Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Combined order for green cuben - Anybody want some?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: RE "Combined order for green cuben - Anybody want some?" on 09/21/2009 10:52:32 MDT Print View

Mike, I know I know. I have a hard time understanding the American love of being vague about yard - meter conversions too. I will seek clarification from Jon on the matter. :o)

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: "Combined order for green cuben - Anybody want some?" 「皆でまとめて緑色のキューベンを注文する人いませんか?」 on 09/21/2009 11:05:31 MDT Print View

I'd very much like to consider ordering some of this cuben, but seeing as I'm in Japan and way out of the way of most of the orders here, I wonder if I'd just be too out of the way? Are there any Japanese MYOG people here? 日本でキューベンを手に入れたい人いませんか?

Edited by butuki on 09/21/2009 11:07:43 MDT.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Re: Re: "Combined order for green cuben - Anybody want some?" on 09/21/2009 11:10:28 MDT Print View

Miguel, there are a few Japanese who post here. I would think You could join in with the Australians and get them to post yours on? How much are you after?

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Re: Re: "Combined order for green cuben - Anybody want some?" on 09/21/2009 12:49:24 MDT Print View

Rog,

Not sure what i am going to do yet. I get e-mails everyday about making cuben shelters. I just have to get people to commit before i can jump in line. The wait time is also an issue for me. Many of my customers would opt for white as they can get their shelter faster. We'll see what i can do, as of right now no one has committed.

-Tim

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: "Combined order for green cuben - Anybody want some?" on 09/21/2009 13:52:59 MDT Print View

Tim, I understand your reluctance to stock expensive material ahead of getting firm orders. The ball is rolling here, and I'm confident that:

A) We will reach the target within the next couple of weeks
B) That Jon will get on with the job quickly once he's sure the demand is there.
C) Your potential customers would understand that the time is right for decisions if you give them a nudge.

Winter is coming and people may think to put off putting down money on gear they won't use until next year, but there again, it's a good MYOG time of year, and small producers like to take time off in summer too. Joe at Z-packs for example.

Why not take a straw poll and see how many would be interested in Green rather than White? I know which I prefer.

I might be interested in getting you to make up some of my material into a couple of mateable poncho tarps for Kath and myself. We intend going SUL next year, and I trust your workmanship and your experience with this material.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Re: Combined order for green cuben - Anybody want some? on 09/21/2009 14:42:35 MDT Print View

I just ordered 45 yards from Chris at Cubictech of the
same lot so you now have enough for him to proceed. I paid
by credit card so no need to include me in the billing/
shipping process.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Combined order for green cuben - Target reached already! on 09/21/2009 15:16:08 MDT Print View

Wow. Great!
How much of a hurry are you in for your 45 yards David?

I'll keep our books open for those who are still waiting monthly paychecks etc and contact Jon to see how he wishes to proceed.

Clarification from Jon on the 'joins' issue: Not joins, but folds.

"Every 9m, there is a fold in the material. The strength should not be affected, but the fold is often permanently visible. Another way to say it is that if you order 36m, you will receive a continuous 36m piece of fabric that is folded 3 times, every 9m, forming a quadruple stack of laminate that is pressed together. The layers are firmly pressed together, but will cleanly peel apart, or you can cut through all four layers for cutting efficiency."

On the cutting front, Cubic Tech will not cut down the 9m panels, so we need a willing intermediary to help the people with small orders, or a member of each syndicate to cut and repost their friends pieces.

Edited by tallbloke on 09/21/2009 15:34:23 MDT.

Peter Surna
(PedroArvy) - MLife

Locale: Melbourne
I can distribute from Australia on 09/21/2009 17:15:06 MDT Print View

I can distribute from Australia
Possibly even NZ if there are any NZ-ers in that list.

Edited by PedroArvy on 09/21/2009 17:15:44 MDT.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: Combined order for green cuben - Target reached already! on 09/21/2009 22:19:33 MDT Print View

Don't wait for me. I can always get the white when i need it. Maybe if i get moving on my site i will be ready to roll next time. I seriously get inquires every day about cuben shelters, but nobody ready to drop the hammer. Maybe next time.

-Tim

Hendrik Morkel
(skullmonkey) - MLife

Locale: Finland
Ron says... on 09/22/2009 00:15:49 MDT Print View

Ron from MLD gave some Info on Cuben, and I thus decided not to get any of the CT1K.08 stuff - being a beginner it might be to difficult to work with for me.

