Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
My General 3 Season Gear List
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Too Many Stuff Sacks on 09/04/2009 18:28:46 MDT Print View

Here is my re-styled gear list. This gear list now includes the Ti stakes, FeatherFire stove and Montbell U.L. Parka, all of which I have on order.

GearList Sept5

I'm trying to be as realistic as I can with this gear list. I want to bring the full tent since I'm often in buggy conditions and I want to include my rain gear and full insulation clothing because I'll usually want those. I think this gear list is quite complete and accurate.

My attention right now has shifted towards a few areas:
1) Stuff Sacks
2) Pot
3) Raingear

Stuff Sacks
I am currently carrying 4.1oz worth of stuff sacks for my quilt, essentials and food sack. I'm thinking about picking up some cuben stuff sacks for all 3 of these purposes. I'm just a bit worried though about my down quilt. I know cuben is waterproof but I'm not sure I trust the cinch closure if I really get in pouring rain all day. I could add a cuben pack liner too, but then I don't think I'd be saving much weight and it would cost more. I could go with a packliner and no stuff sack for the quilt, but I'd still need sacks for the food and 'essentials'. I could use some advice on what others do for stuff sacks. It's too bad Zpacks is closed for a few months because MLD is a lot more expensive and they don't have as much selection. It might just be best to replace my wife's 2.7oz dry sack with a cuben one for $20 and leave it at that for now.

Ti Pot
My 1.5L hard anodized aluminum pot, lid and lifter weighs 10.7 ounces and a 1.3L Evernew Ti pot weighs 4.6oz. I could pick up this pot for about $50 and save 6 ounces....pretty darn tempting.

Raingear
Both my rain jacket and pants weigh over 50% more then they need to. I'm carrying about 10 ounces more than necessary here. There is some really nice gear (ie. Marmot Mica jkt, GoLite Reed pants) that's pretty tempting. Dollars per ounce, the Ti Pot is probably the best deal though.

Edited by dandydan on 09/04/2009 18:33:26 MDT.

josh wagner
(StainlessSteel) - F
closing stuff sack on 09/05/2009 08:42:22 MDT Print View

you could try 'goose necking' the stuff sack for your down. meaning, twisting it up like you're closing a loaf of bread, folding that twist downwards and then wrapping it w/ cordage. that's a water-tight seal

also, i noticed that you have a 1L platy for water and that's all i see for transporting/carrying water (unless there's another water container that i missed). i don't know where you're hiking, or the water availability, but around here i try to always have at least 3L capabilities. at the very least for getting into camp and only making 1 trip to the spring...

Edited by StainlessSteel on 09/05/2009 08:47:04 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
ultra sil on 09/05/2009 14:26:56 MDT Print View

the sea to summit ultra sil's are waterproof (roll top) and pretty light as an alternative

also the BPL pack liners are under 2 oz's and everything would be waterproof within it

^ 2.5 liters is what I carry for water capacity (two 1.0 and a 0.5 platy)- I could not get by w/ 1.0 where I hike- too many dry stretches up high

I like the 0.5 one as it's the one I use when water is plentiful, it's also the right size for a packet of gatorade or other electrolyte drink

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Shaving Ounces on 09/05/2009 19:03:48 MDT Print View

I found a few goodies yesterday at MEC (Canadian Equivilent of REI). I found some small food bottles that will be great for holding stuff like Olive Oil, Campsuds etc and they weigh about 1/2 of the ones I was using from Nalgene. Now my 'small food bottles' weigh 13g (0.5oz) instead of 25g (0.9oz) and my Campsuds bottle weighs 8g instead of 20g. I shaved off 1.5 ounces and it only cost $4.50.

I also got a lighter mug that weighs 1.7oz instead of 2.5oz for under $3. All told, I spent about $7 and shaved off over 2 ounces :)

For the stuff sacks, I think I'm going to wait until Zpacks is back in Operation for most of them. I'd like to use their 0.17oz (5g) cuben sack for my 'essentials', the 0.3oz (9g) one for my quilt and the 0.4oz one (11g) for my wife's bag. That will save a combined 130g or 5.1oz for a total cost of $43. Similar cuben sacks from MLD would cost about $75.

Regarding my water capacity, yes 1L is a bit low. I would add more capacity for longer trips where I am unsure of the water availability. All my hiking this summer has only been 2-3 day trips where I know there are streams everywhere. I just cook & camp near water and then fill up my 1L platypus when it's low. My wife has a 1L platypus as well, so when we are both below 0.5 litre we can just pool the water and fill up the other platy with raw water and let it start treating (chlorine pills).

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Ti Pot on 09/08/2009 02:04:51 MDT Print View

I bought a 1.3L Non Stick Evernew Ti Pot today from eBay ($38) which should shave a nice 140g (about 4.5oz) off my pack. In combination with my new mug and lighter food bottles, I'm down 0.4lbs this week.

