There was some "minor" mauling on the lower half. I practiced sealing the scrap section about 5 times and also made a sorry attempt at giving it a mummy shape, which is how I found out you can't "rebond" the baffled bond lines. That said, I did keep it and plan on grabbing one of the thermarest valves to see if I can make any use of it.
Thanks guys. That's my first of many little episodes I want to put together. I'm just glad it actually worked...when you see me inflating it in the video, that is actually the first time I did it. It may not look like it, but I was pretty hyped when it didn't blow open. I had a bunch of other clips with me sitting on it and stuff, but youtube has a 10 minute maximum so I had to cut some stuff out.
I've updated the first post to include some information which I think is important during the process - just to emphasize a few key points.