Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Winter backpacking with a dog
Display Avatars Sort By:
Zack Karas
(iwillchopyou@hotmail.com) - MLife

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Winter backpacking with a dog on 09/05/2009 15:33:40 MDT Print View

Who out there goes winter backpacking with their dogs? What do you use for insulation for your pet to keep them off your sleeping bags?

For 2 adults and a dog, is a 3-person shelter needed?

For the record, I will probably only be out this winter in the Tahoe area and when no storms are expected. Temps will most likely be around 0-15F overnight.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
dogs in winter on 09/05/2009 22:36:57 MDT Print View

Try car camping with your dog[s] first. If you need snowshoes or skis they will wear themselves out in fresh snow, transitional snow is best. You need to protect domestic dog's paws with booties. They need water a badly as you do and if you have to wear sunglasses they are struggling too.

Zack Karas
(iwillchopyou@hotmail.com) - MLife

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Winter backpacking with dogs on 09/05/2009 23:29:55 MDT Print View

Why car camping first? I've camped with my dog before just not in winter, and since we live in Tahoe I snowshoe and ski with her on a daily basis. When it is really deep, she just follows my tracks.

As far as booties--she absolutely hates them. I trim the hair between her paw pads to resist balling and she doesn't seem to have problems. I also put a sort of balm that I got at the local pet store on her pads as it resists snow and cold well (at least I think...). I plan on bringing booties with me to put on her if she shows signs of discomfort, but she never has so far.

I have a synthetic vest that fits her well, and I'm thinking an old fleece sleeping bag would be good for her when it is quite cold. For shelter I'm considering getting a new 4-season tent (Hilleberg Nallo 3) as I currently have a 2-person Bibler Eldorado w/o a vestibule that isn't big enough.

Anyone else have experience winter backpacking with dogs? Insulation? Shelter type and size?

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
re; on 09/06/2009 08:58:04 MDT Print View

Good housekeeping will go a long way with a dog in a tent, different temps, snow conditions, and type of fur lead to possible mess. I tried to keep mine in the vestibule but he finally pesuades me to come all the way in. Car camping is just a way test run everything with an escape clause, doesn't sound like anything you need.
The booties came from seeing the blood trail off his paws after crossing a hillside of breakable crust. He had been skijornig for two months and still cut up his paws.
Good Luck.