I think I'm getting pretty close to being content with my setup. There is a lot of potential to shave weight with lighter rain gear. I could cut about 0.5lbs here, but I often won't be bringing it anyways (if the trip is short and the forecast is good) and my current gear works well, so I can't justify spending money on this right now. I would like to get some lighter cuben stuff sacks when Zpacks reopens or if I can find some elsewhere, but beyond that I'm just going to replace gear as it wears out (of course that's easier said then done).

Sept7 Gearlist

Edited by dandydan on 09/08/2009 02:06:21 MDT.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Changes - DriDucks! on 09/17/2009 15:35:42 MDT Print View

I can't believe no one enlightened me to the wonders of DriDucks yet. I came across them recently and bought a set on eBay for $11. They arrived today and they are awesome! 4.1oz for the pants and 5.9oz for the jacket (10oz total). That's a massive 10.2oz saved compared to my previous rain gear (13.4oz jacket, 7.6oz pants). At nearly a buck an ounce saved, that's a remarkable deal.

When I started this thread I thought I was pretty darn light at 13.2 lbs. Now I'm carrying warmer clothing, a larger pot, a camera, more water capacity and I'm down to 10.5 lbs. I love it :)

On some trips I'll be using my tent in fly/footprint mode and/or not bringing rain gear which means I can dip as low as 9 lbs on these occasions.

GearList Sept 17

I'm currently mulling over my pot handle situation. I thought my Evernew pot was going to come with handles built in, but I guess I got an older version. I might try to replace the 44g pot grabber with some gloves if I can find some good light ones that are capable of withstanding the heat. That would make them dual purpose.

I also need to get a lighter sack for my quilt (or not use one) and turn my attention to my worn gear. The pants I hike in are 326g and BPL sells the Thorofare pants which are 113g. That's pretty huge.

I'm also looking to add some UL spinning fishing gear my setup. I figure on a lot of trips I can more than offset the 1 lbs of fishing gear if I provide a few meals.

Edited by dandydan on 09/17/2009 15:39:59 MDT.

Troy Ammons
(tammons) - F - MLife
My General 3 Season Gear List on 09/17/2009 15:48:33 MDT Print View

Edit oh pot handle. Get some of these wool glove from moab sports. They work great. $8.50 2.8 oz

http://www.moabsports.com/web-pid-RWP2D10-Manzella-Mens-Medium-Weight-Ragg-Wool-Glove-item.htm

My complete alcohol cookset with stove and accesories weighs 4 oz so you could save some weight there and it really works. Cook in a bag, I boil, fill the bag, drop in in the container and put the lid on, and I wrap it with my dishclotch and a rubber band. Works well.

This one but with the heavier container..

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=24102&skip_to_post=195609#195609

Driducks are good.
Can be a little fragile and once dirty, impossible to get clean. Toss them and buy some more.

Edited by tammons on 09/17/2009 15:51:11 MDT.

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
re: Drik Ducks on 09/17/2009 20:05:33 MDT Print View

Dan, We let you down... glad you found the Dri Ducks. Just to let you know you are not alone. Here is a summary I posted some time ago after I went thru the gear lists for uses with rating over 1.0. Here are the jackets people were using and the count of users...

Dri Ducks - 7
Rainshield 02 - 7
Golite Virga - 4
Pantagonia Spectra - 2
TNF Diad - 2
Marmot Essence/Precip Plus - 2
Marmot Mica - 1
Sierra Designs Isotope - 1
OR Zealot - 1

FYI I used a Dri Ducks jacket on my last trip and it worked well. I only had it on for about an hour in rain, but I was pleased. I had been using a Golite Virga that served me well and I also recently purchased an OR Zealot. The Dri Ducks wins the weight battle. But my initial impression of the Zealot is that it will take over as my main jacket. If I wanted a balance between function+weight+cost I'd recommend the Virga.

Jamie

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Re: My General 3 Season Gear List on 09/18/2009 11:51:42 MDT Print View

"Get some of these wool glove from moab sports."
Those do look great. I imagine that any wool gloves will work for handling pots right? I'd like to find some locally because shipping costs to Canada would probably cost more than the actual gloves.

My complete alcohol cookset with stove and accesories weighs 4 oz so you could save some weight there and it really works.
Does this 4 oz indlude a small pot? I need a larger pot because I normally hike with my wife.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Re: re: Drik Ducks on 09/18/2009 12:00:36 MDT Print View

Regarding the DriDucks, ultimately I would like to get a more durable set of raingear like the Zealot, Virga or Marmot's Mica jacket (6.5oz) and maybe some GoLite reed pants but financially I can't justify those right now. I have some fairly expensive raingear that I bought last summer that still has a few years of life in it. I'm planning to just buy DriDucks as needed for another year or two and hopefully by then it'll be time to spend some money on a nice set of raingear. It's good to know what people are using so when the time comes my research will be up to date.

