thanks but please let me know if you need help.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Re: Re: UK Orders on 09/28/2009 07:33:13 MDT Print View

Lynne, there will be a one third share in shipping to Mike and international shipping to Matt to add, shouldn't be more than a tenner. I'll PM you details when I have a price.

Your tent design sound very interesting. I do a lot of stealth camping too, and know what you mean.

I'm going for an overgrown Six Moons wild oasis style big enough for a tallbloke. http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=48

We are planning to travel the world in a year or so and want something big enough to sit up comfortably in. The heavy items will be the zip and insect mesh. Failure is not an option on a long trip so I'm reluctantly going to use military grade gear I have in stock. I can always swap it out later I guess. Groundsheet will be plastic du jour. I found the Adventure Medical heat sheets are pretty light and a good size, and last much better than space blankets. I'll just gum these to the mesh and replace as needed with whatever is to hand once we run out. The single pole will be made from four sections of carbon fibre golf club shaft. These will also serve as pack stays to transfer weight from shoulders to hips when we are on the move. A long trip demands pack versatility and loads may not always be as tight as we'd like to have them.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Combined order for green cuben - Anybody want some? on 09/28/2009 21:49:02 MDT Print View

Catching up after being gone ...

Looks like the UK folks have worked out their order, correct?

The AUS folks needs add up to 9 yards so I'm assuming they will arrange to have a 9m length shipped to one of them who will cut it and forward it, that'll be more cost effective than a U.S. purchaser cutting and shipping to them.

Justin Ling will order 9 meters for himself?

That leaves:
Vick Hines interested in 4 yards
Myself interested in 6 yards
Jared Cook still a maybe,
able to provide a final answer "next month" (October?)
and Dan Durston interested in 2 yards
if we can make that fit into an order.

Do I have that correct?

Jared, are you able to name a more specific decision date?

I don't need the material right away, is Vick also able to wait?

If it ends up being just Vick and I ... a 9m length is 9.84 yards (9.527 feet) and if Vick can get by with 3 inches less than 4 yards then I'll make do with 3 inches less than 6 yards.

If Jared becomes a yes and can make do with 6 yards then we'd be able to accommodate Dan's interest in 2 yards if I order 18m and cut it into 6m, 6m, 4m and 2m lengths.

If Jared decides to get 9 then he's $$ ahead ordering directly from Cuben Tech

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Locale: Cascadia
My 2 Yards on 09/28/2009 22:51:32 MDT Print View

Sounds like good planning...it would be neat to get a hold of these 2 yards but I won't be distraught if it doesn't work out. I'll just keep an eye on this thread and paypal someone if they are willing to ship me 2 yards.

Peter Surna
(PedroArvy) - MLife

Locale: Melbourne
Yes the Aus folks are organising via me. on 09/28/2009 23:13:46 MDT Print View

Yes the Aus folks are organising via me.
Please email me if you are from Aus and I haven't contacted you.

Lynne Thompson
(LynneT) - F

Re: UK Orders on 09/29/2009 07:03:47 MDT Print View

Rog - thank you for your post, there's a lot of food for thought there, much appreciated.

Henry Blake
(Dragon) - F

Order Placed—Will Ship to Others on 09/29/2009 11:54:45 MDT Print View

I just placed an order with Jon for 18 meters (green, heavier material as everyone else). I can forward some smaller amounts to others needing some in the US, who have not yet made other arrangments to get some. PM me if you want some.

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Re: Combined order for green cuben - Anybody want some? on 09/29/2009 12:06:57 MDT Print View

Jim,
Sure, I can get by with 4" less. I'll be out of touch all next week, but contact me through this site for arrangements.
Vick

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Re: Re: Combined order for green cuben - Anybody want some? on 09/30/2009 02:44:40 MDT Print View

I now have the UK's order confirmed. There is an initial 50% payment to be made. I'll be dealing with that when I get back home thursday.

Jim, great, glad to see you back. List on page one should be up to date.

Henry, great, let us know if your offer affects our list.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: Combined order for green cuben - Anybody want some? on 09/30/2009 09:52:33 MDT Print View

I'm ordered too.

-Tim

Derek Goffin
(Derekoak)

Locale: North of England
late UK order on 10/01/2009 13:57:02 MDT Print View

Is it possible to jump in for 2 running metres at this late stage? Reading the thread the UK section seems to have got a bit of spare for people such as me. If it is what do I do?