Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
JMT northbound 9/14 or 9/15
Display Avatars Sort By:
Peter Burke
(Fishmonger) - F

Locale: Midwest
JMT northbound 9/14 or 9/15 on 09/07/2009 07:29:57 MDT Print View

I'm heading back out west for a solo northbound, starting monday 9/14 or Tuesday 9/15, depending on available overnight permits up the Whitney trail.

Anyone else out there on a late season JMT? I've never been there after early August, nor have I gone north, so this is going to be almost like a first time hike (I think I am up to 10 southbound JMTs so far)

10 walking days is my plan righ now, but I have up to 12 available before the last bus of the season leaves Yosemite Valley for Mammoth.

Any advise from anyone who has been out there in late season? Temps, clothing? Water? I think I know what to expect, but some first hand info is always welcome.

Peter

Edited by Fishmonger on 09/07/2009 07:30:42 MDT.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
JMT northbound 9/14 or 9/15 on 09/07/2009 07:36:25 MDT Print View

Just finished it 8/20/09 northbound. Water will not be a problem; never carried more than 1.5 liters. It was at or below freezing almost every morning when we got up, warming quickly to the high 70's.

Edited by wandering_bob on 09/07/2009 07:38:01 MDT.

Peter Burke
(Fishmonger) - F

Locale: Midwest
less daylight on 09/07/2009 07:45:08 MDT Print View

the bugs are gone, I assume (no deet - although the long underwear and extra gloves easily tip the scale the other way)

I'm mostly worried about the much shorter days. I'll have to pack some extra batteries for the headlight to make the most out of each day up there. I don't mind hiking in the dark, especially on stretches of the trail that don't rank very high in my book.

I don't use a water filter, so I can't really use every water source. In July there was water everywhere, but that was when the snow was just starting to melt in a hurry.

how are the river crossings now? Just Evolution and Bear still wet? We had at last 20 deep (shoes off) crossings in July.

Steven Thompson
(stevet) - M

Locale: Northeast
Wet crossings on 09/12/2009 11:50:14 MDT Print View

Peter,
I finished my SOBO trek last weekend. The only wet crossing then was Evolution. Steve