Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How to Recharge Your Soul - NY Times Op-Ed

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mark Hobbs
(markhobbs) - F
How to Recharge Your Soul - NY Times Op-Ed on 08/10/2009 21:03:11 MDT Print View

Did anyone notice this article in the NY Times the other day?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/09/opinion/09kristof.html?bl&ex=1249963200&en=ce185b35dda494d2&ei=5087%0A

Not a bad intro to UL backpacking.

Sean Walashek
(caraz) - F

Locale: bay area
not bad at all on 08/10/2009 22:50:20 MDT Print View

Mention of some cottage opperations and sound techniques.

GJ guy!

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Locale: Maine!
Re: How to Recharge Your Soul - NY Times Op-Ed on 08/11/2009 07:29:34 MDT Print View

My aunt mentioned this to me and I was pretty surprised. Had to read it twice to see if I wasn't imagining things. He mentioned 10-pound packs as the way any non-novice backpacker should pack, Gossamer Gear and Western Mountaineering as good brands to check out, and the reasons for people being afraid of bears. Pretty sweet to see that UL is making it to the bigger world... NY Times is definitely mainstream, although I don't know if they're usually purveyors of backpacking technique.

Here's his blog with some more info: http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/09/how-to-get-out-in-the-woods/

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: How to Recharge Your Soul - NY Times Op-Ed on 08/11/2009 08:34:31 MDT Print View

It's great to see that Nick Kristof is a UL backpacker. Given his bio, it makes a lot of sense.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
Re: How to Recharge Your Soul - NY Times Op-Ed on 08/23/2009 21:09:43 MDT Print View

What a great guy. Just met him the other week in Ashland before he went with his sons to hike the Timberline Trail around Hood (a la UL). His "Recharge Your Soul" column remains one of the most read on the NYTimes site. What a great plug for Gossamer Gear.
Off for my own UL excursion with my son.
Cheers.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Getting outside on 08/24/2009 08:39:32 MDT Print View

And the times, they are a-changin... maybe.

I seem to remember some sort of statistics that people aren't doing the outdoor thing as much as they used to. That, along with kids getting too much tube-and-keyboard time.

I took a physical geology class years ago and many in the class couldn't grasp the concepts of stream morphology. It dawned on me that they had never played on a stream bank or gone rock-hopping, which I had done since I could walk. The ramifications of that are broad, not least of which is that people who don't experience nature won't protect it.

It is good to see a major media outlet cover hiking and UL to boot.

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
How to Recharge Your Soul - NY Times Op-Ed on 08/24/2009 14:00:02 MDT Print View

"people who don't experience nature won't protect it"

Dale - well said.

Nice to have Kevin rear his mythical head again!

Edited by rosierabbit on 08/24/2009 14:00:35 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: How to Recharge Your Soul - NY Times Op-Ed on 08/25/2009 14:03:38 MDT Print View

Ah, heck!

Now we are going to have hordes of people invading and over-populating the back county. :)

But GG could benefit... if they had any inventory left to sell.