November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Add an Ultalight D-Ring to Your Pack
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jason Klass
(jasonklass) - F

Locale: Parker, CO
Add an Ultalight D-Ring to Your Pack on 02/18/2006 23:04:25 MST Print View

Here's an idea for adding an ultralight D-Ring to the shoulder straps or anywhere else you want it on your pack. No special tools required: only scissors.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Re: Add an Ultalight D-Ring to Your Pack on 02/19/2006 02:20:31 MST Print View

Jason, nice concept; good thinking. One suggestion which comes from experience cutting literally thousands of cable-ties. The cut end of your cable tie is sticking out and can catch and tear delicate materials, including sometimes human skin. Here's how to deal with it:

a) buy a professional tool which pulls tight and auto-magically cuts the cable-tie very flat.

b) a small pair of diagonal cutting pliers (aka "*BEEP*"), like the very small Snap-on ones (i've found those work excellent)

c) here's the best solution for someone who doesn't need to cut a lot of cable ties: fingernail or toenail clippers, depending upon the size of the cable-tie being cut. The cable tie you used needs only smaller fingernail clippers. You can get a nice flush cut with the clippers.

Edited by pj on 02/19/2006 17:32:16 MST.

Jason Klass
(jasonklass) - F

Locale: Parker, CO
Re: Re: Add an Ultalight D-Ring to Your Pack on 02/19/2006 10:06:09 MST Print View

Thanks for the advice. I left the tag end longer on purpose so people could see it in the photo. I normally cut it flush with the lock.

Rodney OndaRock
(RodneyOndaRock) - F

Locale: Southern California
Re: Add an Ultalight D-Ring to Your Pack on 07/29/2011 17:06:45 MDT Print View

Brilliant and so simple.

I have been carrying the non-climbing carabiners, they come in reg, small, and x-small.
like the ones attached to sunblock tubes, or nalgene or the tiny LED flashlights.

now i will start using the zip-tie. excellent. thanks for the idea.