Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
6-7 day hike in BC that allows dogs??
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
6-7 day hike in BC that allows dogs?? on 07/26/2009 23:40:16 MDT Print View

My wife and I want to do a longer hike in late October but I'm having a hard time finding a good trail in the area. We live in Whistler, BC.

My wife really wants to bring our dog (and I guess I do too because I don't want to pay $25/day for a kennel) which means that pretty much all provincial parks are out. Most National parks do allow dogs, but there aren't too many in the area (although we are willing to drive a decent distance).

One idea is something in Glacier National Park or one of the other national parks near the BC/Alberta border (Kootaney, Banff, Jasper, Yoho). There seems to be some good trails in the bigger parks (Banff, Jasper) but I'm a bit concerned how cold it's going to be in late October. These trails could be really cool, so I'm interested in hearing some feedback on how cold things will be and what some favorites are.

Besides these parks, the only long-ish trail I'm aware of that allows dogs is the Juan de Fuca trail on Vancouver island. That trail might be an option, but at 47km it's a bit short since we want to go for about a week and paying close to $200 round trip for the ferry (car + 2 people) sucks.

Thanks!

Edited by dandydan on 07/26/2009 23:41:15 MDT.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Re: 6-7 day hike in BC that allows dogs?? on 07/27/2009 04:52:35 MDT Print View

No idea on hikes, but d@mn you for having the luck to live in Whistler... :o)

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
6-7 day hike in BC that allows dogs?? on 07/28/2009 00:49:35 MDT Print View

If you head to Banff or Jasper in late October, be prepared to freeze your butt off. Check out the table part way down the page for average temps but keep in mind that the weather in these areas can get really cold very quickly. I wouldn't plan for the average temps if I was going at that time of year.

I also don't like to see dogs in grizzly country and if you take them in the National Parks, they will have to be on a leash.

Edited by skopeo on 07/28/2009 00:51:57 MDT.