Sierra High Route-1 partner needed for a section
Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Chamoun
(snowchief) - F

Locale: SoCal
Sierra High Route-1 partner needed for a section on 08/10/2009 17:44:39 MDT Print View

I know this is last minute notice but is anyone (1 person) willing to join me on the Sierra High Route from North Lake to Reds Meadow starting WED AUGUST 12. It'll be around 6 days. I started to thru-hike it the beginning of this month but my partner got hurt coming down a gnarly Class 3 descent off Frozen Lake Pass. It's about a 55 mile (62 total if you include non-SHR miles) section with probably 10-15 mile days (off-trail is slow going). I've already backpacked the first 65 (Aug3-8) until the incident. I have maps/compass/permit and need a partner with experience who is in top physical condition and who is comfortable with talus fields and the like. Would rather have a real person than SPOT with me.
My email: nano.michael@gmail.com

Klas Eklof
(klaseklof) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
SHR on 08/11/2009 13:57:59 MDT Print View

Hi Michael,

Sorry to hear about your partner's injury. I can't join you. However, I will be at Red's on the 20th, and starting the 21st I will be hiking the Route northward, going as far as Horse Creek Pass. From there I will be climbing Matterhorn and then returning to Tuolumne via Don't Be a Smart Pass. Perhaps I'll see you out there.

Between North Lake and Red's, it's really nice. For me, White Pass was the most intense.
Have a safe trip.

- Klas

Michael Chamoun
(snowchief) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: SHR on 08/11/2009 23:50:42 MDT Print View

Hey Klas,

Have fun on your trek. I will be out by the 17th so unfortunately I don't think we will meet. White Pass was long but I think Snow-Tongue was much more extreme to me. I'm looking forward to the rest. Take care.

Michael

Klas Eklof
(klaseklof) - MLife

Re: SHR on 08/12/2009 10:39:17 MDT Print View

Sorry, I meant White Bear Pass, between Feather and Lake Italy, on the section you're about to do... enjoy!

- k

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
white bear pass. on 08/12/2009 10:47:36 MDT Print View

Yes, that was pretty steep. It was snow covered when we did it, but early in the morning it was just steep and hard snow, with some exposed rock at the bottom. So it was crampons and careful descending.

Stay right to avoid the cliffy bands on the left (when descending), correct?

Have a great time on your hike, and be careful!

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
white bear pass. on 08/12/2009 11:51:20 MDT Print View

in looking at the topo, it seems like you could also go NE from White Bear Lake, descending to Jumble Lake, and wander down to Lake Italy that way, avoiding the White Bear Pass descent.

i imagine there's some amount of old trail that leads to Italy Pass remaining around Jumble Lake.

Klas Eklof
(klaseklof) - MLife

white bear pass on 08/12/2009 15:58:44 MDT Print View

Dave, you are correct, Roper even lists that as an alternate route.

On white bear I found myself gripping willow branches. Too sketchy. I think I overcompensated and actually went too far right. I remember I was in a hurry.

Zack Karas
(iwillchopyou@hotmail.com) - MLife

Locale: Lake Tahoe
SHT solo on 08/12/2009 20:07:04 MDT Print View

Is it really that sketchy to hike the Sierra High Route solo? I'm contemplating this for a solo trip either late this year or next year. I understand that there are increased risks involved (cross-country, scrambling, very little traffic, etc), but for the experienced long-distance backpacker is it still seen as foolhardy?

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
SHR solo on 08/12/2009 23:44:33 MDT Print View

Personally I'd say yes it is sketchy. I hiked for days and days alone on the PCT, and never gave it a second thought.

But the High Route spends lots of time on unstable, steep talus, and it's just too easy for something to move and break an ankle or something. Descending from bagging Banner Peak on the SHR, I had a large rock move and I feel onto my side before I could even put an arm out, and cracking (I can only assume) a couple ribs. We did it very early season, and also contended with some serious stream crossings, steep icy snowslopes, and other issues.

I love hiking alone, but I would definitely not do the SHR alone. Most days we didn't see a single other person, and help could be a long time coming if a solo hiker hurt themselves badly (at least carry a sat phone, spot, or PLB!).

Zack Karas

SHR solo on 08/13/2009 11:05:01 MDT Print View

Thanks, Dave. I spent some time reading past threads on the SHR and am going to start a new thread with some questions I have that you, Klas and maybe others might be able to answer.

Klas Eklof
(klaseklof) - MLife

SHR solo on 08/16/2009 20:44:14 MDT Print View

Hi Zack,

I did the SHR solo.
I carried a PLB.
I think there is a very small fraction of people who are suited for it.

Looking forward to the new thread.

Zack Karas

SHR on 08/16/2009 20:50:11 MDT Print View

Klas, I would love it if you could find my new thread titled "Sierra High Route Discussion" and check out some of my introductory questions.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: SHR on 08/16/2009 21:45:14 MDT Print View

That thread is found here.

Edited by greg23 on 08/16/2009 21:45:53 MDT.

Zack Karas

thanks on 08/17/2009 10:07:29 MDT Print View

thanks, Greg--I have no idea how to post active links like that.