Forum Index » GEAR » Think it would be warm for 30-40F tempatures?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tim Testa
(MichaelRedbeard) - F
Think it would be warm for 30-40F tempatures? on 08/08/2009 00:15:54 MDT Print View

Does anyone have any experience of thoughts. It caught me eye while I was debating over the NeoAir.

http://www.rei.com/product/788053

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Locale: Cascadia
hmm on 08/08/2009 00:26:58 MDT Print View

It's a great price ($50) but at 21oz you could get something a lot warmer if you spent more. A GoLite Ultra 20 is rated to 20F and weighs less (19oz). That might not do you to 20F, but it would certainly be a lot warmer than this.

Tim Testa
(MichaelRedbeard) - F
It Can't Be Down Though... on 08/08/2009 00:29:03 MDT Print View

The Go Lite that you speak of it made with down. Any other suggestions. I want something that is not made of down and is not a mummy. I cant stand being in a mummy bag. I like to sleep on my stomach and side, the mummy bags get in my face.

Edited by MichaelRedbeard on 08/08/2009 00:31:35 MDT.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Quilts on 08/08/2009 01:13:40 MDT Print View

Have look here for good value and here for make your own and if you have the $s here. BPL also sell synthetic quilts. No way I can see the Thermarest one getting you anywhere near 30F unless you are wearing a lot of clothes.

Edited by jephoto on 08/08/2009 04:19:35 MDT.

Tim Testa
(MichaelRedbeard) - F
So When You Say Quilt... on 08/08/2009 02:35:45 MDT Print View

You mean as in a Quilt like I would use on my bed at home at night in the winter but in some kind of backpacking verison. Is that to say that it is like a sheet rather than a shell? What are the pros and cons between the two? I am interested to hear more about the quilts even though I am guessing they wont keep you as warm if they do not shell you. Thanks.

Edited by MichaelRedbeard on 08/08/2009 02:36:28 MDT.

Ashley Brown
(ashleyb) - F
Re: So When You Say Quilt... on 08/08/2009 02:49:43 MDT Print View

Quilts are just like what you would use at home, only lighter and with a water-repellent shell. They are usually filled with down, like a sleeping bag, but you can get synthetic filled quilts too.

Unless you are always camping in wet conditions you'd be far better off with a down-filled quilt or sleeping bag. They are considerably lighter, warmer, and pack smaller. Some people here use a light synthetic quilt (eg. one of the BPL ones) during summer, but for 30F conditions I think you'll find that almost everyone uses down.

The REI quilt you linked to has a very poor warmth to weight ratio.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Quilts on 08/08/2009 04:23:37 MDT Print View

If you click on the links I gave you will see how a quilt works (they are similar to the blanket you linked to originally). More info in this BPL article here. As has been said most people use down quilts, but others do use a synthetic quilt in combination with synthetic insulated jackets and pants. For down quilts the Golite Ultra or the JRB no-sniveler seem good value to me. I have the no-sniveler and have been impressed in my limited use of it so far.

Lori Pontious
(lori999) - M

Locale: Central Valley
quilts on 08/08/2009 08:42:13 MDT Print View

I use JRB three season quilts in the high Sierras and have been warm, happy and very much the envy of the people with sleeping bags with optimistic ratings.

I loaned my Ray Way alpine upgrade to someone on our last outing (week on the JMT) and he was very warm, had to open a side out, even though there were gale force cold winds and freezing temps. I loan the Ray Way nowadays because I find that the down quilts pack smaller and work just fine. The Ray Way doesn't seem to breathe as well as down and requires some time in the sun to deal with condensation inside the quilt.

Troy Ammons
(tammons) - F
Have Tim build one for you on 08/08/2009 10:33:47 MDT Print View

I think the one in the link will take you down to 50-55dF although that is a nice price.

You should be able to hit 16-18 +- oz with climasheild quilt good to 40dF depending on the size.

I am a side sleeper too, and have been testing a quilt I built about 4 months ago. Slept in it a lot. Originally it had a drawstring footbox, but after playing around with it a bit, I have modified the design into something that works better for me. IMO a drawstring closes the end down too much vs extra length needed vs weight, so I changed it to just a velcroed flap, IE the last 12" and the footbox is velcroed together into what would be a vertical seam.

Being velcro, you can open it completely up, add a triangle footbox end or whatever, but I did find as a side sleeper the vert velcroed end fit my feet better than a drawstring setup. Oyu could also do it with a zipper if you dont like velcro.

On the real deal I will be making shortly out of climasheild, I will build in a baffle to go over the end.
Should cost about $120 in materials. Mine should end up about 14-15 oz.

I am trying to set it up as more of a system this time, IE the quilt will fasten to the bivy top, the bivy wide enough for a neoair large inside the bivy. The quilt closes down to the edge of the neoair etc.

As a side sleeper, if I am in a mummy bag I turn the entire bag so the face hole says in the right place.
With a quilt I turn over under the quilt.

Here is a plan of the quilt I have so far, but I need to take a few more measurements. Its based on the one I have now. I am tall so its long. It is almost exactly 3 square yards, so in my case with 1 oz momentum you would have 6 oz of cloth + 3 SY of 2.5 oz climasheild or 7.5oz + 1oz velcro, drawstring, straps and misc = 14.5oz

Oh yeah, get a neoair. Its comfortable and very light.

Photobucket

Edited by tammons on 08/08/2009 10:37:11 MDT.

James Patsalides
(james@patsalides.com) - MLife

Locale: New England
BPL Quilt on 08/08/2009 19:20:41 MDT Print View

Tim:
Check out BPL's quilts. I did the cost/weight/warmth thing a couple of months ago - I think they're the best!

They have a foot box like a sleeping bag, but no zipper, some have a strap. BPL's has a draw string and mini cord lock. They're much lighter than an equivalent sleeping bag. Basically, you sleep with a coat on (ideally a puffy insulated one), pull your feet into the foot box, lie on your sleeping pad for insulation underneath. I found myself MUCH warmer than in an equivalent sleeping bag, because there are no pressure points like there are with sleeping bags. For 4 season, you could probably put your quilt INSIDE another sleeping bag and add 10-15dF to the rating.

Cheers, James.