Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hiking between Merced and Vogelsang HSC's

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim MacDiarmid
(jrmacd) - MLife
Hiking between Merced and Vogelsang HSC's on 07/29/2009 16:43:42 MDT Print View

I'm going to be going from Merced Lake to Vogelsang HSC next week. There's two trails, both about pretty close in length. One follows Fletcher Creek, the other Lewis Creek. Has anyone done either of these trails and could tell me about them (steepness, scenery, etc)?

Also, camp at Vogelsang lake at a distance from the HSC, or at Fletcher Creek at the backpackers campground? I'll have my bear cannister for flexibility so the bear boxes are irrelevant.

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
Merced and Voselgang on 07/29/2009 16:56:36 MDT Print View

James,

I'm looking to be poking around in that area this weekend, and found this trip report very helpful:

LINK

He mentions lots of campsites and has tons of photos. Click the "map" link at the bottom of the page to see what his route was. I believe he went on both trails you're asking about.

Jim MacDiarmid
(jrmacd) - MLife
Re: Merced and Voselgang on 07/29/2009 17:52:40 MDT Print View

He did, perfect, thanks. I wish I had the patience to write up trip reports that detailed.

Sean Walashek
(caraz) - F

Locale: bay area
its a climb on 07/30/2009 14:55:31 MDT Print View

Thats all I remember, a long steep climb of switchbacks out, then a nice plateau medow, then a longer, more gradual climb.