Forum Index » Gear Lists » My General 3 Season Gear List

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Jam Mods on 08/20/2009 22:11:09 MDT Print View

I just cut a decent amount off the side compression straps, while still leaving ample length for them to do their job as side compression straps. The total weight saved was 12g (almost 0.5oz).

Other Jam mods I've made previously are:
- trim sterum strap
- trim both shoulder straps
- trim waistbelt strap
- remove elastic loops off waistbelt strap. These are no longer needed once strap is the proper length
- remove hydration bladder
- replaced drawstring with a thinner one.

Off all these mods, the bladder and cutting the excess waist belt strapping were the biggest weight savers. The other straps are pretty light so you are only saving a few grams per strap.

My Jam now weighs 688g which is down 67g from the 755g that it weighed when it arrived.

I also snipped a few grams here and there from my stuff sacks and realized that I was carrying 2 too many pegs with my tent. So now I'm sub 10lbs :) It's nice to be part of the UL crew!

It's amazing how small weight savings here and there add up. Just a few weeks ago my gear list was over 13lbs and I didn't think there was anything more I could cut.

first sub10lbs gear list

Edited by dandydan on 08/20/2009 22:12:11 MDT.

Matt Fishler
(splizaat) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
jealous! on 08/21/2009 03:34:07 MDT Print View

VERY jealous of your setup!!! I am at 13 lbs now and have no idea where to start shaving more weight.

I think your scale might be reading slightly low though. My platypus 1.0L with just a normal cap is 1.5oz on my scale...If my scale is off, my bad! If not, everything in your pack could possibly weight a tad more.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: jealous! on 08/21/2009 09:17:32 MDT Print View

A 1 liter platypus bottle should be about 0.9 oz. Mine weighs that. Others seem to weigh 0.6 oz, but I don't know what year those were made. See the platypus website for weights too.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
My General 3 Season Gear List on 08/21/2009 10:28:57 MDT Print View

Matt - is 13 pounds too heavy for you?

I have looked over Dan's list and with no disrespect to him, that list would never work for me in the Banff, Jasper area. I would be way too cold.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: My General 3 Season Gear List on 08/21/2009 11:10:17 MDT Print View

David, at first I thought it'd be warm enough; he did mention the Flash jacket, hooded, puffy. For lows around freezing I'll use a 260-ish weight wool and a down vest or down jacket. But Dan doesn't have that midlayer, either. Dunno. The Flash packs a reasonable amount of warmth for the weight. For another ounce the Flight would add more loft but lose the hood... A midlayer might be a good thing to (gulp!) add? Depends on how much you're pushing the seasons, though.

Dan, one other thing I'm looking at would set you back maybe 45 bucks... your cookset weighs 9.4 ounces. Pot, lid, lifter. Pretty heavy for a 1L setup. Evernew 0.9L short is 4.1 ounces unaltered... ie w/lid and handles, for about the same volume. If you switch to a bike spoke bail you can cut another 1/2 ounce (haven't decided if it's worth keeping that way). Shedding the lid saves you another ounce or so, but I've found that the stock lid is far less fuss than foil.

Cheers-

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Re: jealous! on 08/23/2009 10:46:26 MDT Print View

Matt: "I think your scale might be reading slightly low though. My platypus 1.0L with just a normal cap is 1.5oz on my scale...If my scale is off, my bad!"

The 'platyBottle' is supposed to weigh 26g (0.9oz) according to the manufacturers website and my scale has mine at 28g. I think you are thinking of the heavier 'platyPlus' bottle which is spec'd at 38g (1.3oz).

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Re: My General 3 Season Gear List on 08/23/2009 10:52:39 MDT Print View

David: "that list would never work for me in the Banff, Jasper area. I would be way too cold."

Cold at night (sleeping) or while awake (ie. outside the tent)? I think that my sleeping setup is probably good to below freezing because I have a double wall tent, 20F quilt, NeoAir and I'm going to have some sort of hooded, insulating layer I can wear as well. Supposedly just the Ultra 20 quilt is good to about 30F, so with an insulated top I think I can push at least 25F.

