Forum Index » GEAR » Tents for Tall People

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Tents for Tall People on 09/10/2009 21:15:00 MDT Print View

I just want to know how Franco packs down the pillow.....

bryan Schuetz
(bryanschuetz) - F
Sierra Designs Vapor light XL on 09/10/2009 21:47:02 MDT Print View

In one of the other "tall person" threads I found a link to this REI exclusive model from Sierra Designs http://www.rei.com/product/779217 made especially for the tall (Vapor Light XL).

With floor dimensions of 93 X 52 it looks promising, anyone here had any experience with this tent. I'll have to head down to my local REI and give it a test run.

Greyson Howard
(Greyhound)

Locale: Sierra Nevada
2011 redux on 06/29/2011 22:06:55 MDT Print View

Hey, I hope you all don't mind me reviving this thread, but I'm in the market and at 6'3" am getting somewhat frustrated. So tall folks, what are your recommendations for current tents on the market? I'm looking at 1 and 2 person tents, preferably free-standing or free-standing-ish. Also brands like Hilleberg are waay out of the price range.

j p
(johnnythunder) - F
tall boy on 06/29/2011 22:36:46 MDT Print View

i'm 6 and a bit and the tarptent rainbow has plenty of room. you should be fine with one of those. also, i've laid down in a lighheart tent and they're really long.

Bradley Attaway
(AttaboyBrad) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
6'5" in an REI Quarter Dome T2 Plus on 06/30/2011 00:24:06 MDT Print View

I'm 6'5". I spent over a week in the Teton Wilderness quite comfortably in a Quarter Dome T2+. Experienced rain and sub-freezing temps, so a fair range of 3 season conditions. I believe the Half-Dome is of similar dimensions and substantially cheaper, just a pound or so heavier. They also have a single person model, if I'm not mistaken, and all of them can be set up with just the footprint and fly to cut out some weight.

Bradley Attaway
(AttaboyBrad) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: 6'5" in an REI Quarter Dome T2 Plus on 06/30/2011 00:25:40 MDT Print View

Dang, I only saw the second page of this thread before replying. Didn't realize I missed a page. Sorry for the redundancy.

Edit:

After reading the first page fully, I realize I wasn't being too redundant *smack forehead*.

Anyway, we fit 2 6'5", 225lb rowers pretty comfortably in the Quarter Dome T2+.

Edited by AttaboyBrad on 06/30/2011 00:31:16 MDT.

Will Inman
(Empacitator) - MLife

Locale: Western Australia
Re: 2011 redux on 06/30/2011 05:05:07 MDT Print View

Try these guys:
http://www.lightheartgear.com/LightHeart_Gear/Home.html

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: tall boy on 06/30/2011 10:16:26 MDT Print View

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents.html

any of the skyscapes.

Tim F
(kneebyter) - MLife

Locale: the depths of Hiking Hell (Iowa)
Extremely happy w/ Rainbow on 06/30/2011 11:04:23 MDT Print View

I'm 6'3" and 230# and love the room in my Tarptent Rainbow. I tried several other 1-man tents first, including the Big Agnes Seedhouse 1 and SMD Lunar Solo. Unlike those tents, the end walls are almost vertical on the Rainbow making all the length usable. In addition, it is very wide and I can sit up without coming close to touching the ceiling. It is only 36oz with a light light groundcloth and stakes. I wish I had tried it first!

Benjamin Auer
(mankind117) - M
Sierra Design Vapor Light on 08/10/2011 12:23:09 MDT Print View

I too am 6'7". I purchased a Sierra Design Vapor light 2 xl (the xl stands for extra long) that the op mentioned for less than 200$. It is heavy for the BLP crowd at 4lbs (I don't think this is an outrageous weight for a shelter I and all my gear will actually fit in). It is also 93 inches long and is plenty long enough for someone with my giant frame.

Edited by mankind117 on 08/10/2011 12:39:21 MDT.

