Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
question about dehydrating a recipe
Display Avatars Sort By:
Angela Zukowski
(AngelaZ) - F

Locale: New England
question about dehydrating a recipe on 08/10/2009 14:32:25 MDT Print View

I'm thinking of dehydrating my favorite orzo salad... it contains olive oil and fresh lemon juice. I was going to omit the olive oil and add when rehydrating, but was wondering if the lemon juice will not taste so hot after the dehydration process. I've noticed a lot of the recipes for fbc call for stuff like true lime. So should I also omit the lemon juice? The recipe would then basically be down to just dill and red onion at that point, since I don't think rehydrated cucumber & feta will be too appealing :(

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: question about dehydrating a recipe on 08/10/2009 16:55:46 MDT Print View

I have dried with lemon juice before :-) Just use fresh lemon juice though.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
lemons and dehydration on 08/10/2009 18:01:12 MDT Print View

Angela use fresh lemon juice as Sarah mentions. You could also use a small grating of lemon zest. True Lemon is hard to find up here so I often dry meals with the lemon juice already added.

Feta dries and rehydrates quite nicely by the way.

Edited by Laurie_Ann on 08/10/2009 18:01:44 MDT.

Angela Zukowski
(AngelaZ) - F

Re: lemons and dehydration on 08/11/2009 06:23:24 MDT Print View

Thanks Sarah & Laurie!

I'm so glad to hear that feta dries well... I was worried it would get rancid and so was going to omit it. I definitely won't store it for a long time, but at least now I know it's doable!

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Re: Re: lemons and dehydration on 08/11/2009 07:40:29 MDT Print View

Certain brands are smelly when being dried (so have a window open if possible) but it works out very well. Feta, because of the salt content, will keep for a few months when dried. It becomes gravel-like too - so that's how you can tell if it is dried. I use it in a Quinoa Soup quite often and I also dry it as a pizza topping and for trail salads. Keep the pieces under 1 centimeter (slightly less than 1/2 inch).

Angela Zukowski
(AngelaZ) - F

Re: Re: Re: lemons and dehydration on 08/11/2009 07:52:41 MDT Print View

I'm really excited to hear this. Thank you for the input. I'll have to post on here once I have results!

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

feta on 08/11/2009 09:00:45 MDT Print View

Anytime you have any questions feel free to ask. There aren't too many foods I haven't tried to dry.