Tarptent vs MSR
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Tarptent vs MSR on 07/22/2009 13:29:45 MDT Print View

Yes - a buddy of mine has one. I am 6'1" and fit. However, he is 6'4" and has to sleep diagnal. The Rainbow is definitely longer.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Hmm on 07/22/2009 13:55:02 MDT Print View

Strange....BPL measured the CR2 as an honest 84" (7 feet) in length in their review of it. I don't see how someone how is 8 inches shorter than that would need to sleep diagonal unless they use a large pillow or something. The CR2's floorspace is usable right to the walls.

I'm 6 feet right on and I have a lot more than 4 inches extra. As I said, my 20lbs dog sleeps below my feet.

Edited by dandydan on 07/22/2009 13:56:12 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Tarptent vs MSR on 07/22/2009 14:14:19 MDT Print View

Most of us sleep in sleeping bags. My Montbell SS UL #2 long is 84" long (thanks to loft). That means that if I am in my sleeping bag, each end will touch the walls. Because the walls slope slightly, you are not getting the full 7 feet of length, anyway that you want to slice it.

My friend uses a bag that is 88" long. He could not use this shelter with another person.

By the way, BPL used the Manufacturer's spec for length.

Edited by FamilyGuy on 07/22/2009 14:16:03 MDT.

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
7'? on 07/22/2009 14:25:00 MDT Print View

There is now way that the 7' length is usable to the walls unless you have a thickness of around 4" or sleep in the center. If the length was from the door to the back wall but no from side to side. Not with those corners that slant in. So I guess if you are tall, sleeping in a summer bag and sleep in the center you might not touch.

Yeah, to me it seems like a slightly more stable DR for twice the price.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Re: Tarptent vs MSR on 07/22/2009 17:02:47 MDT Print View

David: "By the way, BPL used the Manufacturer's spec for length."

BPL measured the length. I quote from the review: "The length is 84 inches as specified."

The wall at the sleepers head end is near vertical in the lower 10" or so, so there is little loss of length on this end. You can see this in the photo below left.

On the foot end, there is some inward slope in the corners but you still have a foot or so of vertical wall in the center, and even in the corners you lose a couple inches max. As you can see from the overhead shot (below right), someone sleeping in the middle of the tent would indeed get the full 7 feet, while someone sharing would have a few less inches.

cr2 length

Edited by dandydan on 07/22/2009 17:08:44 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Tarptent vs MSR on 07/22/2009 17:12:25 MDT Print View

Yes - specified by the Manufacturer. I can only see in the article where BPL measured the width because the two pads were touching.

What Brett said is that if you were on a pad, there is no way that you actually get 7feet or whatever it really is because of the slope of the walls.

I don't want to get into any sort of contest whether the CR2 is big, small, or any good, but compared to a TT Rainbow it is noticeably shorter and almost the same width. The Double Rainbow is much wider. I can only relate what my Buddy said regarding the CR2. He likes it but it is short for him.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

-- on 07/22/2009 17:27:29 MDT Print View

Oops, I was a bit worked up there....my apologies. I'm cool headed again now. You're right that the Rainbow is longer and thus better suited for people significantly over 6".

I do think that BPL did measure the length in their review. Here's the full paragraph. My understanding of the wording is that they measured the length at 84" which confirmed MSRs specification. I can't imagine Will not measuring the length since he put so much time into the width measurement.

"Although the tent floor is specified to be 50 inches wide, I measured it at 40 inches wide seam to seam in the center of the tent. I reported the discrepancy to Cascade Designs, and the response I received from their tent designer was: "We measure the floor width from the widest point inside the tent, which is near the stake loops". I measured the tent floor between the stake loops at the ends of the tent, and found the width to be 46.5 inches. The extra width at the ends of the tent has little practical use; the center of the tent is 40 inches wide, not 50 inches as implied in MSR's specifications. The length is 84 inches as specified. This means the floor area is actually 23.3 square feet, rather than the specified 29 square feet."

Edited by dandydan on 07/22/2009 17:30:29 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Tarptent vs MSR on 07/22/2009 18:47:38 MDT Print View

Yes - then I would agree that it appears they did measure the length @ 84".

Now you just need your ankle in shape so you can go out and use it....

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Ankle on 07/22/2009 19:14:24 MDT Print View

Yeah the ankle is a bugger....it's okay under normal use but a slight twist is excruciatingly painful. I've got a 3 day trip coming up in 2 weeks....hopefully its ok for that.

Gotta buy a NeoAir before then too since the baffles blew out in my current mattress (MEC Kelvin Summer Pad) recently.

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
MSR on 07/22/2009 20:42:12 MDT Print View

Sorry about the first post and the tone of some of the others but the main picture they show for it is quite misleading. Just being very tall I get a little bent out of shape with all of these tent manufacturers give very subjective measurements. I order the tent, get it in, set it up, get inside, and then have to send it back because it is too short. And I am out $15-20 for the shipping each way. It does add up after awhile.

Aaron Lastname
(Cloudveil9) - F
CR2 on 07/22/2009 21:19:06 MDT Print View

Dan,
How would you rate the space on the CR2 for two 6' + people? What about these same people plus gear? What about 2 people plus a dog, and 2 people plus a dog and gear? Just wondering how it would perform in all these scenarios at under 30 square feet.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Tarptent vs MSR on 07/22/2009 21:28:13 MDT Print View

Aaron - you should become a member and read the review. Many of your questions can be answered.

