Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Combined order for green cuben - Anybody want some?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mateusz Szultk
(LAUFBURSCHE-DE) - F

Locale: Cologne/ Germany
choice on 09/19/2009 05:08:20 MDT Print View

I prefer the darker one

Edited by LAUFBURSCHE-DE on 09/19/2009 08:02:16 MDT.

Mateusz Szultk
(LAUFBURSCHE-DE) - F

breen on 09/19/2009 05:10:34 MDT Print View

Maybe the darker one is similar to the „breen” i've posted
yesterday.

Edited by LAUFBURSCHE-DE on 09/19/2009 05:11:13 MDT.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Combined order for green cuben - Anybody want some?" on 09/19/2009 05:57:06 MDT Print View

Is this closer to the real colour ?
Greens

Michael Crosby
(djjmikie) - MLife

Locale: Ky
"Combined order for green cuben - Anybody want some?" on 09/19/2009 06:04:31 MDT Print View

I prefer the darker one also
Mike

Mateusz Szultk
(LAUFBURSCHE-DE) - F

transparency on 09/19/2009 06:42:42 MDT Print View

I think the breen or green colored cuben in the lighter version has got only a shimmer of the color.

This is the result of the thinner Polyester coating.
The breen in my picture have a weight of 23,6g/m²

The green Cuben styles shown on Jons picture
are much heavier.

Maybe Jon can send you a picture of some colored
CT1K.08. Then we can see how transparent or not
the cuben is.

gx
Laufbursche

Edited by LAUFBURSCHE-DE on 09/19/2009 06:44:28 MDT.

paul smith
(tenkara) - F
odering cuben on 09/19/2009 10:35:03 MDT Print View

Thanks for all of the information. It will definitely help me determine how much I need. At the very least, I can go ahead and order the cuben knowing that i will use it for the final product.

My vote is for the darker green. I prefer to not stand out from my surroundings and I spend most of my time in the Smoky's

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Locale: Cascadia
2 yards on 09/20/2009 00:25:22 MDT Print View

You can put me down for 2 yards. I don't care about the color (since it's for stuff sacks).

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: "Combined order for green cuben - Anybody want some?" on 09/20/2009 05:53:53 MDT Print View

The list at the top of the thread has been updated. Looking good for an order early October.

Dan Baker
(heeler) - MLife

Locale: Victoria, Australia
2 Yards for me... on 09/20/2009 06:28:43 MDT Print View

Hi all,

I will chime in for 2 yards, mine can get sent with pedro's to Australia, we can organize mine to come from him (mind you I will have to PM him :) ) I would prefer breen .51 also.

Cheers,

Dan Baker.

Hendrik Morkel
(skullmonkey) - MLife

Locale: Finland
Hmmmm on 09/21/2009 03:19:46 MDT Print View

So, just so I get this right, as I'm using the metric system:

1 yard = 91,44 cm (length)
54 inch = 137,16 cm (wide)

Right? How much would I need to sew myself a nice tarp/ shelter and some stuff sacks, would three to four yards be enough? I'm thinking something like a Patrol Shelter or Grace Solo.

Also, I first could give an OK on Friday evening, depends on how the meeting with the client goes.

Edited by skullmonkey on 09/21/2009 03:20:17 MDT.

Matthew Dunn
(Boddunn) - F

Locale: Kirby Muxloe
Arghh!!!!! on 09/21/2009 04:08:20 MDT Print View

You're a bad man Rog! There's no way I can afford this! In which case I'll have 4 yards please... I live in the UK, hope this isn't a problem although if other UK people would like to jump on this I can post yours on for free just don't tell my boss! : O )
Thanks for sorting this Rog, much appreciated!
Matt
Edit: Maybe I should tell you which one I'd vote for? My vote goes for the heavier fabric and the breen please

Edited by Boddunn on 09/21/2009 07:55:47 MDT.

