Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
WTB: Quilt, I've decided to try one...
Display Avatars Sort By:
Chris Wheless
(chriswheless)

Locale: Virginia
WTB: Quilt, I've decided to try one... on 08/18/2009 06:26:52 MDT Print View

I've decided to try using a quilt this fall. I live in VA so our winters are not harsh. As I'm not sure if I'm going to like it, I've decided not to purchase a new one. I'm open to down or synthetic. I'm 5'11" 165. Can anyone help me out?

john Tier
(Peter_pan) - M

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA
VA location on 08/18/2009 08:08:17 MDT Print View

Where are you in VA? Jacks 'R' Better is in Yorktown, you can drive over and check out 20 models and sizes any time, if you are close enough.

Pan

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: WTB: Quilt, I've decided to try one... on 08/18/2009 08:18:45 MDT Print View

Chris,

As the happy owner of two quilts (both from above mentioned company) I can say many of us love 'em, some hate 'em.

Tell us more about your sleep system, expected temps, base pack wt., etc. and you'll get plenty of advice.

As far as your size goes, a "regular" in most brands will work for you.

Todd

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
wtb: quilt on 08/18/2009 11:17:08 MDT Print View

www.te-waunderquilts.blogspot.com

only a few models, sealed with a k.i.s.s.

Chris Wheless
(chriswheless)

Re: VA location on 08/18/2009 11:57:41 MDT Print View

I'm in Richmond. I may have to drive down and test drive one...

Chris Wheless
(chriswheless)

Re: Re: WTB: Quilt, I've decided to try one... on 08/18/2009 12:03:09 MDT Print View

Well, I have a MLD superlight bivy which I will be using with the quilt and my Gatewood cape. I also use a Hennessy Ultralight Backpacker just as much so the quilt will need to work with the Hennessy undercover. I've been looking at the MLD quilts as well as Jacks R better and golite. Temp ranges will be lows from 25-40 with the occasional single digit week or two in Jan y Feb...

Troy Ammons
(tammons) - F
WTB: Quilt, I've decided to try one on 08/18/2009 12:10:27 MDT Print View

Have Tim build one for you.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Re: Re: WTB: Quilt, I've decided to try one... on 08/18/2009 13:03:49 MDT Print View

Chris,

I'm similar to you in regards to my set-ups. Gatewood & bivy on the ground and hammock in the trees.

My JRB No Sniveller has seen me thru many nights in those temps in both shelters. Mike & Tim both make great choices, based on owner feedback (I bought a tarp from Mike and it is a great piece of gear). I feel confident MLD makes a great quilt, too.

Seeing one in person, as you've planned, is a great idea.

Aside from the high quality of JRB gear, based on my experience, extending the range down into the high teens can be easily done w/ a down hood/balaclava and a puffy jacket. The bivy greatly helps this, as well.

***Edit: I realized after the fact that I misunderstood: you're looking for one, rather than opinions. Hope my advice helps as you evaluate options. Sorry about that!

Edited by funnymoney on 08/18/2009 13:34:32 MDT.

Chris Wheless
(chriswheless)

No prob on 08/18/2009 14:22:12 MDT Print View

Advice is always good

john Tier
(Peter_pan) - M

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA
PM response on 08/18/2009 14:59:19 MDT Print View

Chris,

The BPL link to your PM is lost to me....Bottom line is we will be in the shop tomorrow...9-5 less 12-1 for lunch and a shipping run....Come by at your convience.

Pan