Locale: Ozarks
Snakebites on 08/10/2009 11:14:16 MDT Print View

Wow, how about this $73,000 Snakebite?

Has anyone ever been bit?

Charles G.
(Rincon) - M

Locale: Desert Southwest
Snakebites on 08/10/2009 16:43:38 MDT Print View

Yes, but it turned out to be a "dry" bite: no venom. The "dryness" became obvious before I got out the tourniquet, suction cup and scalpel blade that were traditional treatment in those days.
The bite was from a western diamondback about 4' long. I was 12 years old at the time. Sixty years later, I still remember how hard it hit; it felt like someones fist striking me. The whole thing scared the heck out of me and as a consequence, I have developed a fairly cautious hiking style when I'm in snake country and, Arizona is snake country. I have also had my dog trained to avoid snakes.

Bill Poett
(wpoett@aol.com) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara
"Snakebites" on 08/10/2009 18:00:18 MDT Print View

Yeah my dog.

I live and grew up spending summers and weekends on our family ranch north of Santa Barbara, I was openning a gate and my lab was chaseing lizards as is there pastime. She yelped and went about three feet straight up, my dad and I saw the rattles scoot off into the sage. 30 minutes to the vet, a shot of anti venom and a lab with a head that looked like a Saint Bernard for two weeks. She lived a long happy life after that.

As a kid I was scared to death of snakes, did the research,looked at the numbers 1,200 annual bites average a year in the US resulting in about 12 deaths. I've come realizing that any friday night on the road is way scarier than snakes. I see 3 or 4 rattlers a year around my home and on the trail, I let them see and hear me, I respect their space and we get along just fine.

Hope it helps.

Bill