Looking for people in the New England area for hiking trips
Display Avatars Sort By:
Peter Gurin
(intheswim) - F
Looking for people in the New England area for hiking trips on 07/26/2009 18:45:22 MDT Print View

Catskills, Adirondacks, MA, VT, NH.

I'm in Albany, NY and looking to meet others who want to head for any of these locations. Cheers! -Pete

my email is piotr_bentley@yahoo.com

Edited by intheswim on 07/26/2009 18:45:52 MDT.

ferris jrf
(ferrisjrf) - F

Locale: New England
New York/New England Forums on 08/05/2009 11:19:54 MDT Print View

Pete,

You may want to check out some of the more popular area-specific forums.

Views From The Top is more New England oriented and requires someone "sponsor" you before you can actually post...but you can read the forums without being a member.

ADK High Peaks Forum is more Adirondack (and to a lesser extent, Catskill) oriented, and doesn't require "sponsorship".

ADK Forum is Adirondack oriented, and is somewhat less hiker-specific, but still has lots of good info.

There's actually a "gathering" coming up near the High Peaks this coming weekend, and another one in Speculator, NY on 8/21, where you might be able to meet some people and make some contacts, if you were so inclined. Just a thought.

I spend most weekends in the Whites, but also get to the Adirondacks and the Catskills regularly, so feel free to PM me if you have any upcoming trips where you might like some company. I might be able to make some time.

Edited by ferrisjrf on 08/05/2009 11:23:42 MDT.

Angela Zukowski
(AngelaZ) - F

New England hiking trips on 08/05/2009 11:38:19 MDT Print View

I've been meaning to bring up the possibility of a BPL New England group hike for a while now. It's been mentioned before. Definitely look for that around the end of August (which is when my schedule finally starts to free up a bit)- it'd be a good way to potentially meet some hiking partners or at least participate in a fun trip. I'm hoping enough people will be interested in participating.

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Locale: Maine!
Re: New England hiking trips on 08/06/2009 12:43:42 MDT Print View

Exactly... we need more New England Chapter hikes (more than zero). I'm thinking of a Bonds Loop in the Whites on Aug 15/16, but I'm not certain yet.

And if anyone wants to join in with part or all of the hike I'm planning in October, I'll be on the Cohos Trail approximately September 26-October 3, all over the White Mountains Oct 3-13, and the Metacomet-Monadnock/Monadnock-Sunapee Greenways October 15-24. The Whites would be a cool place to meet up, but the southern areas are pretty nice, too.

Jonathan Ryan
(Jkrew81) - F - M

Locale: White Mtns
Re: New England hiking trips on 08/06/2009 14:13:05 MDT Print View

Keep me in the loop, I will be on the JMT mid to late August, but am always up for a good fall trip through the Whites.

Angela Zukowski
(AngelaZ) - F

Re: Re: New England hiking trips on 08/07/2009 07:18:39 MDT Print View

Ryan: I'm going to PM you about the Bonds because I have friends thru-hiking who might be right in that area next weekend... and my plans for those days just fell through.

Also, I think a BPL meet up in the Whites would be fantastic!

Frank Perkins
(fperkins)

Locale: North East
Re: Re: Re: New England hiking trips on 08/07/2009 09:17:53 MDT Print View

Keep me in the loop too. I was trying to organize a NE hike, but then I decided to signup for a BPL course so now my Sept is full ;-)

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Locale: Maine!
Re: Re: Re: Re: New England hiking trips on 08/07/2009 12:23:56 MDT Print View

The loop will stay open! For now, though, if anyone's interested:

Friday August 14 through Sunday August 16: Start in the evening at Lincoln Woods (near I93) and hike in 3 miles to Franconia Brook Tentsite, then do a big loop of the Owl's Head, Galehead, Bonds, and Wilderness Trail, camping either at Guyot or somewhere in the Pemi on the second night. That's a bit more than 30 miles total, with several options for adding more miles to catch other peaks. I'll play it by ear and see what happens.

Anyone in?

Angela Zukowski
(AngelaZ) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New England hiking trips on 08/07/2009 12:33:19 MDT Print View

I'm tentatively in! I want to see how my knee behaves in NH this weekend before I commit to anything :) but I hear good things about the Bonds!