Edited by skullmonkey on 09/22/2009 00:19:31 MDT.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: Ron says... on 09/22/2009 00:22:06 MDT Print View

You gotta tell us what he said. Can't throw that out there and leave us hanging. Did he confirm which type he is calling .6oz?

-Tim

Ashley Brown
(ashleyb) - F
Re: Re: Ron says... on 09/22/2009 00:34:51 MDT Print View

You might want to try clicking on the link!

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Ron says... on 09/22/2009 00:36:45 MDT Print View

didn't even think of that, just assumed it was a link to his profile. How easy it is to be dull.

Yeah, I'm out for sure. I need the heavier stuff.

-Tim

Edited by MarshLaw303 on 09/22/2009 00:43:02 MDT.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Combined order for green cuben - Production schedule. on 09/22/2009 00:52:50 MDT Print View

Jon at cubic Tech tells me they will now go ahead with production scheduled for completion in 2-3 weeks.

Ordering is probably only by phone with CC details, I'll get confirmation on procedure. Please get your friends organised for quantities, paypal payments etc to subdivide the combined small orders.

Edit:

Whoooaaah! I just saw the posts above from Hendrick and Tim regarding Ron at MLD's info.

According to the .pdf sent to me by Jon at Cubic Tech, the CT1K.08 is 17.4g/m2 and the CT2K.08 is 25.3g/m2. The weight difference between these two is a lot more than the difference between 0.51oz and 0.6oz per square yard.

One square meter is 1.196 square yards.
One ounce is 28.35g
17.4g/1.196 = 14.548g = 0.513 oz
25.3g/1.196 = 21.154g = 0.746 oz

The stronger material is almost half as heavy again.

I wish America could get it's metric conversion under control. Maybe Ron was obfuscating to keep trade secrets and make his gear sound lighter. :-)

Obviously if we are spending big bucks we want something durable. I'll PM David Olsen and see what he has to say. It's not too late to switch weights if that's what everyone wants to do and David agrees.

Edited by tallbloke on 09/22/2009 01:42:29 MDT.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Strength on 09/22/2009 01:23:37 MDT Print View

Not that my 2 yards are all that significant, but the heavier stuff sounds like the way to go after reading that post by Ron at MLD. "Tearable by hand' sounds a little scary for the lighter stuff.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Combined order for green cuben - Target reached already! on 09/22/2009 01:30:32 MDT Print View

For those who haven't read it, Ron Bell posted a thread about the differences between the cuben he uses. You might want to take a good look at the CT1K.08 that we've all been thinking about ordering. It may not be what you imagine. Ron calls it 0.45 weight, and quite fragile. Unless I'm misreading Rog's original post, but he does write "CT1K.08" and not "CT2K.08", which Ron mentions as the .6 .oz weight and what he uses in his tarps and shelters. Still, there was mention of 0.51 oz weight for CT1K.08, so I'm a bit confused about the differences.

Edit: Oops! Guess everyone saw the post after I started writing my comment and then waited until this afternoon to post it!

Edited by butuki on 09/22/2009 01:37:56 MDT.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Re: Re: Combined order for green cuben - Target reached already! on 09/22/2009 01:38:26 MDT Print View

Miguel, see the math in my edited post above. Ok, I have to go to work, see you all later.

Matthew Dunn
(Boddunn) - F

Locale: Kirby Muxloe
Typo on 09/22/2009 01:59:02 MDT Print View

I'm guessing the different part numbers Ron references in his summary are typos and the one's we're looking at are CT2K.08 and not CN2K.08 or C2K.08?
Yup, my vote goes for the heavier stuff, it's still pretty light and I don't want to trash 100 bucks of fabric in the first stiff breeze.

Mateusz Szultk
(LAUFBURSCHE-DE) - F

Locale: Cologne/ Germany
out on 09/22/2009 03:35:18 MDT Print View

Hey folks!

Sorry, but I am out from the order.
It becomes too complicated to me and also
the dispatch to Germany becomes too
expensive for me.

Rob, please take my 20 yds
from the order out.

Best regards
Mateusz

Peter Surna
(PedroArvy) - MLife

Locale: Melbourne
We need a US distributor as that's the cheapest place to ship from on 09/22/2009 06:48:08 MDT Print View

We need a US distributor as that's the cheapest place to ship from.

I definitely want the stronger CT2K.08