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Locale: Upstate South Carolina
Tall Person Tent on 08/10/2011 18:26:09 MDT Print View

I just bought a Lightheart Gear Solong6. It is plenty long for me with a ton of room to spare. It is 100" in length, with boxed ends so there is more useable space. Even on top of a 2 1/2" pad and a small pillow under my head there is a lot of space left. In a pinch I could fit a smaller person inside with me. It is 55" wide in the center tapering to 30" on the ends. It is basically a double wall tent, with just a small section of single wall silnylon in the center. After seam sealing the tent it still weighs 27oz on my scale, including the guy lines, but not the stakes. You have to use hiking poles to set it up, or you can use lightweight aluminum or carbon fiber poles.

http://www.Lightheartgear.com

Edited by mtnbob123 on 08/10/2011 18:27:27 MDT.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Tall Person Tent on 08/10/2011 19:53:10 MDT Print View

Judy just brought over a SoLong 6 that she was making some customizations on, for me to check out. Amazingly, it's even roomier than the Solo, without sacrificing the advantages of the solo.

I could stretch toes out, hands extended over my head, flailing around. If you don't fit in one of these, you're probably already used to getting EVERYTHING you own custom made!

I'm not super tall, but it seems like it would be the go-to option for anybody that is, or anybody my size that wants even more usable real-estate than the Solo, with a minor weight penalty. SoLong + Wedge == Winner.

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Locale: Upstate South Carolina
LightHeartGear SoLong6 on 08/24/2011 20:03:42 MDT Print View

Actually the Solong6 is an oz less than the Solo after I switched out the guy lines with Dyneema and mini locs.

Edited by mtnbob123 on 08/24/2011 20:07:10 MDT.

Grant Johnson
(gaj701) - F
Plea for help on 02/17/2012 15:20:17 MST Print View

Sorry to necro this thread, but I need a backpacking tent for a true 7 footer (84" / 213cm). Ideally, a two person tent with with bug protection.

I think I've purchased and returned every model REI sells (it seems to be the only way to determine a tent's real length). Unfortunately, it's tough to do this with boutique brands. So, particularly directed at the taller tent owners in this thread, does anyone have any suggestions?

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Tents for Tall People on 02/17/2012 15:37:24 MST Print View

Maybe the Haven nettent + tarp from Six Moon Designs? The inner net lists at 90" but it does have raised corners and an offset peak that might work for a 7' person.

Vince Contreras
(pillowthread) - F

Locale: like, in my head???
Look at Integral Designs... on 02/17/2012 15:45:47 MST Print View

If you can find a Mega Sola, it seems as though it would fit your criteria.

Marc Shea
(FlytePacker) - F

Locale: Cascades
Re: Plea for help on 02/17/2012 17:57:14 MST Print View

Grant,

Look at the Zolo line from Sierra Designs. Both the 1 (which appears to be discontinued and on closeout) and the 2 have 96" length. Since they are dome style tents, most of that space is usable. They aren't the lightest things around, but you can get them for less than $200.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Tents for Tall People on 02/17/2012 18:52:07 MST Print View

I had a look at the Zolo specs.
SD Zolo
The max height is 40". That on top of a mat is not much for a 6' tall person.
The end walls are at an aprox 45 degree slope, so I would estimate that out of the 96" only about 80" are usable on a mat...
(I could be wrong...)
I set up the TT SS2 ,out of curiosity.
Sleeping side ways could be doable but even with the 50" max height (only two spots at that height...) a 7' person would still need to bend.
Franco

Martin RJ Carpenter
(MartinCarpenter) - F
Pyramids on 02/18/2012 02:29:30 MST Print View

At that height/length its going to be tricky. Wonder if some of the pyramids might work?

They'll at least have head room! Whether they're set up to have enough room to get an extra, extra long sleeping bag in I dunno.

wander lust
(sol)
trailstar on 02/18/2012 05:48:12 MST Print View

the trailstar from mld will be long enough for you, you just need a long bivy or groundsheet.