Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 6-10 gallon bucket?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Locale: Southern Oregon
6-10 gallon bucket? on 07/19/2009 22:25:40 MDT Print View

Hi all - I think this is related enough to post, but I have to send a JMT resupply tomorrow and realized that my food for 2 people will not fit in a 5 gallon paint bucket - I'm really trying to avoid sending two. Any ingenious ideas for a hard sided shippable container that is 6-10 gallons? I think most restaurants only throw out 5 gallon buckets - if that was a thought. The only buckets I could find at lowes were 5 gal.

Thanks!

Chris

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
6-10 gallon bucket? on 07/19/2009 22:55:24 MDT Print View

If you have a local beer and wine homebrew type of shop, they often offer some larger sizes of plastic buckets.

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: 6-10 gallon bucket? on 07/19/2009 22:59:36 MDT Print View

I've seen pickles come in 6 gallon buckets also (same diameter as 5 gallon).

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: Re: 6-10 gallon bucket? on 07/19/2009 23:02:49 MDT Print View

Strap + tape 2 smaller buckets together, or 'stack' an extra 5 gallon bucket on the bottom and pack the food in the space between the bottoms...then strap + tape together.

George Phoenix
(perrito)

Locale: Joisey
Re: 6-10 gallon bucket? on 07/20/2009 08:31:53 MDT Print View

Take note about the weight:

" What is the cost?

We will pick up your resupply bucket at the Lakeshore (Huntington Lake) post office and deliver it to the Muir Trail Ranch and hold it for you for $50 per bucket.

***It should weigh at most 25 pounds (11.3 kg).***

For additional weight, we charge $2.00 per pound ($4.40 per kg). For options other than mailing the bucket to us, contact us by email for rates."

This is from the MTR website:
http://www.muirtrailranch.com/resupply.html

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
RE: 6-10 gallon bucket? on 07/20/2009 10:46:25 MDT Print View

We shipped food for five of us across the country to two locations using Rubbermaid or similar high-quality, tough storage boxes (the softer kind, not the brittle kind). We taped them well and had no problems.

We later picked them up so cost was not an issue. I'm not sure we would have used them if we would have had to leave them as they are are not the cheapest things around.

Roman Ryder
(RomanLA) - F

Locale: Southwest Louisiana
MTR on 07/20/2009 12:58:50 MDT Print View

If it's going to Muir Trail Ranch, I believe it has to be in a 5 gallon bucket. I gotta send my tomorrow too...I'm a week late already!

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Locale: Southern Oregon
MTR on 07/20/2009 14:11:39 MDT Print View

Thanks for the ideas.

I thought about the rubbermaid, but worried about durability.

In the end, I just used two 5 gallons, with one stacked underneath and then taped together to secure it.