Big Sur for Labor Day Weekend?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Big Sur for Labor Day Weekend? on 08/31/2009 13:19:31 MDT Print View

Going to Big Sur, either Pico Blanco, Pine Valley, Salmon Creek. Anyone interested? Plan on getting to area around 8am and hike before the heat.

Joshua Billings
(Joshua) - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca
Good luck on 09/04/2009 01:05:20 MDT Print View

Wish I could go but I'll be in the Sierras. We should get out soon together.Welcome to the site.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Good luck on 09/04/2009 06:58:31 MDT Print View

Pine valley was a nice trip. Burned trees have their own beauty and everything is growing fast. No ticks, lots of flies and poison oak. Trail in pretty good shape. Trail to waterfall is kind of hard to follow and covered in poison oak. The water was emerald green, as I had read, and colder then lakes in the Sierra; unbelievable...
I packed 25 lbs ( was carrying food for myself and 3 14 year olds), and did pretty good ( 5'2", 105 lbs).
One of the highlights was having coffee with Jack English in his cabin. At 90, he still hikes the 6 miles with his supplies once a month. What an inspiration...

Edited by Kat_P on 09/08/2009 09:29:35 MDT.

Simon Weiss
(SimonGtr) - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
Isn't the Pine Valley trail still closed? on 09/12/2009 10:42:25 MDT Print View

I'm planning a trip for this coming weekend and would love some advice for trails in Big Sur.

I heard the trail to Sykes hot springs, Pine Valley (right?), is closed. Am I wrong?

Where else would people recommend for a 2 nighter?

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

big sur on 09/12/2009 16:56:06 MDT Print View

Sykes is closed for 3 more weeks, supposedly. The hike to Pine Valley from China Camp, at Tassajara Road, was very nice. Once in Pine Valley, you can keep on going, if you want. We went in on Saturday, 6 miles. Out on Sunday, same way. Getting there is pretty much downhill, with beautiful views. trail was clear. Landscape burnt, which I found very interesting. Pine valley is beautiful. The hike to the waterfall is steep, may be hard to find, covered in poison oak.The pool is beautiful, but get there between 11 am and 2 pm or you will find no sun. The water is unbelievably cold, numbing... Lots of flies, no ticks.
Go past Pine Valley a few minutes, into Jacks private property. He'll love to visit, let you use fresh water, offer you tea and some amazing stories. The meadow is breathtaking and the sandstone boulders behind the ponderosa pines are great to climb on and enjoy the view.