Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » so... what's on your food dehydrator today?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
so... what's on your food dehydrator today? on 07/29/2009 09:45:48 MDT Print View

I'm gearing up for another trip (we leave this weekend) so the food dehydrator is running full tilt with that and recipes I am testing for my next book. I'm drying several no-cook lunches - mostly dips and spreads as well as some Italian sausage meat (it has been precooked, rinsed and drained).

This always makes me wonder what other people are dehydrating.... so what's on your food dehydrator today?

Dicentra OPW
(dicentra) - F

Locale: PNW
Nothing today on 07/29/2009 10:36:24 MDT Print View

It is supposed to be 100* plus here today... Might run it this weekend if it cools down (and I don't go backpacking...).

I've used up most of my artichoke hearts testing recipes, so I'll do some of them and some roasted bell peppers...

David Stapleton
(KamperDave) - F

Locale: VA, DC, MD
Mmmmm... Bison on 07/29/2009 11:21:37 MDT Print View

Bison jerky. New dehydrator so a friend of mine and I are just starting to try it out. The bison jerky is awesome. Moving to fruits next, then veggies.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: so... what's on your food dehydrator today? on 07/29/2009 11:30:42 MDT Print View

Nothing. I haven't used mine in years.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Re: Mmmmm... Bison on 07/29/2009 11:50:31 MDT Print View

I'll have to try Bison jerky. I would imagine it's quite a bit leaner than beef and better for jerky making because of that... or am I totally off base?

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Bison on 07/29/2009 12:54:52 MDT Print View

Bison is leaner and has less cholesterol as well. We for the most part only eat Bison, though it is more expensive and of course, harder to find than beef.

While we enjoy the flavor, it can be quite different for those unused to it.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: so... what's on your food dehydrator today? on 08/03/2009 14:22:59 MDT Print View

Ahhh, mine is full right now with the skin, cartilage and fat from a roast chicken, as well as a can of gourmet catfood. I use it a lot to make doggy treats from whatever is leftover.

Joshua Gilbert
(joshcgil2) - F

Locale: Seattle
Re: "so... what's on your food dehydrator today?" on 08/03/2009 18:19:46 MDT Print View

20# of Roma tomatoes. Did 25# of apricots last week. I really have to get Sarah's book so I can try more prepared food.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: Bison on 08/03/2009 18:33:52 MDT Print View

You can get beef that's leaner than bison. Well, you can here at least. It's also easy to find at the local Kroger here.

Patricia Combee
(Trailfrog) - F

Locale: Northeast/Southeast your call
RE. what is on my dehydrator on 08/03/2009 18:45:01 MDT Print View

Left over chopped onions.

Dicentra, I never thought of dehydrating artichoke hearts; I will have to give those a try!

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: RE. what is on my dehydrator on 08/03/2009 18:54:08 MDT Print View

"Left over chopped onions."

Eeeeyw smelly!

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
so... what's on your food dehydrator today? on 08/03/2009 19:04:56 MDT Print View

I'm drying strawberry+electrolyte stuff

Jared Cook
(rooinater) - F

Locale: Northwet
Re: so... what's on your food dehydrator today? on 08/03/2009 20:13:24 MDT Print View

I ran it last week for one run. The one run included 6.4lbs of ground turkey, 25oz of canned chicken, and 3 cans of chili... As soon as I catch up on my homework I'll run it at least one more time before I head off walking for a week or 2. I need to finish my meal planning and decide what else to dehydrate for meals. Mainly I need to find the small token ingredients.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Bison on 08/03/2009 21:12:51 MDT Print View

Chris.....Ah but I'll say this: nothing tastes like bison. It made me a meat lover after years of not eating much red meat. I think for me it is 'clean' taste and smell when cooking. Bison steaks are just SO good!
I grew up on locally raised beef and never have been a lover of mass produced cow....

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: Bison on 08/04/2009 07:00:51 MDT Print View

I agree. It has a much more wild taste than any beef I've ever had and the pricing here is comparable to the leaner beef.

Ben Hicks
(mountainhick) - F

Locale: Rocky mountains
Rack space? on 08/06/2009 13:01:25 MDT Print View

Hey, I am considering buying a dehydrator. For those of you that use them, how much rack space does it take to dehydrate an average dinner for one/two or three people? I'll need to dry meals for three and am considering what size machine to buy. Looks like the rack size is 15x15" regardless of numbers of shelves.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Re: Rack space? on 08/10/2009 10:43:07 MDT Print View

It depends on the dinner. Generally speaking, I can dry one to two cups of food per tray (I use a Nesco FD75 Pro). At worst case scenario I would say two trays for three people. My unit expands to 12 trays and I sometimes run 12 at a time without issue.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

today... on 08/16/2009 11:47:41 MDT Print View

Today.. spiced pears and two unusual types of slaw. Yum!

Dicentra OPW
(dicentra) - F

Locale: PNW
Artichoke Hearts on 08/23/2009 12:55:57 MDT Print View

Yes! Try it!! It is probably my current favorite dried ingredient.

On my last trip (just a few days ago) I had an FBC style pasta w/ chicken, artichoke hearts and veggies. Topped with olive oil and Parmesan Cheese. Mmmm... heaven.

Coin Page
(Page0018) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern USA
Peaches on 08/26/2009 07:58:35 MDT Print View

Thin sliced ripe NC peaches.