Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Pancakes

Display Avatars Sort By:
Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster) - F

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Thanks. on 10/26/2013 21:48:10 MDT Print View

And mine's only 4-1/2" wide. Looks like you found a better pan for packing, Jack. I'll see if I can locate one, thanks.

Edited by Bolster on 10/26/2013 21:48:52 MDT.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
pans on 10/26/2013 21:51:47 MDT Print View

I think the top is 6" and then it tappers down to 5.5" still the best pan I've found for my needs.
Jack

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
pancakes on 10/27/2013 00:17:48 MDT Print View

We like to use the MSR Flex skillet (same as what Sarah recommended)when camping with our boys or another couple and it nests well with our larger group cook kit. We use the smaller Quick skillet 7" when alone. It nests with our smaller couples cook kit and is listed as 5.9oz with the removable handle. A little bit heavier than those listed above by others, but works very well for pancakes, smaller sized tortillas, or fried fish. Granted, most of our camping is via canoe and a few extra ounces here and there are less of an issue.

Bisquick makes a biscuit mix pouch that just requires water in a couple different flavors. Cheesy garlic good for with dinner. The honey butter mix is good as pan biscuits or pancakes (if thinned out with extra water) and are sweet enough not to require syrup...though that would be good too...

Edited by BER on 10/27/2013 00:22:22 MDT.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster) - F

Alcohol Pancakes on 12/01/2013 23:44:21 MST Print View

Pleased to report, have been able to successfully make pancakes on an alcohol stove, a Packafeather XL. Maybe 'cakes on alcohol stoves is common, but it's new to me, and I'm tickled pink.

I've been using Kodiak Cakes Flapjack Mix (found at Stater's). Start the stove on high and let it warm up, maybe a minute, then throttle back about 3 or 4 turns of the flame control to a low flame. I found Jack's Imusa pan (at Kmart), which works wonderfully, and have been cranking out beautiful flapjacks with a lightweight kit...soon to get very lightweight as soon as I replace the pan's heavy handle. (A handle replacement is a must, because it's so big and heavy, it drags the pan off the stove if you don't hold it in place.)

Thanks to all for the hints and how-to's. Being able to flapjack in the backcountry is a BIG DEAL for me. Will provide welcome variety from the oatmeal-every-morning routine.

Edited by Bolster on 12/01/2013 23:47:13 MST.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Muffins on 12/02/2013 00:34:52 MST Print View

I'm sure that this link has been posted to BPL in other places, but have you seen this from Mike Clellands website:

http://ultralightbackpackintips.blogspot.com/2011/02/muffins-with-ul-stove-set-up.html

I'm more of a muffin person than a pancake person, and this was an eyeopener to me. Yet another thing to possibly add to your breakfast repertoire.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Fry pans on 12/11/2013 17:22:10 MST Print View

I have tried 4 different fry pans.

1 Ti fry pan from Japan-> WORST d@mn pan made. Hot spot in center, cool on the edges and food sticks like crazy.

2. 8" aluminum non-stick-> Nice for a small group. I removed the handle

3. Small (5 inch) non stick-> too small fer me

4. small 5.75 inch non stick ceramic coated-> just barely large enough and a great non-stick finish. From WallyMart (GAK!) This is the best one yet for solo or 2 people. (Handle removed also.)

I carry a tiny plastic spatula and it's great for cooking scrambled eggs too.

Phillip Asby
(PGAsby) - M

Locale: North Carolina
Pans on 12/13/2013 07:46:22 MST Print View

I have at least one pot top "pan" in nonstick but am not crazy about it as a go to option.

The small ceramic from Wally World sounds promising - for those who remove the handles from these how do you control the pan/heat - solely with the stove control? I tend to move my pans on/off the heat when cooking to regulate temp particularly on gas. It seems like grabbing the pan at some point is a necessity and no handle seems problematic - unless youre using a pot grabber of some sort?

Michael Driscoll
(Hillhikerz) - M

Locale: Monterey Bay
Pancakes on 12/13/2013 09:41:05 MST Print View

So the pan, stove and maple syrup has been figured out what about butter and crispy edges...
I have never tried dehydrated butter, does it work... No butter is a deal breaker for me...

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Butter on 12/13/2013 10:36:49 MST Print View

You could just bring butter in a Ziplock bag. Nowadays I have a small screw-top container that I put coconut oil or ghee in and use that for cooking. Coconut oil doesn't need to be refrigerated. They both will get you crispy fat-laden pancakes.

Ben H.
(bzhayes) - F

Locale: So. California
Re: Pancakes on 12/13/2013 11:33:09 MST Print View

butter is quite shelf stable. We leave it out on the counter for days at a time. It never seems to go rancid. Gee is even more shelf stable.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Re: Butter on 12/13/2013 11:55:01 MST Print View

Yep, just carry the real thing!

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster) - F

Shelf Life on 12/13/2013 19:39:16 MST Print View

Ben's right. Butter will last a long time unrefrigerated--should do a week easy. Butter has been around for thousands of years and refrigeration started going mainstream in the 1920s.

There's also the option of butter flavored oil.