Forum Index » Post-Trip Reports » Bonds Loop (White Mountains) 8/14-16/09

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Locale: Maine!
Bonds Loop (White Mountains) 8/14-16/09 on 08/17/2009 07:59:20 MDT Print View

Angela Z, Gary H and I managed to get out for a humid, sunny weekend in the White Mountains for a mini-BPL-Northeast-Chapter hike. I'll just post a few pictures for now, but if you want the full story, I just put it up here.Fording the Pemigewasset River
Fording the Pemi River, somewhat unnecessarily, since there was a bridge right around the corner.View from Bondcliff
Looking at Owl's Head and Franconia Ridge from Bondcliff.
bondcliff
The classic Bondcliff photo with West Bond behind us.
galehead
Hazy evening with Mount Garfield and Galehead Hut.Owl's Head summit
Gary and me at the summit of Owl's Head, enjoying the extensive views.green tunnel
The green tunnel to the finish line.

For a full range of pictures, go here.

edit: stupid sideways pictures...

Edited by ryan.c.linn on 08/17/2009 08:07:15 MDT.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Bonds Loop (White Mountains) 8/14-16/09 on 08/17/2009 18:24:28 MDT Print View

Nice photos. I was up on Franconia there a few weekends ago, but was socked in with fog. Nice to see the mountains.

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: Bonds Loop (White Mountains) 8/14-16/09 on 08/17/2009 20:39:36 MDT Print View

Looks like a great trip! Thanks for sharing!

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Bonds Loop on 08/17/2009 21:29:01 MDT Print View

Great pictures--Not too many Green Tunnels here in the West-I wish the Sierras were a little bit more lush and not in a drought!!

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: Bonds Loop (White Mountains) 8/14-16/09 on 08/18/2009 05:43:48 MDT Print View

Its been a long time since Ive been to the Bonds. I intend to go there before the winter comes.
I see that you went to the Long trail Festival too. I missed it again this year!

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Re: Bonds Loop on 08/18/2009 07:59:08 MDT Print View

Jay, did I hear a west-coast hiker wishing for east-coast terrain? That's got to be a first.

Has anyone clicked on the link for the rest of the pictures? Picture of a maggot-ridden moose carcass, anyone? Have I piqued your interest?

Yep, this trip to the Whites reminded me that carrying a light pack doesn't necessarily make your a better hiker-- my legs were quite sore at the end of the day.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Bonds loop vs Sierras on 08/18/2009 08:55:25 MDT Print View

Nice Moose Dude!!! A green tunnel would be a change of pace compared to looking at Yosemite Valley, 12 to 14,000 ft peaks and glacial domes.. Just having fun-still great pictures....

Angela Zukowski
(AngelaZ) - F

Re: Re: Bonds Loop on 08/18/2009 13:12:04 MDT Print View

Yeah... very relieved to hear that you were hurting as well, Ryan! Great trip, excellent scenery... good times!

I was beat the next day at work, though. Sheesh.

Anyway. Hopefully more BPL New Englanders will be able to join in next time! We'll have to plan a trip with more advance notice... and better conditioned legs!

James Dubendorf
(dubendorf)

Locale: CO, UT, MA, ME, NH, VT
New England Hikers... on 08/18/2009 14:55:33 MDT Print View

Hello All,

Great hike summary! I am recently relocated to RI from Boulder, CO, and would love to join in on future expeditions. The Rockies are great and all, but man have I missed the northeast.

Cheers,
James

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Re: New England Hikers... on 08/19/2009 06:46:32 MDT Print View

More NE BPL hikes would be great. Anybody want to try a day hike some weekend in September? We'll see.

Spruce Goose
(SpruceGoose) - F

day hike on 08/19/2009 14:12:24 MDT Print View

The VT50 is 9/27. I find that it always makes for a nice day hike.

Jonathan Ryan
(Jkrew81) - F - M

Locale: White Mtns
Re: day hike on 09/07/2009 09:37:43 MDT Print View

that is a great loop you guys did. I would love to tag along next time!