More Recipe Testing - Chicken Pasta Salad - FBC
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dicentra OPW
(dicentra) - F

Locale: PNW
More Recipe Testing - Chicken Pasta Salad - FBC on 07/30/2009 10:35:10 MDT Print View

I have a desk job in addition to all I do with One Pan Wonders, so I squeeze recipe testing in where I can. The Freezerbag Cooking style of meals works wonderfully for easy work lunches so I often test just-add-water type meals right at my desk. I used raditore for the pasta in this one, which works fine in hot water, but took a LONG time (like 20-30 minutes) to rehydrate in cold water. I would use something like elbows or small shells next time I make this. Olive oil and Parmesean cheese will be added in the backcountry as well.

This one is a spin off of the pasta with salmon and artichokes I posted a few days ago. Still needs a name... Any suggestions?

1/2 cup (cooked and dehydrated pasta)
2 T dried chicken and/or turkey (mine is mixed together, along with some TVP)
2 packets True Lemon
2 T dried artichoke hearts
1 T dried peas
1 T dried mixed vegetables
1 t dried oregano
1 t chicken or vegetable buillion

At home: combine all of the ingredients in a zip locking plastic bag.

bag

In camp (or at your desk!): add cold water to cover. Stir well and allow to rehydrate. Stir again before eating.

hydrating

To give you an idea of how much food this really is, that tupperware container is a 2 cup capacity.

Normally I would just make the meal in the zip lock bag - the container is for ease of photography.

pasta

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
clarification on 07/30/2009 10:40:41 MDT Print View

Is the 1/2 cup pasta the post-dried measurement or the pre-dried measurement?

Edited by Laurie_Ann on 07/30/2009 10:41:14 MDT.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: More Recipe Testing - Chicken Pasta Salad - FBC on 07/30/2009 10:59:11 MDT Print View

Dicentra, thanks for the recipe- the pictures really help.

BTW do you dry your stuff in portions, i.e. 1/2 cup cooked pasta? or just measure out when you are done?
I would like anyone else to respond to this if they would like.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

drying on 07/30/2009 11:06:15 MDT Print View

I generally dry my pasta and rice in bulk and then measure before I put it on the trays. I put 1.5 to 2 cups of product on each dehydrator tray. Then I divide into portions that would equal 1/2 cup rehydrated. I do it this way because different types/shapes dry differently and I like to have an idea of how much water I need to add back in. Hope that helps.

Dicentra OPW
(dicentra) - F

Drying Pasta on 07/30/2009 11:06:53 MDT Print View

I cook and dry pasta a pound or so at a time. The recipe measurement is after cooking and dehydrating. For this pasta shape, there isn't too much difference.

I'm too lazy to pre measure... rehydrating is generally a 1:1 ratio.

Edited by dicentra on 07/30/2009 11:10:08 MDT.

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Re: More Recipe Testing - Chicken Pasta Salad - FBC on 07/30/2009 12:08:36 MDT Print View

Is all the rehydrating water absorbed? If not, what is a good LNT method for disposing excess water for rehydrating pasta? (I'm just starting to experiment with FBC and drying my own stuff--always used commercially-made before)

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Re: Re: More Recipe Testing - Chicken Pasta Salad - FBC on 07/30/2009 12:11:26 MDT Print View

David.... that's why I pre-measure... then I don't have to deal with draining or suffer with something soupy. Plus it takes mere seconds to measure and write it on the bag or a sticky note.

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Re: Re: Re: More Recipe Testing - Chicken Pasta Salad - FBC on 07/30/2009 12:20:04 MDT Print View

Thanks Laurie. I'm guessing from your description above volume measure is plenty accurate, even with chunky pasta shapes? I've tried weighing before and after drying, then converting lost water weight to a cup measure for rehydrating, but maybe that's too obsessive?

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: More Recipe Testing - Chicken Pasta Salad - FBC on 07/30/2009 12:23:13 MDT Print View

With pasta I often weigh it after drying to get portions. Most of the time the dried weight is nearly the same as before you cooked it.

On average I take 4 ounces for me, more for the boy ;-) 1/2 cup dried pasta would vary though in how much pasta you got by shape.