Support the cause.

Aaron Lastname
(Cloudveil9) - F
CR2 on 07/22/2009 21:36:55 MDT Print View

I hear ya about measurements Brett...Plus I don't understand why the manufacturers in this industry seem to think the average male is 5' 6" 150 lbs.... ;) Support the cause? So many causes not enough $. ;)

Edited by Cloudveil9 on 07/22/2009 21:42:21 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Tarptent vs MSR on 07/22/2009 21:49:23 MDT Print View

Just sell some gear....; )

Aaron Lastname
(Cloudveil9) - F
Stuff Sacks on 07/22/2009 21:54:02 MDT Print View

Would you like to buy a bag of stuff sacks for $24.99? :)

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Tarptent vs MSR on 07/22/2009 22:31:08 MDT Print View

HA!

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Re: CR2 on 07/22/2009 22:33:09 MDT Print View

Aaron: "How would you rate the space on the CR2 for two 6' + people? What about these same people plus gear? What about 2 people plus a dog, and 2 people plus a dog and gear? Just wondering how it would perform in all these scenarios at under 30 square feet."

I believe MSR claims a floor area of 29 square feet (50" x 84"). In the BPL review Will measures the width of the tent at 40" and then uses that times the length (84") to come up with a figure of 23.3 square feet. I believe the actual floor area is between these two numbers because the tent does get somewhat wider towards the corners (think hourglass shape). Will measures the width at 46.5" near the corners so the average width as measured by will is more like 43" which correspond to around 25 square feet I'm guessing. Measuring the CR2 is a bit of a grey area because the edges of the floor do not have a clear edge and the walls lift up the floor so depending on how loaded the tent is, the width varys. I do feel that 42" is a fair number for the width of my tent at the narrowest point (the middle) so considering it's 46.5" at the corners my tent probably averages about 44" wide. By loading down the tent near the walls I can achieve a 46" wide floor in the center but this is unrealistic because I'm purposely pushing the floor down which isn't something you do while sleeping. Anyways, my point is that the actual square footage is likely in the 25-26 square feet range.

To answer your questions, for people around 6' I feel that the length of the tent is not an issue. I am 6' right on and the tent seems plenty long when I sleep in it. David has said he fits at 6'1" but his friend doesn't at 6'4". Using a 72" sleeping pad as a reference, as long as you (in your bag) aren't 8" or so longer than this you should fit. That leaves 4" to allow for the slope of the walls.

With two adults in the tent, you will be taking up the entire width of the tent when you sleep. I don't find it uncomfortably crowded (I would share this tent with someone who is not my wife), but there certainly isn't room to toss a pack beside you.

The only extra floor area that you might have is 6-10" at the head (or foot) of the tent because the floor is about 7 feet long and a 6 foot person in a sleeping bag probably measures about 6'6". You could possibly put your packs at your head (or feet) but the would definately be contacting both the tent wall and your sleeping bag. My dog normally sleeps at my feet in this tent but she is small (19lbs) and just fits. I generally do not keep large gear in the tent with me and this gives the tent a spacious feel in the length regard.

For the gear, I normally bring my pack with me into the tent while I get ready for bed. Then when I'm ready to sleep I put both packs outside in the main vestibule along with our shoes that are already there. A medium sized pack will not fit through the vertical zipper into the far vestibule. You could pass your shoes through to this vestibule but then you're passing dirty footwear through your tent. If I have a lot of gear I actually put it in the far vestibule by removing the stake holding the vestibule down, tossing the gear in and then re-staking the fly.

If you brought a large dog in this tent with you, it would probably end up sharing some square footage with you. It could probably sleep between the two of you down at your legs but it would be on your sleeping pads. 2 full size (72" x 20") pads take up pretty much all the width of the tent and only leave a foot or so of space at either the head or feet.

Really what you need to know is that the tent width isn't generous so your sleeping bag will probably be brushing the sleeping bag next to you. You won't feel like you're spooning though. I don't think it's uncomfortable but people who really like their personal space might find it tight.

Also, I wouldn't plan on keeping much large gear in the tent with you. If you are okay with the width and don't mind using your vestibules for the packs then you should be fine. Honestly, if you have a 70lbs dog then it's probably going to be a bit tight in there. The dog will probably wind up partially laying on one of you.

Okay this is getting long....I think I've covered the question :)

Edited by dandydan on 07/22/2009 22:43:00 MDT.

Aaron Lastname
(Cloudveil9) - F
CR2 on 07/23/2009 06:31:21 MDT Print View

Wow Dan,
Awesome detail, thanks for the insight.

Don Ashton
(dash1730) - MLife
TT Scarp 1 vs. MSR Reflex on 11/01/2009 17:13:38 MST Print View

One difference between the tents that turned me on to the Scarp tent is that the inner tent is 90% fabric, not mosquito netting. I value the extra insulation and resulting 5-10 degree warmth the solid wall provides.

Initially I was unimpressed with the 2nd door but after using it on 4 backpacks, I am appreciating it's benefit. It makes for more versatility in sites and orientations, and even changing my mind. The Scarp 1 is plenty roomy for me at 6 feet tall and all my gear, including backpack. I'm and have ample room.