November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
So 1.25 tyvek leaks so now what
Display Avatars Sort By:
Troy Ammons
(tammons) - F - MLife
1.25oz tyvek leaks so now what on 08/14/2009 14:35:53 MDT Print View

Got it from Quest, folded some square into a cone and it drips. Maybe okay for a temporary sun shade tarp or a bivy under a tarp or in a tent that wont have to handle too much water.

I had hoped it would be more waterproof.

So now I am looking for a breathable material again.

What I want is a breathable truely waterproof fabric for a bivy. I like to sleep under the stars at times, and if I get caught in a short shower at night, I dont want to have to worry about getting soaked.

I would also like to build a gatewood type shaped tarp out of some sort of breathable material although I could probably just use silnylon for that.

Edited by tammons on 08/14/2009 14:38:01 MDT.

Sam Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
W/B tent materials on 08/16/2009 21:49:51 MDT Print View

The best stuff I've found so far is Epic Malibu, used by Black Diamond, about 1.8 oz/sq yd. It is occasionally available at thru-hiker and some other sites. It does not meet CPAI specs. Looking at the Essence and Mica jackets, I suspect that lighter and more breathable materials will become available soon. And from this forum, there is much info about the Tyvek. For my next project, I am going to go with the Epic, well vented.
Sam Farrington, Chocourua NH

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: W/B tent materials on 08/16/2009 23:17:32 MDT Print View has the malibu