Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Stream crossings with one pair of shoes?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
Trowel free on 08/01/2009 23:21:38 MDT Print View

You can always just use a tent stake.

The fewer "tools" and "items" I take into the mountains, the happier I am.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Trowel on 08/02/2009 01:16:50 MDT Print View

Even in my heavy backpacking days I never brought a trowel....I was too lazy to pack one. It's very easy to create a cathole without one. Just roll a rotting log over, do your thing and roll it back.....or you could lift up some moss.....or just lift up a rock that is half buried, do your thing and then set the rock back on top etc.....I usually don't dig at all but rather find something 'pre-dug'.

Jack Newton
(figster) - F

Locale: Central Arkansas
Stream crossing. on 08/02/2009 06:21:23 MDT Print View

Sharp rocks in streams and creeks in the Ouachitas, which are my tromping grounds, are a concern. I use whatever pair of handy socks, and some old soles from boots or trail runners or whatever has not completely disintegrated. Works great most of the time!

The socks dry on my pack.

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Wet Feet/Shoes on 08/03/2009 16:21:47 MDT Print View

What I like to do is approach a stream crossing, then sit down on a nice boulder and remove my leather hiking boots, wool socks and sock liners. I then put on a new pair of socks and my stream crossing shoes. When I get to the other side, let's say about 15 feet, I sit down again and take off my stream crossing shoes and socks and dry my feet with a nice terry cloth. I then put my sock liners on again, then my wool socks and then the boots. When I get to the next crossing I do the same again and again.

When I arrive in camp, after midnight, I take my boots off, hang my river crossing shoes out to dry and put on my night time shoes just in case I have to take a potty break (and for Mike C I always to use an army surplus shovel and 4 ply tissue). Wake up again the next day and do it again! That's how my feet stay dry.

Edited by scottbentz on 08/04/2009 12:44:02 MDT.

scott burgeson
(DrDystopia) - F

Locale: Upstate NY
Grit on 08/06/2009 17:09:01 MDT Print View

I just spent a week in wet NH. After 6 days of walking through mud and streams my shoes and socks were full of grit. I did everything I could to rinse out my shoes and socks when I could but the trails being stagnate pools of black water and mud did not help much.

By the end of the trip the area where the lip of my trail runner meets my ankle was sanded to a nice mess. Duct tape solved this problem for the most part but how to you guys get around this.

I don't think a gaiter would help because most of the grit is coming in through the mesh of the shoe.

--scott