Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MSR Hubba Hubba HP Info Please
Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Fogarty
(mfog1) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: MSR Hubba Hubba HP Info Please on 07/26/2009 12:11:04 MDT Print View

I knew I suck you in............HA. Well, #1 for me, wiping down a tent is a unnecessary pain. and #2 I only carry 2 handkerchiefs.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
msr Hubba Hubba HP Info Please on 07/26/2009 12:24:33 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 12/02/2013 17:57:12 MST.

Michael Fogarty
(mfog1) - MLife

Tarp and bivy combo................ on 07/26/2009 13:20:31 MDT Print View

That's why I like a tarp and bivy combo, which works well in my neck of the woods anyway.
Been through some prolonged days/nights of rain, and managed to stay the driest, in this way.
I didn't really give my Double Rainbow a chance, but didn't care for threading the long pole through a long sleeve.

Better let this debate die, seeing as we've totally hijacked this tread. "Hubba Hubba HP"

Edited by mfog1 on 07/26/2009 13:21:56 MDT.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Re: msr Hubba Hubba HP Info Please on 07/26/2009 14:06:04 MDT Print View

David: "Note that if it is raining and you have to pack your double wall tent away, then both your fly and the inner will be wet (the inner arguably more so)....just like a single wall."

With my CR2, if it was raining and I was using my footprint, I could pack my tent body first.

If I didn't have the footprint along I could unclip the body of my Carbon Reflex 2 off the poles and then unstake the four corners of the body (the fly will remain standing because it's staked seperately with 2 more stakes). I could then fold the body into thirds (so it's ready to be rolled up) so the tent interior is protected and dry by the tent floor folded over top.

At that point, I could remove the fly and main pole and roll up the body OR if it was really raining hard I could just unclip the one side of the main pole and roll up the body while someone else keeps the fly standing. Either way, I can keep the inside of the tent dry while packing it up in the rain.

Okay we can get back on topic now :)

Edited by dandydan on 07/26/2009 14:12:53 MDT.

Michael Fogarty
(mfog1) - MLife

Re: Re: msr Hubba Hubba HP Info Please on 07/26/2009 14:25:59 MDT Print View

I have a Hubba, and can see your point of being able to remove the inner from the fly, but, it seems like it might be a chore to do so.
You'd probably want to stake the fly, and not the tent body, but you'd still need to pop the pole ends out from the fly and main body webbing grommets, and then pop them back into the fly webbing grommets. Don't know how easy it would be to un-clip the tent body from the poles either? Guess, I'll need to try this out? Thanks for the tips!

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
MSR Hubba on 07/26/2009 15:05:10 MDT Print View

I agree with Michael - theory sounds great - practice not so much. Dan we need pictures of that!

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Re: Re: Re: msr Hubba Hubba HP Info Please on 07/26/2009 15:18:47 MDT Print View

Michael, a lot of what you said applies to the Hubba Hubba and Hubba Hubba HP (which I guess is the point of this thread) but the CR2 uses a simpler pole structure where the poles do not extend to the corners so it's a lot easier.

To unclip the body from the poles, you would just remove the cross strut (easy) and get rid of it. No need to reconnect it to the fly. With the cross strut gone, you can easily unclip the body off the main pole (4 or 5 clips, all easily accessed). Now the tent body will drop down and lay on the ground. So far we are about 30 seconds in.

This is where the CR2 and Hubba Hubba tents differ. The Hubba Hubba tents have the poles going to the corners, so you can't really disconnect these without collapsing the tent. The CR2 main pole does not fork to the corners, so by unstaking the corners you can fold the sides of the body in.

I would remove the stakes at the 4 corners and not restake the fly. The fly would still be staked out at the vestibules and attached at the ends at the main pole so it would hold its general shape. If you wanted to quickly reinser the 4 stakes through just the fly it wouldn't be a big deal...especialy considering you'd only be doing this process once in a while.

With the 4 corner stakes out, you can fold the sides of the body onto itself (ie. fold the tent into a strip 1/3 it's original width). You couldn't do this with the Hubba Hubba though because the poles go to the corners of the tent.

Now you just need to roll up the body, but it's already protected because you folded the floor over on top. At this point, I would just take the tent apart normally, but you could unclip one end of the main pole and have someone hold the pole/fly in place so you can roll up the body while the fly is still on.

Edited by dandydan on 07/26/2009 15:27:11 MDT.

Michael Fogarty
(mfog1) - MLife

Doable, but not enjoyable on 07/26/2009 15:49:29 MDT Print View

OK,
I just un-clipped my Hubba's body from the fly, from within, or inside of the fly, with the fly attached to poles.
Its doable, but I would only do it, under downpour conditions.
Tried to do this in reverse setting up fly and poles (without a footprint) which is nearly impossible, and a good way to potentially break a pole.

I'll need to practice, but I'm pretty sure that I could have the inner tent folded inside the fly, lay them out, and slip the pole assembly between the two, which would keep inner tent dry,(during rain) and possibly erect the inner tent, to the poles while still being covered by the fly? Time to tinker now.
If the fly is wet, and packed separate, then you would need to slip the dry tent body under the laid-out fly, and still erect, like I already mentioned.

Edited by mfog1 on 07/26/2009 16:03:20 MDT.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Setup on 07/26/2009 16:13:46 MDT Print View

Good point about doing the reverse....it would be harder to setup like this than to tear down. I think I could still do it (it should be a bit easier with the CR2) but in downpour conditions it might be better just to get 2 guys to hold the fly over you (tarp style) as you setup the body, assuming you are in a group of 3+.

With the CR2, you could leave the tent body folding into thirds while you setup the fly (so you'd get rain only on the underside), whereas with the Hubba you'd need to unfold the body fully to setup the poles since they go to the corners.

This thread has been cool for brainstorming stuff like this. I doubt I would have thought of any of this without you guys and this thread.

Edited by dandydan on 07/26/2009 16:16:54 MDT.