On colder trips I'll bring my fleece pants which only weigh 5-6oz. Do you think that if it's say 0 Celcius and I'm hanging around camp in my flash jacket (if I get it) along with my rain shell and long sleeve Capilene baselayer that I'd be cold? The BPL review of this jacket indicates it's pretty darn warm.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Re: Re: My General 3 Season Gear List on 08/23/2009 10:55:56 MDT Print View

Brad: "one other thing I'm looking at would set you back maybe 45 bucks... your cookset weighs 9.4 ounces. Pot, lid, lifter. Pretty heavy for a 1L setup. Evernew 0.9L short is 4.1 ounces unaltered"

I'll look into this....but the cookset is a gift from my wife, hence my hesitation to deem it 'not good enough' and buy something else. That's how she'd see it. Although at 0.9L, maybe I could spin this as a cookset for times when I don't need a full 1.0L pot :)

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
re: My General 3 Season Gear List on 08/23/2009 11:20:59 MDT Print View

Hi Dan, You have done some great work on this list. As far as the cook set as a gift ... stick with it. It will mean more to your wife then a few onces on your back. Once you go below 10 lbs chances are people won't be able to buy you outdoor gifts anymore unless you tell them exactly what to buy.

On the temp question, realizing everyone is different, I would say that you should be fine down to 25 degrees. I've used a similar kit down many times to such temps. The only thing to make sure is to have a insulated jacket (7-12 oz), insulated hat (1.5 oz fleece cap or jacket hood), and fleece gloves (1.5 oz).

My only real thought is it is time to go test it out. I wouldn't suggest people make huge jumps without doing some testing along the way. Successful UL'ing depends on skill as much as gear. You made some big changes, now its time to go try it out.

Jamie

Edited by jshortt on 08/23/2009 11:28:06 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
3 Season Gear List on 08/23/2009 11:23:09 MDT Print View

Dan - sleeping and hanging out around camp. I think you may find the ground especially cold in those areas because of pretty nasty conduction. The wind can also be very cold at altitude. You may be fine in your area, but I was commenting specifically in the Banff, Jasper areas.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Re: re: My General 3 Season Gear List on 08/23/2009 22:15:29 MDT Print View

Jamie: "go test it out. I wouldn't suggest people make huge jumps without doing some testing along the way. Successful UL'ing depends on skill as much as gear. You made some big changes, now its time to go try it out."

Yeah I do need to get out on some longer trips soon. I've been on a few 1 or 2 nighters where I've used most of this new gear, but I really need to get out on a longer trip and a trip that pushes the limits of the gear a bit more. I haven't encountered rain or cold weather yet this season.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

New Changes on 08/26/2009 10:36:05 MDT Print View

I made a few changes yesterday to shave off weight. I found some chlorine tablets (1.7g for 10 litres worth) that I can use instead of my MIOX purifier (100g).

I also bought the MEC Uplink Jacket which currently weighs 264g but I have some modifications to make (update: Got it to 257g). That's a lot lighter than my fleece (471g) but I was already factoring in most of these weight savings. I also bought the footprint for my CR2 tent, but I was also already including this and it actually was 25g (0.9oz) heavier than expected.

What's next? I bought some methanol yesterday so I'm going to try my hand at making a stove tonight. I'm also droooling over some lighter weight rain shells, but I can't swing these financially right now. The Marmot Mica jacket supposedly weighs 198g (7oz) which is a lot lighter than my North Face Venture Jacket (358g or 12.6oz).

9.75lbs gear list

Edited by dandydan on 08/27/2009 01:09:38 MDT.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Realistically under 10lbs on 08/27/2009 01:21:55 MDT Print View

My goal for my gear list right now is to get my gear list to sub 10lbs while being more realistic. I will normally want to bring my tent body (instead of just using it in fly/footprint mode) and perhaps my fleece pants and rain pants. Right now I'm at 10.56lbs (with tent body), 10.9lbs with the fleece pants and 11.34 with the rain pants. I also probably need an insulating vest for colder trips.

Some areas where I can save weight are:
- Titanium Pot (save about 130g or 4.5 oz)
- Lighter Rain Shell (save up to 150g or 5oz)
- Switching to alcohol stove
- Lighter rain pants (save up to 90g or 3 oz)

A few smaller areas are: Titanium mug, Ti tent stakes, lighter stuff sacks and lighter boxers/socks.

