Forum Index » GEAR » Taking a knife to a Granite Gear Ozone

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Taking a knife to a Granite Gear Ozone on 09/02/2009 10:39:36 MDT Print View

Has anyone ever taken a knife to a Granite Gear Ozone to reduce weight but keep most of the functionality in? I am curious what steps were taken and what the final weight tally was....

Christopher Graf
(cgraf) - M

Locale: So Cal
Taking a knife to a Granite Gear Ozone on 09/02/2009 11:38:42 MDT Print View

After using the Nimbus Ozone for two years before selling it, the areas, in retrospect, I'd cut/trim without altering function would be the large amount of excess strapping and have the huge extension collar cut down by at least half - just enough so I'd still be able to use the pull top closure. I'd guess with this trimming it drop total pack weight by 4-6 ounces in the best case scenario.

Edited by cgraf on 09/02/2009 11:40:17 MDT.

b s
(smyth) - F
Re: Taking a knife to a Granite Gear Ozone on 09/02/2009 11:49:54 MDT Print View

I took about 4-5 ozs. off my Ozone by removing the internal hydration sleeve and associated shock cord; excess webbing from the multitude of straps; and the small personal item hang bag inside the top.

Additional savings could be had by cutting down the extension collar like Chris says above.

pack nwcurt
(curtpeterson) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Ozone Surgery on 09/03/2009 06:55:49 MDT Print View

I've really hacked up my Nimbus Ozone. Obviously weight savings were part of the reason, but I found the stock frame way to stiff. The range of sizing is unmatched by any pack in the world, I believe, so I didn't want to lose that.

I've got the packbag itself down to about 1lb. 6oz. From there I add a stripped down set of shoulder straps to a hacked mini frame to get the whole thing coming in just a hair over 2lbs. Considering the stock one is really about 3.5lbs., this was quite a hacking.

I recently got a Meridian for cheap, so now I'm willing to hack a little further on the Ozone. Shorten the collar, remove some of the belt clips and straps since I use this pack without a belt. Probably will get it a little under 2lbs.

I have 3 frames for it - the stock full frame (12 oz.), a shaped frame that retains all the functionality, just less stiff (8 oz.) and the mini frame I use without a belt (4.5 oz).

I'll take some pics of the frames and post them up when I get a chance.

I've tried dozens of packs over the years and always come back to this series for the fit and comfort. Especially for big guys, I don't think there's a better pack on the market despite its 6+ year old design.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Taking a knife to a Granite Gear Ozone on 09/03/2009 08:55:57 MDT Print View

I am amazed at what you have been able to do! A close to 2 lb fully framed pack capable of heavier weights. Very nice.

S P
(HighAltitude) - F
2lb framed pack on 09/03/2009 09:57:36 MDT Print View

In the late 90s mountainsmith came out with their mountainlight series of packs. The first year models where pretty light and then like usual, gained weight every year until they discontinued them.

I still have one of their ML5200 packs (1998).

Without the lid, mountainsmith's carbon fiber stays and just the excess straps trimmed it is around 2 lbs and easily over 4,000 ci. Its a big pack even with out the lid. With the full stay suspension that is tied into the waist belt, it carries 30-35 lbs no problem. It makes a great winter pack. I took it when I first hiked the JMT 8 years ago but even with the bear can inside the pack, the pack was too big.

This pack was designed and sold over 10 years ago, you would think full suspension 2 lb packs would be every where by now.

Edited by HighAltitude on 09/03/2009 10:05:26 MDT.