Good to know that DriDucks are impossible to clean.....I won't bother trying :)

Edited by dandydan on 09/18/2009 12:01:28 MDT.

Troy Ammons
(tammons) - F - MLife
My General 3 Season Gear List on 09/18/2009 12:10:55 MDT Print View

>Does this 4 oz indlude a small pot? I need a larger pot because I normally hike with my wife.

I have a 3 cup fosters setup that weighs 4.5 for one.

You would want to add another spork and a bowl or two.

Whats nice about the short CTL container is for bag cooking and eating. What I do as I mentioned above is place the bag in the container and put the top on to let it stew.

When I get ready to eat, I fold the edges of the bag down around the outside, and it makes it a lot easier to eat out of. You dont neeed a spoon with a handle a mile long.

You can also fold the edges down over the outside, pour the h20 in and put the top on and let it stew that way. When you open it up just dig in.

You could do the same with a couple of bowls and just stew in the big CTL container and eat out of the bag placed in the bowls.

An extra spork and 2 easy mack containers would work and would add 1.8 oz. so the total rig for 2 would weigh about
6.3 oz excluding the fuel bottle.

Also you can bag cook directly in a Barilla (sp?) tortellini bag, so those are good to go. I get 3 servings out of the large size.

Edited by tammons on 09/18/2009 12:15:47 MDT.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Stove on 09/18/2009 12:41:16 MDT Print View

You're making me want to buy another cookset for my solo trips. My current cookset is aimed at being able to cook more traditional foods with the FeatherFire alcohol stove (which can simmer) and the non-stick pot. This is what I want for hiking with my wife because she's a more traditional hiker than I am. I also like the larger pot for coffee since we each drink about 400ml of coffee so we need at least a 1 litre pot to boil that cowboy style.

For solo camping though I would like to get a setup like yours. It's seems very easy to use, in addition to being really light.

Troy Ammons
(tammons) - F - MLife
My General 3 Season Gear List on 09/18/2009 12:53:29 MDT Print View

Not much to buy really for the 3cup rig. One big fosters premium ale, and a tall country time lemonade.

Add a 12 oz heineken and a red bull if you need the pot support and cup stove.

If the 2 cup rig, then you also need a 24 oz heineken can and some JB weld.

Add the silicone tape if you want that, but its not absolutely required. They sell it at ace. I think its called extreme tape or something like that.

They sell those microfiber dish cloths at publix.

400ml is about 13.5 oz. A big fosters can will do 12oz. If you could convince her to bag cook on short trips you would be good to go.

Try some Pilon instant expresso some time, just watered down a bit. Its better than any other instant coffee I have tried.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
coming along nicely on 09/18/2009 20:16:59 MDT Print View

Dan- coming along very nicely- you'll be solidly sub 10 before you know it :)

<----- I've got a ways to go

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
My General 3 Season Gear List on 09/18/2009 20:34:05 MDT Print View

I'd add at least one Platypus container (2.5 liter Platypus bottle = 1.3 oz.) to give you more freedom for camping away from water sources. You also need two water containers if you're using chemical treatment (which takes several hours)--one to hold the water being treated and the other to drink from.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Platy's on 09/18/2009 21:13:06 MDT Print View

I do have 2 platyBottles on my gear list....notice that the qty is 2. Do you still think this is too low? I almost never camp away from water. I could replace one of them with a larger bottle but then it wouldn't fit into the side pockets of my pack.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Re: Platy's on 09/18/2009 21:24:41 MDT Print View

Dan, hope the ultra 20 is treating you well.
do you have SmartWater or Aquafina in stores? if so, both make a 1.5L bottle that is thin and tall. And i would argue that under favorable conditions, (that is water above 32° and/or clear) micropur tablets dont take "hours"
they take anywhere from 20-30min to kill most nasties..
but ive never known anyone to contract crypto in N.A. by waiting less than 4 hours. not saying it hasnt happended, just havent heard of it.

also, if you want to purchase more 1L platy's, why pay $9?
you can get these for much cheaper: http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/32oztravelerand8482.aspx

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Platy's on 09/18/2009 22:47:02 MDT Print View

Anybody have a weight on one of the 1L rum runner flasks?

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
rum runner wt. on 09/18/2009 22:48:33 MDT Print View

i got a .83oz for one

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Rum Runner on 09/19/2009 11:17:09 MDT Print View

Those Rum Runner bottles do look good and they are cheaper. The problem is that I'm in Canada and so the shipping is usually a deal breaker. On small stuff I'm better off just to buy whatever I can get locally. MEC has some knockoff platyBottles that are $6-$7 that I will probably buy.

The Ultra 20 is working great. I love it.