Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
How to carry maps?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Marco A. Sánchez
(marcoasn) - M

Locale: The fabulous Pyrenees
How to carry maps? on 09/14/2009 08:53:50 MDT Print View

I usually carry my maps in a ziplock to protect them from any wet weather. The ziplock goes into a mesh pocket of my pack. However, I find this solution suboptimal because I need to toss the pack on and off every time I need to use the maps. I have used map cases in a neck lanyard and attached to my pack, but they tend to flap dangerously in high winds. I have also printed maps on waterproof paper and carry them in a pocket, but they end up very creased.

What I want is a solution to carry maps that leaves me hands free, but is easily accessible… in a lightweight manner. How do you carry your maps?

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Locale: North East
Re: How to carry maps? on 09/14/2009 09:12:39 MDT Print View

I stick my maps into a ziplock bag and then tuck them into my hipbelt strap. They rest against my stomach so they are always handy. I have never had them fall out or anything, even if I loosen my hipbelt to shift weight throughout the day. It just came to me one day while I was walking, but I think I have read about others doing the same thing.

Edited by arichardson6 on 09/14/2009 09:13:45 MDT.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
How to carry maps? on 09/14/2009 09:28:23 MDT Print View

either in my pant pocket, or the accessible while wearing pocket on my mariposa. My of my maps are waterproof, so I don't normally use any type of map case.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
How to carry maps on 09/14/2009 09:31:07 MDT Print View

1 gallon Ziplock freezwe bags have always worked for me, but you can get a lot fancier.

See the Splashsak at http://www.loksak.com/products/splashsak

Zack Karas
(iwillchopyou@hotmail.com) - MLife

Locale: Lake Tahoe
maps. on 09/14/2009 10:03:18 MDT Print View

It depends on what type of maps I'm using. If I'm using big folded maps, then I put them in a gallon ziploc in my easily accessible side pocket (don't have to take my pack off). If I'm using maps I printed out from a CD then I fold the ones that are pertinent to that day's hike and keep them either in my shirt pocket or in my hipbelt pocket.

I would think that the GG shoulder strap or hipbelt pockets would work for you--but you would have to fold your maps (not that big of a deal).