Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Tents for Tall People
Display Avatars Sort By:
eric lansford
(PapaSherpa)

Locale: PNW
Tents for tall people on 02/18/2012 11:09:32 MST Print View

+1 for the LightHeart SoLong 6. I own the tent and love it. If you decide to go that route, look at adding a Wedge or Fly (I have the Wedge) as it is great for a little extra room and still coming in at about 2 lbs.

Ted E
(Mtn_nut) - MLife

Locale: Morrison, CO
it may be hard to find now... on 02/18/2012 12:00:57 MST Print View

i have an older north face canyonlands, and at a bit over 6', i have a ton of headroom in that tent. its a little small to sit up in for me, but so are most lighter tents.

yes, its not SUL, but its a full mesh tent with a bomber rainfly, with plenty of room for your gear inside the tent, and its pretty light if you just do the tent, fly, pole, and some lighter stakes, or you can set it without the tent body if you find yourself a footprint.

Grant Johnson
(gaj701) - F
Tents for tall people on 02/22/2012 08:06:02 MST Print View

Thanks all for the great suggestions. I've sent emails out to Six Moons, Integral Designs, and LightHeart. If anyone else is lurking, I'll report back what they say.

Martin, I've tried the Nemo Pentalite pyramid with the Wedge floor. It worked if I could take the 'middle half,' but the middle pole and wife made that awkward. It also seemed a bit heavy as a 2 person tent, as opposed to its spec 4.

Erik Basil
(EBasil)

Locale: Atzlan
Tents for Tall on 02/22/2012 10:31:50 MST Print View

Thanks for keeping this going: I need it, too.

Rebecca Canode
(bcanode) - F
GoLite Shangri_La 2 on 02/22/2012 22:02:28 MST Print View

I didn't see anyone mention the GoLite Shagri-la 2. We have one (flysheet and Bathtub floor) and it is crazy long. I just Googled the dimensions of the floor and it looks like it is 9'4" according to the link below. Goliath might have trouble fitting but just about everyone else should fit!

We've only used it on a few trips in good weather, but we are thrilled with its space/weight ratio and quality.

Bug protection would require the nest. I don't own the nest, but I would expect that its dimensions are similar to the floor, but maybe slightly smaller.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27837

Mike Feldman
(MikeF) - M

Locale: SE USA
TT Rainbow works on 02/23/2012 13:17:17 MST Print View

The Rainbow will fit someone 6'7".

Erik Basil
(EBasil)

Locale: Atzlan
thees vedge... on 02/24/2012 15:17:38 MST Print View

The "wedge" on the LightHearts, is that just a peaked portion on an awning fly? The tents look really good, but the website isn't designed for the (slow) enquiring mind.

Ron W
(Miles2go) - F

Locale: White River National Forest
Tents for Tall People - Here's a real player that hasn't been mentioned. on 03/26/2012 21:31:17 MDT Print View

MSR HOOP

I was killing time in an outdoor store in a distant town today while my gal was at a doctor's appointment.

While digging around their large collection of tents which weren't setup, I found one that I wasn't familiar with. It felt to be on the lighter side so I wrote it down and looked it up.

Just at or under 5 pounds depending on how you carry it.
Current Model
Free Standing
Double Wall
Two Doors
Two Vestibules
44 Inches High Inside (dome)
52 Inches Wide...continuous & vertical walls
*96 Inches Long...yeah, 96 Inches Long*
Nice "Blend In" Green Fly - Fully Taped

MSR Hoop

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/experience-series/hoop/product

No, it's not ultra light. That said, it's a lot of 3+ season tent for 5 pounds, which tall backpackers will find some breathing room in.

Here's a review:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/MSR%20Hoop%20tent/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ray%20Estrella/

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Tents for Tall People - Here's a real player that hasn't been mentioned. on 03/26/2012 21:53:06 MDT Print View

Thanks Ron!

I wonder how long the MSR Nook is? That one is just over 3 lbs.....

Edited by FamilyGuy on 03/26/2012 22:44:05 MDT.

Ron W
(Miles2go) - F

Re: Re: Tents for Tall People - Here's a real player that hasn't been mentioned. on 03/26/2012 22:12:57 MDT Print View

Right David. Same review I linked to at the bottom of my post. :)

I'll add:
The MSR Hoop looks like it could be lightened up pretty easily. In example, it can go without the two small poles that makes it more free standing. Then there's those stuff sacks, etc.
I like that it allows you to switch which wing of each vestibule is "in the wind", meaning you could catch a breeze regardless of where it's blowing from.

96"x52"x44"

Marc Penansky
(MarcPen) - F

Locale: Western NC
LIghtHeart Wedge on 03/26/2012 22:18:27 MDT Print View

@Erik Basil,
The wedge option on a LightHeart tent adds a wedge (piece of pie) shaped piece of sil-nylon into a standard zippered fly to allow the formation of an awning. This awning allows constant views, good ventilation, dripless entry and exit, etc. It is a sewn in piece with a nested zipper that also allows conversion back to the standard fly in case of really bad weather with blowing rain. It can be left as an awning in straight down rain and has substantial coverage. The "wedge option" can only be added on a sil-nylon tent because we have found that the cuben tents can't handle the extra weight of 2 zippers. The "wedge option" adds about 1.5 ounces to the weight of a tent.
Sorry for the late reply but I just saw your post asking about this.
Marc Penansky
LightHeart Gear

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Tents for Tall People - Here's a real player that hasn't been mentioned. on 03/26/2012 22:41:47 MDT Print View

Sorry Ron - Mondays are beer and scotch night. Keeps my weekends clear for hiking.

(I will edit!)

Ron W
(Miles2go) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tents for Tall People - Here's a real player that hasn't been mentioned. on 03/26/2012 23:26:13 MDT Print View

At the same time? That makes my night with a rootbeer float seem a little tame. ...though my beer fridge is currently stocked with over a dozen choices. :)

On topic: Mountain Hardwear Drifter 2
Listed Minimum Weight: 4 lb 11 oz
2 Doors
2 Vestibules
45" tall.
93" long.
Only 50" wide but it is a constant width.
Lower frills with a sub $199 price point.

Edited by Miles2go on 03/27/2012 00:30:00 MDT.