The alcohol stove should save a lot of weight but this won't show up on my gear list because most of the weight saved is in the form of the metal canisters, which I've previously included in the consumables.

I found an old copy of my gear list from about 6 months ago which weighed 16.2lbs for a similar setup. It's encouraging to see that I've dropped about 5lbs or 30% in the last couple months. Over the last 2 years I've probably dropped 15-20lbs. I believe my old base weight was around 30lbs which included a 7lbs pack and a 7lbs tent.

Current Realistic Gear List:

Realistic Gear List

Edited by dandydan on 08/27/2009 01:25:43 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
map & compass? on 08/27/2009 07:56:04 MDT Print View

did you mean to drop those?

I also have dropped a pretty considerable amount of weight this year, but realistically won't be in the 10 lb range w/o some drastic re-shuffling of the big 3, currently I'm happy w/ my pack (Exos 46-39 oz) and happy w/ the tent (same as yours) and I don't see myself going any lighter on the bag (Marmot Hydrogen- 24 oz)- sooooo I'll probably bask in cutting my base weight in half for a while :)

most of trips are w/ my wife, so I do get to slough off a lb to her w/ the fly, I pretty much carry all of the items that might normally be shared, but it does get her base weight down very close to the 10 lb mark :D

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Re: map & compass? on 08/27/2009 10:32:23 MDT Print View

I did intentional drop the compass because I figured I don't need it for trips on well established trails.....I would bring it for longer more remote trips.

I don't know if I'm going to make 10lbs either for a realistic gear list. For an ultralighter, my pack and the tent are kinda heavy but hiking with my wife won't allow the use of a tarp or single wall tent.

Yeah most of my trips are with my wife too. That means I carry all the shared gear which results in a great pack weight for her. My wife's gear list is below, which is just over 8lbs but it might be missing some stuff.

Regardless of her gearlist, on longer trips she's going to be carrying about 13lbs total (with food, water etc) and I'm going to be lugging the rest of the stuff. So really buying lighter gear for her just means she can carry more of the food load.

tara gearlist

Michael Crosby
(djjmikie) - MLife

Locale: Ky
"map and compass" on 08/27/2009 10:43:42 MDT Print View

As in most cases,
the lightest and most useful piece of equipment is your properly trained brain.
See this
Mike

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Changes on 08/31/2009 23:07:32 MDT Print View

I've made a few more nice moves since my last gear list was posted.

I returned the MEC Uplink jacket (9oz) for the lighter, warmer and hooded MontBell U.L. Down Inner Parka (7.5oz). I've ordered Ti stakes (saves an ounce) after I found a great deal on eBay ($10 for 6).

I have a FeatherFire stove coming in the mail too. I can't wait to try that out, but I'm not having much luck finding aluminum flashing to make my own Caldera Cone. Home Depot only had 50 foot lengths of it for $40-50.

I totally redid my excel gear list last night for a much sexier look and more logical organization. I'll unveil it when this new gear actually arrives and I get the honest weights on all of it.

keith perkins
(echinacea) - F
Re: Fishing? on 09/01/2009 14:44:46 MDT Print View

dangit....now that you mention fishing it adds another set of "what do i need?" to my list.

hmm...fish fries while backpacking in the mountains.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Fishing on 09/01/2009 18:41:38 MDT Print View

Yeah I've been kinda avoiding weighing my fishing gear because that's a whole new can of worms. Soon I'm going to start researching an lightweight spinning rod and reel.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

No Deals on 09/02/2009 12:03:06 MDT Print View

I'm having a really hard time finding any sort of a deal on the MontBell U.L. Down Inner Parka. I thought I had a great deal lined up at BackcountryGear.com for $112 (retail $160) but the day after I ordered it I got an email saying there were actually out so I'm out of luck. Since then I haven't been able to find anything under MSRP. Most sites are actually $5 over MSRP so I'm better off buying it directly from MontBell for $160. This just bugs me because there has been a number of great deals on this jacket over the summer and I'm kicking myself for not acting soon. I really need this parka for a weeklong trip in mid-October so I gotta buy one in the next week or two....