Frameless Pack Limits
Display Avatars Sort By:
pack nwcurt
(curtpeterson) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Frameless Pack Limits on 09/03/2009 06:43:46 MDT Print View

Curious what folks experience as the limits of a frameless/beltless pack. Assume a pack with a well cushioned back and shoulder straps. How much are you willing to carry before you wish you had a belt?

Jonathan Ryan
(Jkrew81) - F - M

Locale: White Mtns
Re: Frameless Pack Limits on 09/03/2009 06:52:09 MDT Print View

None of my frameless pack experience is without a hipbelt, but for me it is right around the 22-25lbs mark. I once carried 32lbs in a Jam2. While it worked, I would have strongly preferred a frame. One thing that I personally like and has worked well for me is adding shoulder strap water bottle mounts. If you are going through any dry sections of trail it is nice to throw 2 Poland Spring water bottles up front to distro the weight.

David Passey
(davidpassey) - F - M

Locale: New York City
Re: Frameless Pack Limits on 09/03/2009 16:32:30 MDT Print View

I've never tried to max out a frameless pack. I recently did a five night trip around 25lbs when starting, and that carried comfortably. If I wanted to go out for longer than that, I would probably carry my ULA circuit--not so much for weight but for volume, as I find larger volume frameless packs don't carry so well, and greater weight usually translates into greater volume.

For me, the key elements are (1) a tight vertical column of gear (I prefer the rolled pad method), (2) wide, thinly padded (thinlight) shoulder straps--at least as wide as GG straps and (3) a wide thinly padded hipbelt (e.g., mountain laurel designs). With these three features, I've found a frameless pack will carry as well or better than any framed pack I've used.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Frameless Pack Limits on 09/03/2009 18:07:05 MDT Print View

"For me, the key elements are (1) a tight vertical column of gear (I prefer the rolled pad method), (2) wide, thinly padded (thinlight) shoulder straps--at least as wide as GG straps and (3) a wide thinly padded hipbelt (e.g., mountain laurel designs). With these three features, I've found a frameless pack will carry as well or better than any framed pack I've used."

For weights no greater than....?