Collapsable Hiking Poles on Plane
Display Avatars Sort By:
Frank Perkins
(fperkins)

Locale: North East
Collapsable Hiking Poles on Plane on 09/01/2009 09:05:54 MDT Print View

Has anyone ever traveled with the collapsable hiking poles via carry on?

TSA website says no ski poles, but since these are collapsible, I was thinking they might pass.

http://titaniumgoat.com/poles.html

Jeff K
(jeff.k) - F

Locale: New York
Re: Collapsable Hiking Poles on Plane on 09/01/2009 10:24:38 MDT Print View

I think it is a gamble. I have flown with collapsible (3 part) trekking poles once or twice without a problem.

I also was told I was crazy for trying to bring them carry on and they were more dangerous than a full 5 oz tube of toothpaste.

The times I was able to bring them on board they were taken apart and put inside a roller board suitcase. When I was forced to check the bag, they were strapped to the outside of my suitcase.

I might try to carry them on again, but I will have a backup plan to check them just in case.

Zack Karas
(iwillchopyou@hotmail.com) - MLife

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Can you mail them? on 09/01/2009 11:21:05 MDT Print View

I traveled in May and inquired about poles. I was told that they would be confiscated if I tried to carry them on. I ended up shipping them in a small tube for something like $10 each way. The airline was going to charge $25 each way to check them. I believe it was United Airlines.

Frank Perkins
(fperkins)

Locale: North East
Re: Collapsable Hiking Poles on Plane on 09/01/2009 11:38:53 MDT Print View

Thanks, I'm going to ship them just in case.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Collapsable Hiking Poles on airlines on 04/20/2010 14:37:34 MDT Print View

> I was told that they would be confiscated if I tried to carry them on.

Your's didn't break down I take it? There's nothing in the TSA prohibited items section that indicates you couldn't have trekking poles with your carry-on items except ski poles, which are not AFAIK collapsable. They will let you carry on fishing poles. The airline I plan to use also says an "Umbrella or walking stick" may be carried on. I know I can't take my tiny pocket knife. I was actually surprised to learn tent stakes are apparently OK.

Anybody have trouble with an alcohol stove? Anything else that may prevent me from carrying on my backpack???

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Collapsable Hiking Poles on airlines on 04/20/2010 15:46:57 MDT Print View

My poles are collapsible but TSA still refused to let me carry them on. Had to back out and line up at the check-in counter.

Stoves, however, can be carried on board without problems -- as long as they are thoroughly clean and completely free of fuel smell or residue. Fuel is the problem -- not stove.

Tent stakes are OK for carry on -- but knives and multitools must be checked.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
tent stakes in carry on baggage on 04/20/2010 17:11:01 MDT Print View

I had a set of Ti stakes confiscated in Spain a couple of years ago. The idio^H^H security official told me they would have been ok if they had the ends sawn flat, but as they were cut at an angle, I was a potential terrorist.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Collapsable Hiking Poles on Plane on 04/20/2010 17:28:47 MDT Print View

They may not be specifically prohibited, but you won't get through Denver with them.

There, as many places, leave it up to the TSA staff, and CYA is the name of that game.

You might win the argument by quoting regs, but you won't make your flight.

Edit: I just remembered that under Obama things Are changing. For instance, a folding knife under 4" is now allowed. Go Figure.

Edited by greg23 on 04/20/2010 17:30:34 MDT.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Re: Re: Collapsable Hiking Poles on Plane on 04/20/2010 18:27:21 MDT Print View

> You might win the argument by quoting regs, but you won't make your flight.

What's the point in having the regs then if they won't follow them? I'll be returning home through Denver so that's good to know. What else won't they allow that isn't on their list?

They haven't reflected the 4" rule on their website yet if that is indeed true.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Collapsable Hiking Poles on Plane on 04/20/2010 18:33:26 MDT Print View

If you read the TSA rules, there is a list of prohibited items. Also, any TSA inspector can remove or refuse any item that is perceived to be risky.

