Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Backpacking/Flyfishing New England Suggestions
Display Avatars Sort By:
Victor Chien
(movementality) - M

Locale: New England
Backpacking/Flyfishing New England Suggestions on 07/29/2009 14:42:45 MDT Print View

Hi there. New to the forums and would appreciate any suggestions for a weekend itinerary for a backpacking/fly fishing weekend trip within driving distance of Boston.

My girlfriend and I are new to fly fishing and will be fishing two Tenkara (Ayu 6:4 and 12' Iwana) rods, so this trip is more about familiarizing ourselves with the new equipment than covering miles. Ideally, we would hike into a reasonable campsite with easy access to a good fishing spot for novices (minimal brush, wider streams?) and spend the majority of our time fishing.

Since we're new to fly fishing this is our first time planning a trip centered on it and we're in the dark on where to go. Any advice or pointers on resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Victor

Edited by movementality on 07/29/2009 14:55:31 MDT.

Walter Carrington
(Snowleopard) - M

Locale: Mass.
Fishing. on 07/29/2009 15:46:23 MDT Print View

I don't fish, but the Battenkill in and near Arlington, Vermont is supposed to be good. I've canoed there and it's a very pleasant weekend of canoeing with a campground in the middle. For hiking, it's not far from the Appalachian Trail, though roads there can be slow.
Battenkill Canoe is the place for info:
http://www.battenkill.com/
(kill is dutch for creek).

Victor Chien
(movementality) - M

Locale: New England
Central/Western Mass or New Hampshire? on 07/30/2009 07:55:24 MDT Print View

Thanks Walter for the Battenkill suggestion. Will definitely look into it.

Does anyone have suggestions for Massachusetts or New Hampshire?

Edited by movementality on 07/30/2009 08:20:38 MDT.