Forum Index » GEAR » Waterproof topo map printing service?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tim Cheek
(hikerfan4sure) - MLife
Waterproof topo map printing service? on 07/19/2009 19:40:17 MDT Print View

Has anybody used a service that prints your maps in smudgeproof and waterproof condition from the GPS coordinates or map route you provide them?

Were you satisfied with them and would you recommend them?

I can replicate my topo routes on waterproof paper, but my printer isn't always giving me the detail in smudge proof form, and I assume a professional service would have the highfalutin equipment I don't have for a better job.

Sean Walashek
(caraz) - F

Locale: bay area
REI does it on 07/19/2009 21:35:40 MDT Print View

I have used the topo kiosk to make a waterproof topo a couple of times in REI. The scale can be adjusted, when 1:24000 you will never get a map as big as a quad, they are uaually like 1/3 a quad in size. Ideally I would get a quad and fold it and stick in a mapcase.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
MyTopo on 07/20/2009 00:28:44 MDT Print View

I think I used a company called MyTopo.com once, but then I moved near an REI and just used their kiosk.

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Locale: Western Australia
Re: MyTopo on 07/20/2009 06:46:30 MDT Print View

REI have a kiosk for this? do tell more please I would love to pass the info onto a shop I deal with here, in Australia.

Cheers

John Brochu
(JohnnyBgood4) - F

Locale: New Hampshire
re: map on 07/20/2009 06:58:03 MDT Print View

I just used Mytopo. You can do 1:24000 and print a really large map to cover a decent area, far more than the largest sizes available at the REI kioks. It's expensive though, about $30 for the largest size on waterproof paper.

I'm going to have to check my local REI - they used to have a kiosk several years back but got rid of it. I'm hoping maybe they brought it back since you guys all say your REI has one.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

REI kiosks on 07/20/2009 07:42:56 MDT Print View

Yeah, well, the REIs I'm referring to are the flagship in Seattle and the branch in Tacoma... :o) I've been in Europe for the past couple of years, using local maps.

I thought you could use MyTopo for about $15. Has the price gone up?

Mark-

Yes, it is basically a high-grade printer stocked with large sheets of waterproof mapping paper, and a computer running some version of a commercial mapping software with a touchscreen interface. It was USA only. I think it was based on a modified version of some commercial map software, like TOPO, or something.

Edited by acrosome on 07/20/2009 07:49:35 MDT.

John Brochu
(JohnnyBgood4) - F

Locale: New Hampshire
re: maps on 07/20/2009 08:21:02 MDT Print View

It might be $15 for the smaller sizes. The size I got is huge...!

Tim Cheek
(hikerfan4sure) - MLife
Input my route on 07/20/2009 17:47:23 MDT Print View

Do they just print out a topo map of the area?

I've inputed a route on a topo! map, and I want them to print it out as I've traced it.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Re: Input my route on 07/25/2009 06:16:17 MDT Print View

Not sure- never tried it. I would imagine that if the route was traced on the print preview that it would be printed.