Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Thunder Pass? Millys/Lucy's Foot Pass?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave T
(DaveT) - F
Thunder Pass? Millys/Lucy's Foot Pass? on 09/02/2009 13:20:59 MDT Print View

Hi all,

Anyone out there (Tom?) want to give some details on Thunder Pass as an alternative to Lucy's or Milly's Footpasses? Secor mentions "ice axe required" - is there a steep icy bit on the north side of Thunder Pass, even in mid September?

Any suggestions? I'll be heading south to north from Milestone Canyon towards Longley and Brewer, and I'm looking for the best solution.

Thanks!

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Thunder Pass? Millys/Lucy's Foot Pass? on 09/02/2009 16:25:43 MDT Print View

I would pm Cary Bertoncini. He might be able to give you some help on that. I have never been over those, so I cannot give advice. Hope Cary can help.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
tom... thanks! on 09/07/2009 18:06:16 MDT Print View

hi tom.

you probably missed this post, but i went along with your original (emailed) suggestion about Thunder Pass as an alternative to the foot-passes to the NE and was happy we did.

it was definitely a quicker route to Longley, and was not too bad to deal with. slippery scree leading down into low-angle frozen-ice/mud into lots of talus, partially bypassed by a sun-cupped snow gully.

sure beat Milly's or Lucy's!

thanks!

Edited by DaveT on 09/21/2009 17:28:30 MDT.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
Tom - bump. on 09/21/2009 21:47:45 MDT Print View

i edited an old post, so i want to BUMP this up so Tom K. might see it.

thanks!

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Thunder Pass? Millys/Lucy's Foot Pass? on 09/22/2009 18:31:33 MDT Print View

Hi Dave,

I reconnoitered Milly's and Lucy's Foot Passes before going out over Thunder Pass and concluded that Thunder was the better bet. I didn't like the look of either of them, at all. We went over it in 1979 and there was no need for an ice axe when we did it in August. Being on a north facing slope, that could change from year to year, but this was a low snow year and I'd bet you won't need an ice axe. Do be prepared for lots of loose stuff-it's a rotten gully. But as long as you pay attention and move slow and careful, you shouldn't have much trouble. Certainly nothing like some of the stuff you did on the SHR. Side benefit: You get to go up the basin below Thunder Mtn on your approach from the unnamed 3 bayed lake. It is drop dead beautiful. One of my favorite spots. You're doing a great route. Best of luck.

Oops, I missed your follow on posts. Congrats, Dave. I'm glad it worked out for you. Beautiful country, huh?

Edited by ouzel on 09/22/2009 18:33:03 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Thunder Pass? Millys/Lucy's Foot Pass? on 09/22/2009 19:44:49 MDT Print View

Hey Dave,

Follow on question: What was your route coming up from the south? We dropped into Milestone Basin via Milestone Pass on 9/5. From the sound of things we just missed each other.
Wouldn't that have been something to run into each other up there?

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
trip reports. on 09/22/2009 20:52:24 MDT Print View

hi tom.

i did a quick write-up in Trip Reports. check it out!

dave.