Sierra High Route discussion
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: SHR on 08/19/2009 02:03:13 MDT Print View

Sucks hard about your ankle Zack. Injuries are no fun.

Roman Ryder
(RomanLA) - F

Locale: Southwest Louisiana
1000 Island Bear on 08/30/2009 22:36:29 MDT Print View

I ran into a ranger that warned me about a bear(s) that was making rounds at 1000 Islands and Garnet. I pushed on to Ruby that day and had a bear free night. Actually, I never saw a single bear! :(

p.s. Inyo National Forest has some hot female rangers! :P

Robert Perkins
(rp3957)

Locale: The Sierras
SHR; Alpine Col or Snow Tongue Pass? on 09/04/2009 21:37:44 MDT Print View

Also, we used Alpine Col route as we went over Piute Pass to resupply. I know that Snowtongue Pass is a little sketchy.

Dave T., I am looking at doing my second section of the SHR next year and am debating which pass to do, Alpine Col or Snow Tongue Pass. I hear that Alpine is very difficult due to talus and Snow Tongue can be difficult due to a steep snow field. I have been over Frozen Lake Pass and found it to be a little intimidating at first, but very doable with patience. I am not very experienced in steep snow descents, nor do I have crampons or an ice ax, so I am leaning more towards Alpine. Do you have any advice on Alpine Col?

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
snowtongue. on 09/05/2009 17:21:03 MDT Print View

Well, we did Alpine Col since it's a much quicker way to Piute (which we headed down to resupply and relax after a very long seven days in snow). It was almost all snow on both sides, except some rock near the top. It was a snow slog up and a glissade down. So I can really say much about what it would be like without snow. Like most of the passes on the SHR, it looks worse from a distance.

But remember that these Sierra passes can hold snow on the north sides for a long time, and if there isn't a snowy runout at the bottom, they can be awfully dangerous to descend (if you slip). That's where the ice axe comes in handy - preventing a slip. If I'm in the Sierra on snow, I want to have one - they make very light ones. I use an old Cassin Ghost 70cm. If you have one, definitely learn to use it correctly, and practice!