As for soaking, as Teresa mentions a 1:1 ratio works well for pasta and rice (nearly everything actually, outside of stews/sauces/soups). If there is water left, just let it sit a little longer - or in the case of pasta salads? Just add in Parmesan cheese and let it soak up the liquid! Tasty as well!

Dicentra OPW
(dicentra) - F

No draining on 07/30/2009 12:25:36 MDT Print View

Yes. All of the water was absorbed.

And ditto everything Sarah said above ^^^^ Or just drink the water. It won't kill ya! ;)

Edited by dicentra on 07/30/2009 12:27:34 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: No draining on 07/30/2009 12:31:40 MDT Print View

I have turned soaking water into a soup even. It was quite good....

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

or.... on 07/30/2009 15:11:30 MDT Print View

or you could take the moment to use the right amount of water thus keeping the nutrition and flavor in the food. If I want soup - I make soup... lol.

David, the weight method works for some things but not all. I hate doing the math so the sticky note works so much better for me. I'm creative not mathematical... lol. I also start with a smidgen less water than I have on the sticky note and add the remainder as rehydration takes place - if it needs it. That way I never have too much water, soupy food or water that I have to drink.

Edited by Laurie_Ann on 07/30/2009 15:14:22 MDT.

Dicentra OPW
(dicentra) - F

1/2 cup pasta... on 07/30/2009 15:14:19 MDT Print View

1:1 ratio of water/dried food to rehydrate... 1/2 cup water plus a bit for the other ingredients. Not more than 3/4 cup.

OTOH... one of the beautiful things about FBC is that you don't have to measure too much. Just add water to cover (see photo above).

Edited by dicentra on 07/30/2009 15:21:40 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: 1/2 cup pasta... on 07/30/2009 19:38:46 MDT Print View

And as Teresa knows from our many trips together, I often turn my dinners into soups if it was a long, dry day. Gets me hydrated easier and encourages my appetite at altitude. Hence, having flexible meals rocks big time.

Dicentra OPW
(dicentra) - F

Soup. on 07/31/2009 10:07:01 MDT Print View

After walking 15 miles and setting up camp, I don't care much if my food is a tad watery. It just has to taste good.

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Chicken Pasta Salad on 08/04/2009 13:29:51 MDT Print View

Speaking of desk jobs, I just ate this at my desk where I test drive the fbc recipes. I didn't have the artichoke hearts, but I had everything else, and it is excellent. I used the freeze-dried chicken from PackitGourmet and half a package of ramen noodles. This will definitely be in my pack on the next trip. These salads that don't need hot water are great for dinners, too. When we were out for a few days recently in hotter-than-usual weather a hot dinner was not appealing.

Jared Cook
(rooinater) - F

Locale: Northwet
Re: More Recipe Testing - Chicken Pasta Salad - FBC on 08/04/2009 16:13:10 MDT Print View

Measure the water? Why the hell would I do that? Carrying measuring devices adds too much weight to my pack... Guestimates and covering the meal has always worked for me, my FBC meals still turn out great. If and when I add too much you drink the tasty flavored water... Dry in bulk, and assemble later, or maybe that's cause I hike too much and don't like portioning before I dry...

Hmmm... a name... hmmm...

Lemon 'heart Salad?

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Chicken Pasta Salad on 08/04/2009 16:49:13 MDT Print View

Kathleen, I keep wishing that PIG will find freeze dried artichokes, Cause then life would be perfect :-D

Ooh, Did I tell you I bought out Fred Meyer's stock locally of the now discontinued baked ramen? That stuff is fabu in salads!

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

freeze dried artichokes on 08/04/2009 18:48:43 MDT Print View

Sarah - I'd settle for dehydrated, rather than freeze-dried, artichokes! I've got to figure out a way to get out ahead of you. The baked ramen is all bought up, apparently, before I've even had a chance to try it, and I've got my daughter in Oregon looking for pint freezerbags. Sigh.

As for the discussion about adding water, I'm in the not-measuring group. With practice, I can guess fairly closely on how much to pour into the fb's, and if it's runny, then that's how I wanted it after all.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: freeze dried artichokes on 08/04/2009 19:32:50 MDT Print View

Kathleen, well if you want any of the ramen...er, um, I have like 100 packs of it. Hehheh. I would not mind sharing some! I love that stuff and was sooooo mad when they quit making it!

PS: Tell you daughter to go to Wal-Mart. They carry the Pint size, but hide them.