Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Thinking About Bears and Cougars
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Thinking About Bears and Cougars on 09/11/2009 01:07:17 MDT Print View

Douglas - LOL

Diane - You are crazy, but it's a good kind of crazy. :)

S P
(HighAltitude) - F
bears/cougars on 09/17/2009 23:34:08 MDT Print View

Miguel,

If you are worried, strap on the bear spray and go about your business. Of course always be mindful and the chances of having an encounter is very, very slim. Do what makes you feel comfortable.

Edited by HighAltitude on 09/17/2009 23:35:25 MDT.

Ali e
(barefootnavigator) - F

Locale: Outside
Thinking About Bears and Cougars" Sasquatch on 09/18/2009 12:24:10 MDT Print View

After 20 plus years of backpacking I just had my first close encounter with a mountain lion in the Cascades. She was beautiful and vanished into thin air. I was quite suprised as I was deep in a lush rainforest and the thought of seeing a lion never crossed my mind. I was definatly freaked out that there might be a hungry Saquatch in the area but I made it out safe. This might qualify for the stupidest post on BPL but I am more afraid of running into a Sasquatch than I am of being attacked by a bear or lion. :) Ali

Rick Cheehy
(kilgoretrout2317) - F

Locale: Virginia
Re: Thinking About Bears and Cougars" Sasquatch on 09/18/2009 13:35:57 MDT Print View

Ali, that's awesome.

Gordon Smith
(swearingen) - MLife

Locale: Portland, Oregon
Trip Line on 09/26/2009 11:07:30 MDT Print View

A while back I watched an episode of Man v Wild where Bear Grylls was in a bear intense area. He was concerned enough about them that he set up a trip line around his camp by stringing a lightweight line around the perimeter trees and brush about a foot or two off the ground. To this line he attached his metal drinking cup with some rocks in it that would rattle. This of course is overkill 99.9% of the time, but I could see where in certain situations it might allow someone to relax and get some sleep.

We have plenty of black bear here in the Pacific NW but luckily problem bears are rare. I've never carried spray or felt any need to. In 25 years of hiking in this area I've only actually seen a bear once despite seeing their scat quite frequently. I always take the standard precautions though, like hanging food, never having food in the tent, etc, etc. Occasionally if I'm going into a truly remote area, especially one with lots of berries, I'll put a small bell on my dog. Cougar encounters are so rare they don't even cross my mind. I'm too old for most of them anyway.

G

Justin Chaussee
(judach) - F

Locale: Earth
Re: Re: Thinking About Bears and Cougars" Sasquatch on 09/26/2009 11:17:06 MDT Print View

Sasquatch aint so tough! One time i was hiking and sasquatch ran up to me and growled. I punched him in the face and he ran away crying. My camera was out of film, but I SWEAR this to be true.... ;-)

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Sasquatch on 09/26/2009 13:19:43 MDT Print View

lol Justin. That reminds me of how we used to have fun with Gorilla suits at summer camp. I came into a cabin in one once. All the little (7-8 yr. old) guys ran and hid under the beds. Than they saw my tennis shoes and dog piled me. Bad idea what if Sasquatch DID wear shoes?

MICHAEL FREEMAN
(m_freeman) - F
well on 09/26/2009 21:20:09 MDT Print View

I've encountered bears in Alaska and my wife was stalked by a cougar on Vancouver island as she walked alone. I never enter bear country without pepper spray, especially Alaska. When I am in Alaska if I am in thick brush I have the spray in hand ready to go. Will the pepper spray work on cougars?

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
Pepper spray vs. cougars on 09/26/2009 23:17:10 MDT Print View

Yes, it works on cougars, though they tend to attack from behind.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Re: well on 09/26/2009 23:36:38 MDT Print View

The only time I went trekking in Alaksa was in a VERY heavy-bear area, and I carried a .45-70. Screw pepper spray. I'm taking him with me. At one point I came upon a first-nation local who walked with me and said he was glad I had a gun, too, because he was afraid of the bears. (That particular part of the trek was in Canada, and on the Alaska side of the border I never saw an unarmed local.)

That was a very special area, though. I've never carried either gun or spray anywhere else, in keeping with my earlier post on this thread. I MAY start carrying spray situationally, though, since I'm now in Colorado and thus arguably now in more of a "bear territory" than I have been in the past- though granted not grizzly. Especially if I'm somewhere with habituated bears. I'm debating the issue internally. I'd hate to leave my daughter without a father if I can help it.

So I guess I'm still unlikely to need bear spray, but if I do I'll need it VERY BADLY.

Edited by acrosome on 09/26/2009 23:40:19 MDT.

Ron D
(dillonr) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: well on 09/27/2009 19:35:47 MDT Print View

Dean - Welcome to Colorado Springs. Actually I'd be more nervous about cougars than bears, especially if you are in the foothills (I noticed the Orion Spur local, are you in the Skyway area?). But a local outdoor newspaper article put it into decent perspective http://www.gazette.com/articles/afraid-58603-camping-let.html

Ron

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Re: Re: Re: well on 09/27/2009 19:46:29 MDT Print View

No, not in the foothills. We found a house sort of out by the airport. We can't close until the end of October, though, so I'm living in a hotel until then.

And I'm not talking about local hikes when I reference "bear territory." I plan to get into some remote places, if I have any say in the matter... :o)

I liked the link, by the way.

Jeff Antig
(Antig)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Re: Thinking About Bears and Cougars" Sasquatch on 09/28/2009 00:51:59 MDT Print View

"Sasquatch aint so tough! One time i was hiking and sasquatch ran up to me and growled. I punched him in the face and he ran away crying. My camera was out of film, but I SWEAR this to be true.... ;-)"

Hey, that was me...I got a little hairy after several weeks and just wanted to borrow your razor...jerk.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Thinking About Bears and Cougars" Sasquatch on 10/02/2009 09:12:18 MDT Print View

Ali, cougars love deep forest and especially rain forests here in the Northwest. Why? Good camouflage but more so, lots and lots to eat :-) A cougar in the Olympics or Cascades has room to move and plenty of elk, deer, rabbits, foxes, etc to choose from. Good water and shelter as well.

Can't blame them, it is a good life ;-)

Ali e
(barefootnavigator) - F

Pray you never run into this on 10/02/2009 10:04:30 MDT Print View

Good to know Sarah, I've only been here in the PNW for 2 years and seem to learn something everyday. Just pray you never run into this in the B/C

Alan Oberlander

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Photos of Bear Attack in Progress on 10/02/2009 10:30:55 MDT Print View

This person was most fortunate to have survived the attack.

bear attack

Edited by wandering_bob on 10/02/2009 10:32:12 MDT.

Ali e
(barefootnavigator) - F

One more reason not to keep food in your tent on 10/02/2009 12:12:38 MDT Print View

Bob, please remember that there are minors on this site and violence of this nature could be damaging to thier young minds. Ali

alan oberlander

Edited by barefootnavigator on 10/02/2009 12:48:35 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Yeah on 10/02/2009 16:16:14 MDT Print View

They could have an insulin attack from too much cuteness ;-)