Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
What scale do you use?
Display Avatars Sort By:
ronald liljedahl
(trout.1) - M
What scale do you use? on 02/26/2006 19:29:08 MST Print View

I am looking for a scale to individually weigh and evaluate each piece of my gear? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: What scale do you use? on 02/26/2006 20:25:41 MST Print View

Any good digital postal scale that weighs both grams and ounces/pounds from 1 gram to 2 kilograms and .1 oz to 5 pounds. The .1-5 pound range is wide enough to weigh everything except perhaps the full pack. You will get closer accuracy with the gram measurement because most scales handle only 0.1 ounce- going to only one decimal place. These specs are shared by almost all digital scales from cheap to over $100 that I have seen. Maybe there is something better out there. If so, I would like to know about it, too.

Mark Larson
(mlarson) - MLife

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: Re: What scale do you use? on 02/26/2006 20:41:26 MST Print View

I use a Pelouze, model SP5. Nothing special, it cost about $30 at a local Office Depot, I think. It measures as fine as whole grams or tenths of an ounce, in the weight range as Vick described. I've never needed anything more precise.
-Mark

Curtis Presson
(Obdewla_X) - F
What scale do you use? on 02/26/2006 22:24:38 MST Print View

I also use a digital scale that weighs in grams, ounces & lbs. A good one is fairly inexpensive and most will give you an accurate reading. They're especially useful as you continue to try and shave ounces. I also use a digital fish scale which weighs up to 50 lbs. so I can weigh my pack after I'm done packing up. If I don't like my pack weight I sort through my stuff and see where I might be able to shave some extra weight.

Scott Peterson
(scottalanp) - F

Locale: Northern California
Re: What scale do you use? on 02/26/2006 22:45:17 MST Print View

Someone posted the Circuit City basement sale site a while back and sure enough they have/had nice little digital scales that go grams and tenths of ounces (with tare function) for $13 plus a couple bucks shipping. The quality seems good.