There is some inconsistency there. One TSA inspector might be confused about what something is and remove it or refuse it, but in fact there was no safety risk at all. That's the part that bugs me. I've had some email discussion with TSA and DOT trying to pin them down about how to get a non-prohibited item packed without fear of somebody getting confused and removing it or refusing it. Basically, that was all a waste of time.
--B.G.--

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Collapsable Hiking Poles on Plane on 04/20/2010 19:05:07 MDT Print View

Bob,

Don't you get it? TSA needs to keep the terrorists guessing! It's their first and last line of defense. You, unfortunately, are what's called collateral damage.

Amy Lauterbach
(drongobird) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Collapsible Hiking Poles on Plane on 04/20/2010 21:48:40 MDT Print View

London Heathrow, August 2009.
Three agents at security debated my collapsible trekking poles and finally called a supervisor who gave verdict - NOPE. Our GoLite umbrellas were OK, but they said they won't let metal-pointy-tipped umbrellas through.

jeff arnfield
(Windward) - F

Locale: NE Tennessee
Carabiners?? on 04/22/2010 06:24:43 MDT Print View

Probably the most bizarre confiscation yet: in 2002 I traveled on business to Geneva, by way of London and Paris. Cleared the US, cleared London, but in Paris the checkpoint guy was convinced that the carabiner I had clipped to my carry-on could be used like brass knuckles, and posed a potential threat. My French is only so good, and in any case I generally follow the tenet of "don't argue with security checkpoint people unless absolutely necessary," so left the 'biner there.

The iffy nature of tent pegs had not occurred to me. If I ever bring my bp kit as carry-on I'll keep that in mind.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
Flying with prohibited materials on 04/22/2010 07:04:01 MDT Print View

On a domestic (USA) flight, I ended up shoving my poles into their shipping tube, and they became my second item of checked luggage. No harm, no foul.

My other checked item was my BP, complete with a bottle of vodka, unopened, since TSA allows unopened booze up to 140 proof (for personal use, ha) in checked baggage but doesn't allow denatured alcohol or esbit tabs in any form, checked or carry-on. I stuck the BP and vodka in an old suitcase to protect them, and everything went just fine.

Stargazer

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Olive Oil in carry on? on 07/09/2010 14:30:06 MDT Print View

How does the 3-1-1 rule work in practice? I think my olive oil bottle is 4 oz so can I only carry 3.4 oz in that bottle or do I need to get a 100 ml bottle? Can you have more than 1 bottle as long as it fits in the quart ziploc?

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Olive Oil in carry on? on 07/09/2010 15:27:18 MDT Print View

No bottle over 3oz (100ml) -- even if liquid content is only partially full and less than 3oz.

Yes, you can have multiple bottles up to 3oz. each as long as all liquid containers fit inside a quart size ziploc bag.

Finally, in many airports around the world (LAX and YVR are two that I know specifically) -- you no longer have to physically place all liquid bottles inside your quart size ziploc bag for separate inspection.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Re: Re: Olive Oil in carry on? on 07/09/2010 17:39:11 MDT Print View

Thanks, Ben. I do happen to have two 2 oz Nalgenes though the flip-tops won't fit them.

What about empty drink bottles (1 liter or 32 oz)? Do I have to buy those at the destination, too?

I think I'll be good to fly now. Will ship my poles and little knife.

Hopefully no grief over alcohol stove, small box of matches and lots of homemade 8" wire stakes for my tarp.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Olive Oil in carry on? on 07/09/2010 18:03:27 MDT Print View

Matches are not allowed in checked baggage, and only one book of ordinary matches is allowed in carry-on.

I don't know how TSA feels about a box of matches.

--B.G.--

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Olive Oil in carry on? on 07/09/2010 18:21:31 MDT Print View

Michael:

Empty drink bottles are OK.

You can certainly ship your poles and knife -- but it might be more convenient just to check them in a cardboard postal tube:

My local PO carries two different sizes -- the large is perfect.

A totally clean alky stove, a box of matches, and wire stakes are OK for carry on. You may already know this, but just in case not -- common lighters (BIC, etc.) are allowed as carry on's.

Edited by ben2world on 07/09/2010 18:25:03 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Olive Oil in carry on? on 07/09/2010 19:36:57 MDT Print View

"You may already know this, but just in case not -- common lighters (BIC, etc.) are allowed as carry on's."

What is your source for this?

I found one old source that says that a common lighter is permitted, but all of the newer sources say not permitted (unless it is empty of fuel). In other words, conflicting information.

--B.G.--