Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Want to add mosquitto netting to a hammock

Display Avatars Sort By:
Matthew Huber
(m_huber) - F
Want to add mosquitto netting to a hammock on 07/31/2009 10:27:23 MDT Print View

Hello,
I have recently purchased an 11 oz. Amazonas traveller hammock. This is my first hammock, and so far, I love it. It served me quite well on the Rae Lakes loop and the High Sierra loop. However, the hammock has no protection against bugs. I would like to add bug netting, but I don't really know the best strategy to do this, or if it might be better to simply take netting and drape it over a cord next time.

So..
What is the best material to use? How much weight will bug netting typically add? Is it best to sew the netting onto the hammock, or is it better to drape it over the hammock? I have no idea what I'm doing, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Lori Pontious
(lori999) - M

Locale: Central Valley
bug net on 07/31/2009 10:45:15 MDT Print View

There are premade bugnets you can get... bugnetting is difficult to work with, but it's fairly straightforward to make pockets in edges, add velcro to close the ends over the hammock suspension and use small gear items to weight the netting over the edges of the hammock.

Thru Hiker and other fabric suppliers will have netting. Speer (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Supplies.htm) has all kinds of supplies for hammockers. Warbonnet (warbonnetoutdoors.com) has a ready made bugnet that goes with the traveler hammock they make.

Or you could get a second hammock with bugnetting attached - hammockers seem to acquire gear-geek syndrome pretty quick. :) The Warbonnet Blackbird is a nice one, all the rage at hammockforums, and then there are the usual - Speer, Clark, and Hennessy.

Matthew Huber
(m_huber) - F
Possible solution on 07/31/2009 23:46:55 MDT Print View

After thinking about this all day and looking at some links and posts at hammockforums.net, I finally came across this: http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultraquarterweight.htm.

I had an extra Coghlan's mosquito net laying around sized 48"x72" (not sure of the weight; it isn't much, but I don't have a scale right now). As a proof of concept I taped the netting to the side of my hammock, then draped it across to see if it is wide enough. I will have to do further tests with this, as I don't really have a place to hang my hammock inside my apartment (I could try to find a spot on one of the trees outside, but the neighbors already think I'm weird for riding a unicycle, and it is the middle of the night...), but it appears that the netting will be almost the right size for a minimal weight cost. As opposed to the NoSeeUm netting, which has extremely fine mesh, the mosquito netting has wider spacing, thus lower weight. I suppose that means that it could let some small critters in, but I am most worried about dealing with the skeeters right now.

I'm going to try to test this outside sometime this weekend to see what the coverage really looks like, and whether or not it hangs into my face. I hope this works out -- this netting doesn't weigh more than 3-4 oz., so it would be a much better alternative to most of the 8-16 oz solutions I've come across today.