What goes in your bear/rodent bag?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
What goes in your bear/rodent bag? on 07/28/2009 20:55:29 MDT Print View

Another newbie question - outside my food and trash, all that was in my hang bag was new ziplocs (simply for convenience), my spoon and toothbrush and toothpaste. I only boil water so I don't have to clean my cook kit. It is conceivable though that the cozy I keep my kit in could have lingering food odors from ziplocs placed within it. Should I have hung the cozy as well or anything else? I guess the same could be said of my pack since I had ziplocs with gorp in a hip pocket during the day but I always kept it in the tent with me at night unless I was at a shelter on the AT and then I hung it also.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
What goes in your bear/rodent bag? on 07/28/2009 22:57:24 MDT Print View

The cozy definitely goes in the bear bag/canister/Ursack. Even if you never spill anything when mixing the food I'm rehydrating (a goal I've never been able to accomplish!), it definitely picks up food odors.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: What goes in your bear/rodent bag? on 07/29/2009 10:47:43 MDT Print View

Yes, I always put my cozy, spoon and my cup in my Ursack :-) My pot I don't since I use it for water only.

As for my pack, I don't worry too much. I fear more having goats and marmots chewing on the salt ;-)

josh wagner
(StainlessSteel) - F
trash on 08/02/2009 20:19:02 MDT Print View

i put my trash in it as well...