Damon Holman
(Damon78) - F

Locale: Northeast
interested on 09/21/2009 07:22:26 MDT Print View

I would like to be included in the order but do not yet know how much I need, a few yards certainly. I will figure out my measurements and post again,
Damon

Peter Surna
(PedroArvy) - MLife

Locale: Melbourne
1 vote for the light green. on 09/21/2009 07:24:47 MDT Print View

I prefer the red but I guess that's not on offer.
So 1 vote for the light green.

Matthew Dunn
(Boddunn) - F

Re: Hmmmm on 09/21/2009 07:54:40 MDT Print View

Hi Hendrick,
Just my two penneth worth, I'll be making a tarp too so I've ordered 4 yards which would mean I'll have the join running across the ridge line rather than along it which isn't ideal but it's the best I can do as I don't have much money. This will give me a tarp of roughly 2.8 x 1.8 meters.
A better solution would be to buy 6 yards and make a tarp with the join along the ridge line making a generous sized 2.80 x 2.80 meters.
Hope this helps,
Matt

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Re: Re: "Combined order for green cuben - Anybody want some?" on 09/21/2009 08:23:40 MDT Print View

OK, we seem to have a consensus for the 0.51 oz darker green/browny breen, sorry Pedro.

Dan, my cunning plan is that we all deal direct with Cubic Tech directly once we have a big enough combined order. That way, I don't have loads of admin work to do with addresses etc, and Jon at Cubic Tech does all the financials too. However you want to arrange shipping etc is up to you.

Hendrick, get your calculator out. I'm sure you'll have no trouble selling any extra you have over-ordered on gear swap.

Matt, nice one, We can combine shipping costs. Jon has said he is fine with using standard USPS $13 boxes, we'll see how much he can cram into one.

Damon, no sweat, we'll hang on for you.

I'll update the list when I have some more definite quantities from people.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Combined order for green cuben - Anybody want some? on 09/21/2009 08:34:56 MDT Print View

Rog,

are you sure Jon is willing to cut and shipp all this to different locations? They don't seem that flexible when i have talked with them, i haven't spoken with Jon though.

-Tim

Matthew Dunn
(Boddunn) - F

Re: Re: Re: "Combined order for green cuben - Anybody want some?" on 09/21/2009 08:44:07 MDT Print View

Ahh,
Just saw you're in Leeds Rog, perfect. Feel free to send it to my work address as I can using the franking machine at work should we get stung for import duty.
You don't happen to know if they sell tape too? Other wise I'll have to order some from Quest which'll cost more to ship than the value of the tape.
Thanks again,
Matt

Hendrik Morkel
(skullmonkey) - MLife

Locale: Finland
Inspiration! on 09/21/2009 09:54:34 MDT Print View

Going through the MYOG articles here, I found this and thought it could be of interest to some folks here:

Make Your Own Gear: Five Yards to SuperUltraLight

Four articles series to make a Tarp, Pack and Stuff Sack out of 5 yards of material. Excellent stuff, membership required.

Matthew, thanks for the suggestions. I reckon its going to be five to six yards then, maybe more.

Rog, my OK comes on Friday.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Re: Re: Combined order for green cuben - Anybody want some? on 09/21/2009 10:25:03 MDT Print View

Tim,
Jon was impressed by this thread and the obvious demand. He wants to help, but we need to make life as easy for him as possible too. He asked if I would take the whole order and become a distributor, but this isn't practical with me being UK based. What I'm hoping is that people who want small quantities can form small syndicates to order 9 meter pieces. I've just asked Jon if he will cut these to requirements.

The subtext seems to be that there is some kind of 'join' every 9 meters and self designers need to consider this when planning their patterns.

Matt, just maybe, we could persuade someone kind like Tim to take delivery of the overseas material after we've paid for it, and send it on via USPS in packages marked 'Gift : $65 value'. It's light enough after all. ;-)

Regarding jlointing, I was considering glue and stitch. Maybe we can obtain suitable tape in the UK? Needs advice and research.

Michael Crosby
(djjmikie) - MLife

Locale: Ky
RE "Combined order for green cuben - Anybody want some?" on 09/21/2009 10:31:51 MDT Print View

I have no problem upping my order to 9.84333333333 yards.
Mike