New Wilderness! Dolly Sods North & Roaring Plains West
Display Avatars Sort By:
Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: Dolly Sods Loop on 04/24/2010 09:41:49 MDT Print View

Hi Chris! How's the law school hunt going?

If you had to, absolutely had to, cut something out, I would probably suggest just hiking a loop through the Sods. Here's a good map and info: http://www.midatlantichikes.com/dst.htm.

I have to say, though, that this loop was a nearly perfect hike, with the exception of my choice not to go off-trail in the Roaring Plains. It starts out in dense forest, you hike up alongside a rushing stream and then emerge into the open north Sods. You then hike back down through the Sods and on to the ridge of the Roaring Plains. If take the off-trail route, it should give even better views in that section than I had.

But if you have to cut, hit the Sods, especially the north Sods. They're the most impressive.

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Locale: Southern Oregon
Re: Re: Dolly Sods Loop on 04/24/2010 11:50:36 MDT Print View

That sounds good. I'd push the whole loop but will likely be restricted by time and the people I'm going with.

Thanks for getting back to me so fast (during finals no less? I guess 3Ls don't worry about finals :) Still deciding between Rutgers and Lewis and Clark (aka cheap v. Oregon - a tough decision when I could potentially be seeing this sign every day:

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: Re: Re: Dolly Sods Loop on 04/24/2010 14:41:30 MDT Print View

I just teared up a bit. That is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I say go to L&C. I don't remember if you'd chosen a focus or not, put I presume you know they're tops in enviro law.

I'm actually finishing up the business school portion of my dual degree, so I just finished finals!

Enjoy the loop, even just hitting the Sods is a fantastic trip. My sister and I are definitely doing the SHR in July.